Hi has anyone used these lights before?

It can seem like a lot to take in to begin with, but you really only need to scratch the surface to find what you need.
Plus a lot of helpful DIY'ers ready to aid us here and on other forums, youtube etc.

Building a QB light is like building a LEGO set for ages 5 and up, building COB's is like 12 and up :)
I appreciate the info, I am now considering building my own lol...️

Since you're not in the US, I won't recommend you order from many places, so gettin kit(s) from one shop is a good idea.

Don't buy those Mars light they're like 2009 tech... Comparing these to QB's is like comparing a Fiat Punto to Bugatti Veyron, they're both cars.... ;)

Buy directly from Horticulture Lighting Group, their shipping is a lot cheaper, and faster.

I paid $850 (including EU tax and import charges) for 4 of the 135w kits (3000K), if you do the same you get very good dimmable lights, better spread and the possibility to grow plants of very different heights, and of course use them in many different ways in the future.

If you want to buy QB's, get 3000K, and if you want to buy the one you linked to MAKE SURE TO GET IT WITH POTENTIOMETER ;)

To put it simply if I get the single 4 panel board I will just be able to grow one strain at a time? If I get 4 seperate panels I could do a variety of strains? Or can I still grow a variety with the single one just not optimally? I kind of like their pre assembled option lol

To put it simply if I get the single 4 panel board I will just be able to grow one strain at a time? If I get 4 seperate panels I could do a variety of strains? Or can I still grow a variety with the single one just not optimally? I kind of like their pre assembled option lol
You can still grow a variety, you just have to get a light that will cover your area...️

My 120cm x 120cm Homebox with QB's

DSC0205410.JPG
Very nice setup...️

but won't the heights be different specially between indica and sativa?
I got Indica and sativa going in my tent now. I use LST to keep canopy as even as possible and you can always set something under the pot to level up canopy. I use milk or pop crates lol...️

I appreciate the info, I am now considering building my own lol...️

I sincerly think you should, you will bless yourself for getting that much efficiency that cheap, and curse yourself for not getting into it sooner ;)

You sure can, but it's very nice to have different zones instead of having to put stuff under the pots to raise the plants.
You also get:
-Better coverage
-Security, if a light breaks you still have three running and your grow won't die
-Versatility, when you change your grow setup in the future 4 small lamps will fit in almost any configuration from stealth cabinet to open space
-Better air circulation around the lalmps for more efficient cooling
-Each board is dimmable on its own (mine go from 30w to 170w @ 230v AC(Don't go higher than 135ish))

The little extra money is well spend if you can afford it ;)

Sorry to bring it to you, but those COB's are from like 2014 and totally outdated and WAAAAAAAY behind modern COB's, and this just proves my point to such an extent I have to bite my lip not to shout out ''What did I just say''
I don't want to rudely trash a sponsor, but these lights are not up to standard in many ways, but most importantly they leave out edge readings on their PPFD charts and no readings for 18'' which is the most common height above canopy, wonder why!

If you buy a lamp, you want it to use at least CXB3590 and preferrably newer COB's or strips, and ONLY meanwell drivers should be used ;)

An important point is that you cannot have proper coverage in a little box, you end up having a hot spot in the middle and poor light at the edges, a growlight should physically spread across 2/3 of the grow space, or more.
The one you link to covers 2,5' x 1,5' in flowering, if you want proper light saturation that is, but still too high PPFD in the middle and very quickly diminshing at the edges, so basically you have to supplement the plant just under the light with CO2 for the PPFD above ~1000 to be useable to the plant, and you'd need to supplement the plants not directly under the lmap with more light - see inverse square law.

