Hi has anyone used these lights before?

I still strongly recommend you get a 600w HID for 4x4 and 1000w HID for 5x5, as you find your growing style(s) you get a better idea of what you want your lights to do for you - this is very important when you intend to expand in the future.
I know there's a lot of talk about LED being the future and a lot of terms and psuedoscience is thrown in our faces all the time to make us buy stuff, but the upfront cost vs efficiency of HID is just unmatched by any LED light out there except one that you DIY to your specific needs ;)

I'm guessing you're in the states and power consumption is not a huge issue, otherwise I wouldn't recommend 1000w as the 600w is more effiecient watt for watt.
A bulb, a digital ballast, a good air-cooled hood and an exhaust system and you're good to grow, with lots of dollars left in your kitty for seeds, medium, pots, meters, nutrients etc.

Get to know the plant and how you prefer to grow it before you shell out big bucks on equipment ;)

About the QB's: 6x 288 will POWER a 4x4 and do very well in 5x5, but 9 is where the gold is at, you wanna hit that +800 PPFD on every square inch of your growspace.

An answer from Entheogenerator's PPFD thread:

Actually that's the reason I need to get an LED I live in a tropical climate country near the equator with one of the highest electric bills.... So just one run of LEDS would roi right away.

Three 260 QBs do great in a 4×4, check Pennywise perpetual playhouse journal out, he has the QBs and loves them.

I have 4 288 boards in my 4x4 tent and I do like them, but would like 2 more and dim them to ~100w each.

My point is that ''what does great'' for some grower is just not science and doesn't apply to everybody. PPFD readings are the cold, hard truth and the only way to measure if a light stacks up ;)

On a side note my thermometer just arrived with RH and my normal RH reading is 67% will this cause problems with mold and rot?

Actually that's the reason I need to get an LED I live in a tropical climate country near the equator with one of the highest electric bills.... So just one run of LEDS would roi right away.

Then the DIY route is certainly the most worthwhile, and also a great plus when handling heat since you get a much better light/heat ratio.
If you decide to go with QB's, watch the videos HLG link to on their site, and feel free to ask away ;)

If you want to build a COB lamp (or just learn about DIY lighting in general) watch this gold from Growmau5:
YouTube

Driver selection tool: COB LED Constant Current Driver Selection Tool - LED Gardener

yeah that's exactly my train of thought even with LEDs I might need to turn on the AC near flowering......
Yea you sure will. You don't have to fill you tent up with a bunch of lights to get good results, I pulled 23oz dry of very dence quality buds with 550w Mars light. What I'm saying, tons of light is good and all but you can get good results with 5-600 watts for a 4×4 I'm...️

Then the DIY route is certainly the most worthwhile, and also a great plus when handling heat since you get a much better light/heat ratio.
If you decide to go with QB's, watch the videos HLG link to on their site, and feel free to ask away ;)

If you want to build a COB lamp (or just learn about DIY lighting in general) watch this gold from Growmau5:
YouTube

Driver selection tool: COB LED Constant Current Driver Selection Tool - LED Gardener
I would like to build my own cob one day lol. I was looking at the timber lights the other day and they had some good deals. I'm gonna order the PS cob in two more weeks and can't wait to give it a try...️

On a side note my thermometer just arrived with RH and my normal RH reading is 67% will this cause problems with mold and rot?

Relative Humidity is... well relative.. and depends on temperature - higher temps holds more moisture.

Measure once you have lights and ultimately plants in there and if necessary get a dehumidifier.
(Once you turn your lights on RH will fall, once your plants get of considerable size it'll rise)

Mold and rot has more to with spores in the air, but if it's cold and humid in your grow room they have perfect growing conditions.

Some outdoor growers here spray their plants with horsetail tea to prevent mold.

Cheap crap, get 600w HPS if you're new to growing, it's cheap and it works a lot better than cheap LED.

If you want a proper LED grow light you have to shell out some serious cash or build your own ;)
Def a true statement if it is new to you start with HID , bc it's cheap but hard bc of temps if you want a real LED then you need perfect sun, Amare, anything for HLG QB BOARDS, THE only cheap ones are GROWant led and Mars hydro if I was limited on funds both work great

the total for 6 600w mars hydros would come up to $840 dollars $140 each on amazon. This Quantum board is only $720 and I thing QBs are better right correct me if I am wrong.
Yea I would definitely start with the QB imo. You can always add more in the future also. If you buy Mars now you will be wanting to upgrade in the future so you would be better with QB...️

Yea you sure will. You don't have to fill you tent up with a bunch of lights to get good results, I pulled 23oz dry of very dence quality buds with 550w Mars light. What I'm saying, tons of light is good and all but you can get good results with 5-600 watts for a 4×4 I'm...️

Watt just measures the amount of energy that goes into the light and not how much of the energy is converted to light and heat.
With Mars you get no more than 40% light, with COB's and QB's(provided you run them soft) you get up to 65% light ( HID is ~ 35%)

When I say get 6 QB's rather than 4, I mean you should put the same power into them, but get more points of light for better coverage and run each board softer to get a higher PPFD per watt ;)

I would like to build my own cob one day lol. I was looking at the timber lights the other day and they had some good deals. I'm gonna order the PS cob in two more weeks and can't wait to give it a try...️

Why not give it a try now and save some money AND get a light tailored to your space? Building COB's is easy, building QB's is super easy ;)

Watt just measures the amount of energy that goes into the light and not how much of the energy is converted to light and heat.
With Mars you get no more than 40% light, with COB's and QB's(provided you run them soft) you get up to 65% light ( HID is ~ 35%)

When I say get 6 QB's rather than 4, I mean you should put the same power into them, but get more points of light for better coverage and run each board softer to get a higher PPFD per watt ;)

Why not give it a try now and save some money AND get a light tailored to your space? Building COB's is easy, building QB's is super easy ;)
Yea well I still have about two weeks before I order my PS, I think I will do some research on the diy COB's and the QBs. I still have alot to learn about these lights lol. ..️

Since you're not in the US, I won't recommend you order from many places, so gettin kit(s) from one shop is a good idea.

Don't buy those Mars light they're like 2009 tech... Comparing these to QB's is like comparing a Fiat Punto to Bugatti Veyron, they're both cars.... ;)

Buy directly from Horticulture Lighting Group, their shipping is a lot cheaper, and faster.

I paid $850 (including EU tax and import charges) for 4 of the 135w kits (3000K), if you do the same you get very good dimmable lights, better spread and the possibility to grow plants of very different heights, and of course use them in many different ways in the future.

If you want to buy QB's, get 3000K, and if you want to buy the one you linked to MAKE SURE TO GET IT WITH POTENTIOMETER ;)

Yea well I still have about two weeks before I order my PS, I think I will do some research on the diy COB's and the QBs. I still have alot to learn about these lights lol. ..️

It can seem like a lot to take in to begin with, but you really only need to scratch the surface to find what you need.
Plus a lot of helpful DIY'ers ready to aid us here and on other forums, youtube etc.

Building a QB light is like building a LEGO set for ages 5 and up, building COB's is like 12 and up :)

My 120cm x 120cm Homebox with QB's

DSC0205410.JPG

Back
Top Bottom