Here's what i've got so far

Governmentchz

Hi all, I've lurked here for a good while, long enough to know this is a place where one can get expert help, guidance and opinions that can make this hobby more fun and successful for all. With that in mind, I decided to post this here. I'm a big boy, and welcome thoughts/ ideas on how I can make it better. I will attempt to list and show some of my progress. It's slow-moving, by choice, but this part has been fun for me too. So, here goes:

I started off getting an armoire-type cabinet call the Bud Buddy ( Bud Buddy | ). I opted to get the box only as I wanted, and felt, I could make improvement on the guts. I wasn't satisfied the LED light that was available was good enough so ordered a TOPled from Sara (got the 140x5w on the way, but not here yet) 140x5w - $397.10 : TOPLEDGROWLIGH, Solutions Limited,LED GROWLIGHT,LED BULB,LED TUBE,grow lights,t5 grow light,hps grow light,fluorescent grow light,grow light bulb,grow light bulbs,marijuana grow light,growing light,cfl grow light,indoor grow light, . I also got an Eco-Air 4" 175 CFM inline fan, canlite carbon filter and fan controller. The cab came with many pre-cut holes for cords, ventilation and odor control. I mounted the fan on top pulling the air and made a smart little PVC frame as support. The grow shelf it all sits on is removable and I suspect I will remove it to allow for bigger plants. The PVC support is only hand fit )no cement) so I can add the longer supports for when I remove the shelf. one added benefit to using this framework is that it allows for the adjustable attachment for cli-on circulation fans. I have some pics of my progress, but apparently not a high enough post count to allow it. soon hopefully. Unless I figure out and realize it's just me and can actually accomplish it.

I've still not fully decided on grow method. I like hempy+LF, but have all the stuff to make a full-on DWC successful (i.e. 24/7 PH/temp/TDS monitor and chiller). Some questions I have are regarding the additional holes. Do I put some smaller axial fans in there? Do I just plug them? If so, with what? There are 2 6" holes in the top for HPS light cooling, but since I'm going LED, I don't need them and need to cover them with something. I'm sure I could cover most of the unused holes with a small piece of wood or something. Hell maybe even a paper plate. But I'd like to keep it a little more high-brow than covering holes with paper plates.

Your box is close to what mine is if yea look at my grow. If I were you I would move the filter out of the box if you don't need to to be hidden. I have found space is something to not over look. This is what I plan to do on mine once my present grow is done.
box85.jpg

Hey, thanks for the feedback crazycarl. That is something I'll definitely consider. I also have a chiller and a few other things that will be outside the actual box too. My reasoning for doing it the way I did, was to help with 2 things; 1. I didn't need to have any duct spread about and, 2. the PVC framework provides a handy place to clip fans and such. I think I'm pulling out the shelf this evening and extending the PVC eiffel tower all the way to the bottom. Doubt I'll need the shelf and the extra headspace will almost definitely be needed once this gets rolling.

30"d x 42"w x 74"h . It's my intention to only run 2-3 plants in it and just lst them, scrog or whatever I can to maximize yield. I'm not too big a fan of 10 straight sticks, but if that's what i end up needing to do to get the most of my space I will. I've been putting this stuff together (both funding and parts) for a few months and am still in no big hurry, but the more pieces of the puzzle I get, the more excited I become.

Oh I like the idea on the PCV for fans. I might have to adapt that to my box for the fans

Well, in reality, there is really very little loss of space. If the light can get under the can, and the plants can use the space, I'll let them. Just the actual space the can itself takes is lost.

Make sure there's good air intake to allow air exchange,if you have a extraction fan pulling, without an inlet the fan will work to hard and co2 levels will dip too low, that's a cool can sometimes I wish I had solid Walls my 445 cfm caves in my tent walls even with all my vents wide open ! Lol
IM gonna suggest you research into high brix growing it's possible to grow hydro sized bud that's above organic quality! The simplest way is to buy docbuds kit and a bale of promix HP & a bag of worm castings AnD follow his directions I use coco so I invented my mix thru research,trial & error, that and I already had so many ammendments lol your starting out much nicer than I did I had a 2x4 closet and cfl's go see my first journal for vids very humble beginning in indoor growing,,I hope you start a journal I want to see this bewitched make some nugz