Check out this thread PPFD Graphs and Analysis for Mars, Amare, Fluence LEDs & CMH

I follow that thread, nor do I disagree about the size of your grow light vs your grow area...I like DIY COBs as well...they are the most optimal IMO(though I haven't read a lot into quantum boards)....I wouldn't discredit what SunPlus has to offer so easily though...if out of the box is the only option, in a 4'x4' area I would take 2 SunPlus P4's over anything else I've seen out of the box....looking at what you listed as out of the box options, the only advantage I see for those options if efficiency...the only trade off I see I'd be drawing more power, however I'd also be supplying better PPFD then I seen listed on those sites...don't be so fast to discredit the model COBs they're using without taking the time to see just how much the individual LEDs are supplying as well :Namaste:

I follow that thread, nor do I disagree about the size of your grow light vs your grow area...I like DIY COBs as well...they are the most optimal IMO(though I haven't read a lot into quantum boards)....I wouldn't discredit what SunPlus has to offer so easily though...if out of the box is the only option, in a 4'x4' area I would take 2 SunPlus P4's over anything else I've seen out of the box....looking at what you listed as out of the box options, the only advantage I see for those options if efficiency...the only trade off I see I'd be drawing more power, however I'd also be supplying better PPFD then I seen listed on those sites...don't be so fast to discredit the model COBs they're using without taking the time to see just how much the individual LEDs are supplying as well :Namaste:

Again let me make it clear, I'm not saying their lights aren't good, I'm just saying that better technology can be bought for less money, and that you get more light a lot cheaper with HID.
I have researched the lights and seen the PPFD charts for them, I'm not just talking outta the box here.

Covering a quadratic area with 2 lamps with quadratic footprints can't be done properly, you need 1,4,9,16,25 and so forth for that. Simple geometry.

But seriously dude $600 for 2014 COB's and Epistar diodes...
I'm pretty sure you don't see what I'm saying because these boards are run by drivers that are dimmable so you can run them at the input power of your choice with much better coverage.
-> To a certain degree it is always better to run more light sources at lower input power, ie. COB's are most efficient when being run under 37,5w, but when you get under 15w the difference in efficiency is microscopic

cobppfdw.png

Strips/boards using the Samsung 561C S6 Bin is the most efficient light available at the moment.

If you're in the US this, or variations thereof, is the best bang for your buck ;) You're looking at 1000w DE PPFD levels with ~750w and you can dim down to ~200w, or anything in between.

Building a QB lamp for 4x4 yourself:

6x QB 288: 6 x 75 = $450 - HLG
6x heatsink: 6 x 14,49 = $86,94 - HLG
3x Meanwell HLG240H-C2100A drivers: 3 x 70 = $210 - Mouser
(boards will be dimmable in groups of 2 this way, you could get 2x driver for 3 boards, can't remember which is fitting but can easily find out, would lower the cost a bit, so would getting heatsinks for more than one board)
Wires, power cord, connectors, nuts, bolts etc. = $20 - electricity/hardware store/online shop

Total = $767, lets say a little shipping fees and extras like hangers are added and you're looking at an even $800 for a powerhouse of light with adjustable output and 6 points of light that can each be hanging at different heights ;)
All you need for assembly is a small phillips head screwdriver and a pair of scissors.

Adding some IR and Far Red and maybe even UV for like less than 30 minutes after lights out would be killer ;)

Check out sun/wavy boards (think there is another type more) Buckshot, Shiggityflip and other use these, they are cheaper than HLG.

If you're in the US this, or variations thereof, is the best bang for your buck ;) You're looking at 1000w DE PPFD levels with ~750w and you can dim down to ~200w, or anything in between.

Check out sun/wavy boards (think there is another type more) Buckshot, Shiggityflip and other use these, they are cheaper than HLG.
Thanks for all the great info, I'm gonna go ahead and go with a QB setup. ..️

@PurpleGunRack Hi been searching google for sun wavy boards but it won't show where can I find the lowest prices for these?

Hi been searching google for sun wavy boards but it won't show where can I find the lowest prices for these? I just found 1 site which is out of stock.

Hi been searching google for sun wavy boards but it won't show where can I find the lowest prices for these? I just found 1 site which is out of stock.

They've been outta stock ebry time I've checked...
Think you have to talk to Shiggity or Greytail to get some.. Otherwise I highly recommend doing business with HLG ;)

Back
Top Bottom