Holes in leaves

breezer

420 Member
Hey! I've just spotted some holes in my leaves. Had a look through the problem gallery but struggling to find something that looks similar.

20231204_152235 - Copy.jpg

20231204_152247 - Copy.jpg

Can see some holes which have brown turning to yellow turning to the green of the leaf and then some of the leaf missing?

I had a few ideas:

Light being too close, but this is sitting 18 inches above and still isn't at full power so I have ruled that out.

Possibly CalMag issue? But wasn't sure if the holes was consistent with other people's experiences of this. I have very hard water so they aren't completley without. But still a possibility, just need a more experienced eye.

Finally, pests. I haven't got a loupe just yet but I cannot see anything immediately obvious, but I can see a few whitish raised bumps and wondered if something was eating the plant?

My setup

Strain/s
: FastBuds Original Jack Herer Auto
Genetic Makeup: Sativa
Pot/Bucket Size: 5litre
Tent Size: 40 x 40 x 120cm
How Many Plants: 1
Environment: Indoor
Stage: Veg
Medium: 70% Coco Coir 30% Perlite
Lights: 100 Watt LED
Nutrients: Canna Coco A & B
Room/Tent Temperature: 24°
Relative Humidity: 70%
Res PH: 5.4
Pests: None that I can visibly see
Watering: Autopots - Continuous

Howdy could be many different things like you say but if it were me id start out by checking soil and water out of tap ph and water you are watering with if add chemical nutrients and also get that loup and check for mites. Hope this help a little ✌️. That's for starts anyways
I'm sure there's help on the way in here they'll fix you up,👍✌️

Insects have found your plant. Insects as in many of one type or insects as two or more types.

I haven't got a loupe just yet but I cannot see anything immediately obvious, but I can see a few whitish raised bumps and wondered if something was eating the plant?
Yes, insects eating the plant. Possible that the whitish raised bumps can be an insect that is inside the leaf but just as likely it could be an egg cluster the insect left under the surface of the leaf.

A regular magnifying glass should help see some of the insects. I think I can see an insect here and there in the photos. Some of the insects will just sit there and drill a small hole and then suck the juice from the leaf. Then there are the chewing insects which will just start eating and eating. Possible you have both types but the damage is what a chewing insect does.

Do everything you can to find out what insect you have before trying to spray. Buying the wrong insecticide can be cost money if it does not get rid of the insects and you have to go out and buy something else.

looks like mites. hopefully just regular two-spotted mites. the twisted new growth could even indicate russets which would be a disaster of much greater magnitude.

hopefully the twisted new growth is just light and heat avoidance. 18 inches is six inches too close. run at 24 in veg and 18 in flower. autos are more sensitive to conditions.

looks like mites. hopefully just regular two-spotted mites. the twisted new growth could even indicate russets which would be a disaster of much greater magnitude.
Mites make little pinprick size marks on the leaf since they tend to just chew the surface off to get at the sap and tissue in the leaf.

In the photos there are holes eaten right through the leaf leaving holes large enough to push a pencil through. Plus the parts of the leaf fingers that are completely missing.

I will see if I can spot anything moving around on the plant so I can try and identify what they are and go from there.
Really small insects will be harder to spot but it can be done. In the second photo I see a row of light brown spots and am wondering if it is insect frass (pooh).

And looking some more it still could be a chewing insect but also possible it is some type of caterpillar.

Take a look when the lights have been off for awhile, maybe an hour or go check a bit before the lights come on. Some insects only come out at night.

Really small insects will be harder to spot but it can be done. In the second photo I see a row of light brown spots and am wondering if it is insect frass (pooh).

And looking some more it still could be a chewing insect but also possible it is some type of caterpillar.

Take a look when the lights have been off for awhile, maybe an hour or go check a bit before the lights come on. Some insects only come out at night.
Ok, I will take a look when the lights go off. Managed to find a magnifying glass but it isn't strong enough. Have a proper loupe on the way now so hopefully that will be helpful.

I think some of the redish/brown marks in the picture may just be small bits of coco that have gotten on the leaf

Ok, I will take a look when the lights go off.
Give them time to come out so it might be a half hour to an hour.

