Setting up my first grow - What I've learned, Power Use and Questions.

sativacat

Hello folks!
I am new to this hobby and have been really enjoying reading up on all the information on this and a couple of other forums. In the end I decided I was going to focus on one forum and try to share what I could on that (this) forum. First I want to thank you all that have shared your knowledge and experience making it possible for a newbie like myself to point and click their way into a first grow. The passion some of you show is infectious and I do believe I have become infected!

My goal is to grow for personal use. I forget where I read the following words though I have adopted them as part my mission statement. "No smell, no tell, no sell."

To this end I decided that a grow tent would be more than enough for my small self.
I have ended up with the following:

My Setup:
Lighthouse Hydro Tent 2.6'x2.6'x7'
topledgrowlight.com 96x3 LED Light
4" 190cfm inline fan
Variac AC/AC transfomer to drop fan voltage (reduced sound!)
18" carbon filter
3 clip fans from a national store you all know and love
Beans from Attitude
- Black Skull Seeds Five-o (Sativa)
- Pyramid Seeds Alpujarrena (Indica)
- Delicious Seeds Cheese Candy (Hybrid)
- World of Seeds Medical Collection Northern Lights x Big Bud (Indica)

What I have learned and I would like to do about it.
* Even with a very tall closet for my grow I probably could (should) have gone with a 5' tent. Time will tell how big my sativas get.
* The 190cfm fan is damn loud. A variac running at 50-60v makes it whisper quiet.
* The cheap chinese light is louder than expected and may not have enough light. Planning on replacing for budding.
* Impatience is a bitch. I keep checking on my little seeds to see if they have peeked their cute little green heads through the soil yet. I am glad I picked up 2 quick blooming strains for the first grow (The first two on the list above).
* I am indeed paranoid. I am intent on keeping as low a profile as possible. I thought long and hard before deciding to create an account here and post anything at all. Let alone photos. Ive installed an encrypted camera app on my phone should I decide to document with photos. Pix are encrypted with AES256 and I have yet to take the time to figure out how I am going to get them off the phone and onto here. Any documentation on my computer is stored on a truecrypt encrypted SD card and I am accessing this forum via TOR. I suspect that many of you will call me out on all this as silliness though before you do allow me to preemptively defend myself. It makes me feel better! -- So there.
* Waiting for seeds from a seedbank is annoying and I lack patience. If all this proves successful I will likely use my cheap chinese light in a second, smaller tent as a cloning and/or seed making tent. I'm curious about the whole colloidal silver process and would like to give it a shot.

Power Use:
While I didn't expect to be using a lot of power I was surprised to see just how little this tent would be using as-is.

The following numbers are monthly operational cost:
190cfm fan @50v = $1.80
190cfm fan @90v = $4.50
Chinese light in veg mode, 18 hours daily = $8.55
Chinese light in bud mode, 12 hours daily = $8.45
3 Clip fans = $3.27

Comes out to a whopping $13.52 for veg and $16.22 for bud.
This is assuming running the fan at the higher speed during bud.

This adds up to a 7.3% increase in my overall electric bill during the hot summer. Seems negligible! I didn't expect negligible!

Questions for the Wise:
* Grow tent has some little pinhole light leaks in the zipper stitching along majority of the length of the front zipper. Is this enough to worry once I start budding?
* I think it would be best to replace my light with something along the lines of a 400-500w LED come bud time. I am looking at the Blackstar 2.0 480w as having a good light to cost ratio. Does anyone have this light? Does anyone have any better suggestions?
* Has anyone tried running one large fan and filter with two tents linked together? I don't expect a heat issue with LED lighting and the ambient temperature in this room. I figure it might be possible as long as the second smaller tent is only running clones and not seeds.
* How do I tell if running my fan at 50v is providing enough airflow?
* Paranoia Mode: Ive separated my purchases as much as possible using multiple brick and mortar and online sources so as not to raise any possible flags. Does anyone else do this?

Again, thank you all! =>

Good luck to you, if you think waiting right now for the seeds to get going is tough, wait until you've been flowering for awhile, things are smelling good and you so want to harvest and enjoy the fruits of your labor and its still two to three weeks before trichomes turn to the cloudy/amber mix we look for. Just finishing up my first grow, used a small tent as you're describing, light leaks were not a problem from the stitching for me. Two points big I learned from from the first grow, one get the best light you can. Started off with a 250w HPS, could see I was not going to get the results needed for the effort of growing. Upped the light to a 600w HPS and i will know in two weeks or so, but for the first grown I'm already pleased with the amount of nug on the ladies. Get the best light you can, you need the light penetration. The other big issue I suffered from was at the switch, got hit by stretch bad, really outgrew the grown tent, lots of bending and moving of stems to make it work. You're probably safer getting everything online, it seems as if on occasion the local enforcement likes to stake out garden stores selling hydro supplies and then later visit some who made purchases there. But good again to you, and get the best light you can for the space you have. I hope this helped answer some of your questions.

True that about the tough wait. I'm about 4 weeks into flower and everytime I tuck a leaf or rub a stem it just smells so good. I'm a very patient person, but it is driving me nuts. Especially since I've been out for a couple weeks

Thank you for replying! =) I am curious how big is your tent and how many plants did you get in there?
I am also doing a tent grow. It is a 4x4x6.5 I currently have 6 plants growing in it. Fortunately for me that is legal for a person with a prescription in Cali. So I'm not stealth at all, it has taken over my kitchen. Here is the latest picture of the plants in the tent.

P4233834.JPG

It is Blueberry Indica and they are 4 weeks into bloom. I am doing an ebb and flow hydro grow.

Thank you for replying! =) I am curious how big is your tent and how many plants did you get in there?

Tent size is 22x36x64, running a 600wHPS with 2 RDWC buckets in the tent, reservoir is located outside of the tent. So two plants that are completely filling the space.

I am also doing a tent grow. It is a 4x4x6.5 I currently have 6 plants growing in it. Fortunately for me that is legal for a person with a prescription in Cali. So I'm not stealth at all, it has taken over my kitchen. Here is the latest picture of the plants in the tent.

P4233834.JPG

It is Blueberry Indica and they are 4 weeks into bloom. I am doing an ebb and flow hydro grow.

Nice buds man. Is the tube on top for co2

I am also doing a tent grow. It is a 4x4x6.5 I currently have 6 plants growing in it. Fortunately for me that is legal for a person with a prescription in Cali. So I'm not stealth at all, it has taken over my kitchen. Here is the latest picture of the plants in the tent..

What a gorgeous sight. I would probably set up a chair and enjoy the view for a while each day.

Back
Top Bottom