Holes and looks like bitten leaves with burn marks

justcause2

420 Member
hi, i am having these strange problems for a few weeks now. my friend taken over watering for about 10 plus days. after i came back some over the leaves on the lower bottom old leaves and new leaves on the top started having small yellowing burning holes on the leaves in a pattern in between each small side stem of the leave which makes me think it isn't a pest problem. this happened when my friend started using the same water container over again and keeping it in the grow room with the lights on, so the mold and green moss started growing at the bottom on the jerry can, also i don't think he left the water long enough for the clyorean to evaporate. but i have been told the water in my area is ok on ph. after i took over this started to disappear for a while. then now when im in the flowering cycle i didn't have enough water stored to water the plants after re potting into bigger pots so i used tap water. now after a week later and each other day watering a little. almost all the water from the tap water i used for re potting is soaked up. now these bitten looking marks on the leaves is happening again and they seem to be a bit worse. now on most of the plants and the new upper leaves. i took some photos. i also have a sulphur burner hotbox which i have used for around 5 weeks now. the original spider mites and thrips have disappeared as well as the eggs. now only remaining some damaged leaves on the bottom from the the now gone pests. the veg was 6 in a bit weeks, hight of 17-19 inchs before flowing, now 1 week in flowing 20-22 inch. the problems of the holes in the leaves started 2 - 3 weeks before flowering, so 3 - 5 weeks veg. now started again 1 week in flowering. if any of you think its pests. i don't think it can be because of the size of the holes. if it is it must be a big bug, i have netting over the intake and the hotbox which killed mites for pest prevention. so i think it could probs kill a bug lol.

so its either

1 - ph problem

2 - mold in the water tanks

3 - something else.

please help thx at the rate its going i dont think i going to have a good harvest. :(

IMAG23961.jpg
IMAG23951.jpg
IMAG2392.jpg
IMAG2391.jpg
IMAG2390.jpg
IMAG2389.jpg
IMAG23881.jpg
IMAG23871.jpg
IMAG23861.jpg
IMAG23851.jpg

thx for advise and help guys, but i have searched everywhere and still no sign of pests. i find it hard to think it is because of the holes and burn marks are mostly all equally spaced apart between each stem on the leaves like on the very last photo. i have started to spray insecticide now aswell just incase. :)

I had the exact same problem,
It was inchworms, and I had juvenile Katydids. They are very hard to spot. The Katydids are very small and will hide from you as you approach. The inchworms blend in with the leaf color in most cases, but they can be a brownish color too (some people call those cutworms, and I've having issues with them now in the buds.)
Look for some leaves with rolled up edges for the "cocoon" that they will live in through the winter, sometimes the leaves will be stuck together. Resembles a spider nest, but it is quite sticky.

Might be your issue, might not...but worth a look. :)

I think what you are seeing is the leaf edges dying where they had been chewed on, not really burn marks. ;-)

I have some pics on my blog in the "bad bugs" category if that helps.

Edit: I have them with the indoor grow as well. Moths lay the eggs for the worms (caterpillars)...and we all have moths. ;-)

update. problem solved. i turned a blind eye to these ladybugs in the grow room, i thought it would help with pests. turned out they werent ladybugs at all, some type of bug that looks simular but it actually eats leaves. its called an asian lady beetle or other know as Harmonia axyridis. the eggs are gold and orveral shaped and under the leaves. very easyly to mistake for a ladybug. thank god there was less than 10.

HI,

I have done much research in the past on the Asian Lady beetle, after finding them in my area a few years ago. I had them in my indoor grow and was told that they are plant eaters. This led to my research and discovery that they are bug eaters and were brought to this country for the purpose of controlling small pests.

They are predatory insectivores, consuming small insects (aphids being their favorite). It would be highly unusual to have them eat leaves or plants. They do lay their eggs on the undersides of leaves and the larvae will feed on the pests on the plants. They are considered garden friendly, but a pest due to the invasion of structures for over wintering.

Here's a site that gives great detailed information on them if you are still curious about them. Scroll down to their feeding habits to see what their diet is.

ADW: Harmonia axyridis: INFORMATION

There are several sites that show studies on them, and the reason they are considered invasive is because of the high numbers of them that seek shelter for wintering in the homes etc. They can be so numerous as to cause homeowners and farmers issues trying to control them. They emit a foul odor when killed and leaves a yellowish stain.

I'm just giving you a little more insight into them so you can consider the possibility that they are there eating another small critter that may be responsible for the leaf chewing. :)

Edit: I did leave them on the indoor plants for the whole grow and studied them, they did not chew any holes...they patrolled the plants looking for tiny insects.

ok thx for the info, becuase it was strange at first becuase i have had loads of these asian bugs in the attic for a while, and it seemed as if i couldnt find any other insects but these asian bugs in the grow room, so that i just suspected it was them. thankfully whatever is eating the plants is gone now. :) this pest that was eating the plants will forever be a mystery -_-

You're welcome. :)

It was hard to tell, but I thought I could make out little tiny white things on the leaves in your pics. These could be the exoskeleton's of Aphids.
(Oh, I know those way too well!) They look like tiny white ants.

They could also be thrips.

If you had aphids, those Lady beetles took care of them for sure. :)

If you had inchworms, the Lady beetles probably took care of any moth eggs in the area as well. They truly are the greatest little predators of tiny pests.

Good to know that the problem has not continued. Happy growing and keep em' green!

:circle-of-love:

I had the exact same problem,
It was inchworms, and I had juvenile Katydids. They are very hard to spot. The Katydids are very small and will hide from you as you approach. The inchworms blend in with the leaf color in most cases, but they can be a brownish color too (some people call those cutworms, and I've having issues with them now in the buds.)
Look for some leaves with rolled up edges for the "cocoon" that they will live in through the winter, sometimes the leaves will be stuck together. Resembles a spider nest, but it is quite sticky.

Might be your issue, might not...but worth a look. :)

I think what you are seeing is the leaf edges dying where they had been chewed on, not really burn marks. ;-)

I have some pics on my blog in the "bad bugs" category if that helps.

Edit: I have them with the indoor grow as well. Moths lay the eggs for the worms (caterpillars)...and we all have moths. ;-)
Hello. I know this is an old post now, but I found this forum via google, while trying to find an answer as to why, every morning I would find "crumbs" on my windowsill, round my lemon plant. So, im not growing cannabis, as mentioned, my lemon plant had munch marks, but could see no bugs. After reading your post, I looked at the curled leaves, and found the critter in his bed. I have checked the whole plant, and I appear to only have one worm on the plant. I put him outside and hopefully no more issues.

Back
Top Bottom