High Pressure Sodium Bulbs and My Hard Earned Money

McSmokin

Alright everyone, I have a question that searching online hasn't really answered yet. There's HPS bulbs out there for $16, and there's HPS bulbs out there for $110. Now I know, you get what you pay for and so on... But is a bulb thats $100 more going to yeild me that money back? What are all of your opinions based on previous grows? Because I'm not fittin' to pay a day's wages for a brand name and a slickly designed box.

Cheers.

Alright everyone, I have a question that searching online hasn't really answered yet. There's HPS bulbs out there for $16, and there's HPS bulbs out there for $110. Now I know, you get what you pay for and so on... But is a bulb thats $100 more going to yeild me that money back? What are all of your opinions based on previous grows? Because I'm not fittin' to pay a day's wages for a brand name and a slickly designed box.

Cheers.
Hi McSmokin,
You do indeed get what you pay for and the $100 bulbs are worth it, I run two of them... but, is it really necessary? No. You can definitely grow good quality buds with the cheap bulbs. The other thing about these bulbs is that they don't last all that long either, so you have to keep paying the prices every so often. I started out cheap. Now the grow room can easily afford the good bulbs and that is what I will get to replace these when they go out. I do keep a couple of cheap bulbs around though, just in case. Cheap insurance is what they have become in my tent. I will buy another blue hortilux MH for $110 when I need to, but not before.
I do believe that the good bulbs pay for themselves in a medium sized grow (4x4) of the lifespan of the bulb. I think that the little bit of extra penetration in the reds, and the little bit of extra growth you get because of the additional blue spectrum, that over time these tiny advantages that these bulbs provide do build up and end up producing larger and heavier buds than a regular bulb can produce.

Back
Top Bottom