Only reason I mention space is I am out of it but still try and add a plant in there here and there. You got good plan your close to starting IMO. At this time I would figure out if your going soil or hydro. I would recommend soil easy cheap and can move to hydro when you want. Get yourself a light and your ready to grow. That is truly when your box design or layout will get worked over. What you envision in your mind a lot of time will change as you adjust to real world happenings. Still plus reps man for wanting to do it right +reps

Thanks guys. As far as intake is concerned that's one of my questions. In the roof of the cab, there are 2 x 6" holes originally designed for HPS ventilation. I won't need those so will try to cover them up. Additionally, there are 4 x 4" holes in the back wall of the cabinet for intake (I assume). 2 in the main chamber above the shelf and 2 under the shelf area. I have some leftover 4" PC fan bracket screens that I can use to cover those holes and filter intake and keep any unwanted pests out at the same time. There are also 3x 2" holes for electrical cords. Not sure how to secure them and will need them for cords anyway.

My light will be here Wednesday and will go in straight away. At that point, I will be ready to make the decision on growing method. I originally planned on a hydro tub, but I seriously am considering the hibrix method. BID's results can't be argued with. It's just like speaking Klingon to me right now so some research and understanding is in order there.

All this is in a spare room (all 5 kids are grown and gone now WOOHOO!) wait...I mean, I miss them terribly :geek:

Thanks for the encouragement gents. I'll bring more pics when I get the light in a couple days.

Hi Carl, yes, I've grown before. Had some very nice grows back in the 70's-early 80's, but all outdoor grows. Back then it was all about volume and leaf mattered...lol. Things have changed a bit not the least of which is being asked to drop $350+ for a zip of good stuff. Damn that. In the past I've been able to grow just about anything, but the caveat is, this is my first attempt at a legitimate indoor grow. My only desire is to supply myself and wife who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and PTSD. 7 years of therapy and some good herb has done as much to help her as that crazy cocktail of meds she's been on. They've turned her into an unmotivated zombie. I'm in a non-medical state ri ght now so it's with a good bit of trepidation I decided to begin this undertaking now the kids are out.

I took a few minutes this eve to remove the shelf in the box and extend my support structure. I also covered one of the top holes with a small piece of wood just to see.

BID, in the larger pic, you can see all the vent holes I have. The larger ones are 4" dia and the smaller ones are for cords. I will probably screen the larger ones and leave the smaller ones.
modular_stilts.jpg

one_covered.jpg

Welcome Sara. :welcome:

Since this is still in the build stage, I'll leave it here. Once I actually put this all to work, I'll do a journal...maybe. :loopy:

Only reason I asked was your still considering the hydro soil debate. I would say that with you being kind of new to indoor. Go soil it;s easy my grow I have not even had to fertilize. Just water and light. That way you can see how you box grows and then adjust and get the feel from there move to hydro. I know it easy to see the big hydro returns but look at some of the good spoil grows. There is not a ton of difference when grown well.

Good advice and certainly an angle I'm considering. If not straight soil, then I'm considering hempy for it's low-maintenance and solid results, but I need to learn more about high brix before I decide. I have about a week or so before i can stop using "parts-gathering" as an excuse any longer...lol

Don't rush it. I can imagine you wanting to get going growing your medz but be methodical in your planning. I won't have anything going for some time and I've gone from A-Z and back to A, planning on... Coco , Super soil (organic) , soil-less (pro-mix) ,ebb n flow to a top drip recirculating system. I'm 95% certain I'm going to do a top drip utilizing my flood table. I stated out on the top drip wanting to do a 100% perlite as the medium then I read TheCapns journals and now thinking about his rock wool croutons. I've also had experience with hydroton so now I think I'm going to have a go at 8, 3.5 gal , recirculating top drip , 2 with perlite , 2 with TheCapns croutons , 2 with hydroton or what ever they call it at the time I re-domicile , 1 mixed perlie and hydroton and 1 with river pebbles. Pretty sure on GH , leaning towards Lucas but.....
The point I'm trying to get across is that I can 100% guarantee once you have your plan in operation you will say , WTF , I should of seen that or son of a bitch it's too big or what ever.... Plan Plan Plan , measure twice cut once.

Peace

(my flood table is too shallow for an ebb n flow with the size of containers that I need to use, it's only 4 1/2" deep and the containers are 9"x9'x10" , however .....) It never stops.

Good advice and certainly an angle I'm considering. If not straight soil, then I'm considering hempy for it's low-maintenance and solid results, but I need to learn more about high brix before I decide. I have about a week or so before i can stop using "parts-gathering" as an excuse any longer...lol

Back
Top Bottom