The closest I have had to what I see there was on some outdoor plants. Sometimes I saw the insect during the day but most of the time the holes appeared overnight. And every time the damage appeared then after a couple of days it stopped.

In the photos there are holes eaten right through the leaf leaving holes large enough to push a pencil through. Plus the parts of the leaf fingers that are completely missing.

as far as i know holes aren't a common russet symptom. leaf issues and odd twisted growth is the first sign, then the leaves may get a waxy look to them. regular mites don't leave holes either, so it could be a larger secondary pest, or two separate pests as mentioned.

I have been battling mites on and off for years so I have been getting used to seeing the marks they leave behind, especially if they have been reproducing for a couple of weeks. And nothing showing there looks like a mite problem, or a mite problem yet. So when you mentioned mites earlier I had to take a couple of good long looks to see what was up.

Something is making holes in the leaves and doing a good job of it. And, it looks similar to caterpillar damage. Slugs came to mind but the holes just don't look like slug damage on any plant in my outdoor flower or vegetable gardens. So back to a chewing insect or crawling one.

I found a chewing insect on one of my outdoor plants several years ago. Cute guy, nice green color and camouflages well. Thing is that bug was a fast chewer:). It could take out most of a finger in 20-25 minutes so a whole 5 finger leaf in a couple of hours. Probably would have done it faster if it weren't for it taking a couple minute break before going back for another pass at the leaf. The next day it was gone and have not seen one like it on any of the Marijuana plants since.

I have been battling mites on and off for years so I have been getting used to seeing the marks they leave behind, especially if they have been reproducing for a couple of weeks. And nothing showing there looks like a mite problem, or a mite problem yet. So when you mentioned mites earlier I had to take a couple of good long looks to see what was up.

Something is making holes in the leaves and doing a good job of it. And, it looks similar to caterpillar damage. Slugs came to mind but the holes just don't look like slug damage on any plant in my outdoor flower or vegetable gardens. So back to a chewing insect or crawling one.

I found a chewing insect on one of my outdoor plants several years ago. Cute guy, nice green color and camouflages well. Thing is that bug was a fast chewer:). It could take out most of a finger in 20-25 minutes so a whole 5 finger leaf in a couple of hours. Probably would have done it faster if it weren't for it taking a couple minute break before going back for another pass at the leaf. The next day it was gone and have not seen one like it on any of the Marijuana plants since.

Ahh ok sounds promising, I've spent ages this evening looking for little mites but I really can't see any.

Haha wow, that's really fast! Can be so destructive.

I've been researching and having a think - I have been LST'ing so I am wondering if maybe some of it is me being too rough with the plant and/or some light burn but from when the lights come on first thing and they might have some condensation on them from the humidifer that might ex. It could also be the fan doing some damage, but I didn't think it was strong enough to do that.

The LST explanation MAY explain the slight twisting on the new growth as it is adapting back up to the light.

Doesn't entirely explain the white bumps but, I think I will sit tight for a day or two. No more LST and I've raised the light and I will see what the new growth looks like. Then I can start ruling out a few things and also see if those white bumps increase.

Really appreciate your input and help! It's my first grow so really trying to get the hang over everything. I've got lot's to learn for sure! I'll come back in a day or two and see how she reacts to being left alone with the lights higher.

I have been LST'ing so I am wondering if maybe some of it is me being too rough with the plant
Any damage that you might have caused would look totally different.

or some light burn
My experience is that damage from light burn tends to start off as a patch of yellowish-white color to a section of the leaf. Again, something that looks really different. Wind damage and light damage look similar.

Might have a photo of each in my gallery but it is time to start prepping a batch of salsa and then dinner.

And nothing showing there looks like a mite problem, or a mite problem yet.

the white dots and bumps on the leaves are pretty classic early mite damage red flags.

20231204_152247-copy-jpg.3486124

also there's a couple obvious egg like structures dead center on the surface. if i see them on the surface i expect loads more on the back.

Perfect camouflage on the little bastards. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom