Hi! Brand new to growing indoors and need some help!

SweetPs

Hi there!

Little bit about me, I'm new to growing indoors, but have had success growing outdoors. I've been consuming cannabis for.... actually that will age me.... I'm a seasoned consumer let's say haha ....

I just got a Hydro shoot 120 (4x4x6.7ft) tent and I'm really lost at what size duct to get. It says the intake/exhaust ports on the tent are 9" but no where sells 9" duct, so I'm lost. Do I go down to an 8" duct or up to a 10" duct for a more snug fit? (Will it even fit, is it as flexible as it looks?) Am I over thinking it? Probably lol thanks for any help I get!

hiya @SweetPs
welcome to the forum :welcome:

the duct vent openings on the tent should have draw strings allowing you to use smaller duct tubing.

edit: tell us a little more about what strains you plan to grow etc. settle in and have a look around, there are a lot of folk who'll offer a hand. :)

@bluter

Oh my gosh, I didn't even notice them ahahaha. Thank you for answering such a dense question, I must've smoked a bit too much before checking things out haha

I plan on growing an autoflower to start, and have been browsing on Crop Kings website. I think I'm going to start off with Pink Runtz, seems appealing.

@East Coast Marley420
Autoflowers to start! Then I'll try some photoperiods. I'm working with a Mars ts3000 light.

I was thinking on the AC infinity 6", or maybe the 8". I feel like the 8 would be overkill but I could lower the speed of the fan? What do you all think?

a four inch fan would be adequate for that tent but a six would give you the option to grow your grow

That's a good light for that tent, if you wanted to save a few bucks a 4" exhaust would work ok, I have a 4x8 tent and use a 4", good brand exhaust you plan on getting also, I suggest reading up on auto's as much as you can to learn some good growing methods, they can be tricky, there is lots of help in this community you came to the right place.

@nivek thanks for the tip, I probably will go bigger than what's needed.

@East Coast Marley420
Do you use an intake fan with the 4" exhaust fan for your 4x8? Or is the passive intake enough? And do you have a carbon filter on it?

I'm not sure if I'm going to use a carbon filter not which is another reason why I'm leaning towards a bit higher CFM for my fan.

Do you all think with a 6" fan that I should use an intake fan? If so, should I stick with the AC brand?

I'm going to get a couple oscillating fans as well, to stimulate the plants and to help with pests and mold.

Do you use an intake fan with the 4" exhaust fan for your 4x8? Or is the passive intake enough? And do you have a carbon filter on it?
Passive intake has been working for me, I use a filter to keep smell in the tent. AC is a good brand and it should be fine just passive, depending on the room the tent is in if it's warmer or cooler I guess.

I'm going to get a couple oscillating fans as well, to stimulate the plants and to help with pests and mold.
Good plan keep them dancing they love it.

You should start a journal @SweetPs I will try to post some links to help you get started, I'm sure more members will be alone shortly to lend a hand, I'm still learning how to do things on here lol

Autoflowers to start! Then I'll try some photoperiods. I'm working with a Mars ts3000 light.

photos are miles easier on new growers to start, and will produce more even for seasoned growers over autos.
the mars is decent. there are options.

I was thinking on the AC infinity 6", or maybe the 8". I feel like the 8 would be overkill but I could lower the speed of the fan? What do you all think?

infinity is a great choice. you won't need more than the 6 inch

@nivek thanks for the tip, I probably will go bigger than what's needed.

always best to go big and dial back. rule of thumb for both lighting and ventilation.

Or is the passive intake enough?

almost always is. as long as circulation in the space itself is good, and exhaust is sorted, you should be fine. exhaust to outdoor is best.

And do you have a carbon filter on it?

I'm not sure if I'm going to use a carbon filter not which is another reason why I'm leaning towards a bit higher CFM for my fan.

you want to replace the air in the space every 5 mins minimum. my fan does it under two in my flower space. it's not so critical in veg.

circulation in the space is good.

@East Coast Marley420 thank you for all your help I really appreciate it! I'll be ordering my fan tonight! I will definitely start a journal, it'll be neat to document my journey!
It's great to go back and see how far we've come and reading other members journals is a great for learning.

photos are miles easier on new growers to start, and will produce more even for seasoned growers over autos.
the mars is decent. there are options.
@bluter really? I figured where I don't have to worry about light schedules as much that autos would be more favourable. What's the downside to auto's, I must be missing something?

infinity is a great choice. you won't need more than the 6 inch

Great, I'll be purchasing tonight, I'm so excited!

you want to replace the air in the space every 5 mins minimum. my fan does it under two in my flower space. it's not so critical in veg.

All stages will be happening in the one tent *for now* hehe....so I'll be sure to get the 6" so it'll be good for flowering.

thanks for all your help everyone! I really appreciate the warm welcome to the community

@bluter really? I figured where I don't have to worry about light schedules as much that autos would be more favourable. What's the downside to auto's, I must be missing something?

autos are finicky for new growers. you can pancake the grow if you make a mistake. they are on a clock. photos are tougher, and will let you buy time to fix rookie mistakes.

thanks for all your help everyone! I really appreciate the warm welcome to the community

you will find lots of folk here to help. make sure to start a journal. don't be afraid to ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom