How Do They Get Strains To Taste Different?

I have found that plants finished the last few weeks in very cool temperatures (50 to 60 degrees) seem to taste grapey and sweeter. I need to give this more thought and do some more research. Maybe it was just the strains I had going at the time but this occurred to multiple strains so I think that the cooler temperatures some how effected the taste. Also cooler finishing temperatures seem to give some plants and buds a nice bluish/purple hue...

Cold is known to bring out the purple color you speak of, especially if the strain has a tendency to show that color even a lil. It also effects strains that don't usually show that way although not nearly to the same degree in my experience.
Cold temps can also increase trichome production as self protection from the cold... not freezing though... yikes!
So, it would seem that the terpens that are finished off w/the cold have the tendency to taste like grape... so juicy sweeeeet! (Gollum)

Anyways, if you want to know more... here is a good read. There is also a vid here somewhere!
Cannabis Facts

See ya round!

I have found that plants finished the last few weeks in very cool temperatures (50 to 60 degrees) seem to taste grapey and sweeter. I need to give this more thought and do some more research. Maybe it was just the strains I had going at the time but this occurred to multiple strains so I think that the cooler temperatures some how effected the taste. Also cooler finishing temperatures seem to give some plants and buds a nice bluish/purple hue...

Anyone have any ideas about using BlackBerry Jam, and mixing it into the feeding solution? I'd like to add it to my Purple Kush. I'd like to try Grape, in my Grape Ape, if the Blackberry works. What do ya'll think? :peace:

Anyone have any ideas about using BlackBerry Jam, and mixing it into the feeding solution? I'd like to add it to my Purple Kush. I'd like to try Grape, in my Grape Ape, if the Blackberry works. What do ya'll think? :peace:

during the last few hours DIRECTLY before you harevest... after you've flushed all nutes, you can add a small amount of flavouring extracts to your resoveoir for 1-3hrs no longer than 3hrs tho. with in that time the plants should have pretty much fully ingested the solution, a favorite of mine is vanilla, you wanna stay away from the one with high sugar content tho for obvious reasons:goodluck:

Who knows? Either that or rolled up cigars... I read this somewhere on a cigar site... about how they infuse taste and smell to their cigars by putting them in commercial drying chambers used for mass dry fruit and incense production or shit like that.
I mean you can do the same thing with your bud - put it together with drying orange peel for starters

Sorry, wrong quote, and it wont let me delete it.

TERROIR (ter-wah) French word. No known English translation. Everyone -- or at least every place -- has one. Your garden and mine have terroirs; probably several. The front and back of your house almost certainly offer different growing conditions for plants. That is all terroir means.

At its most restrictive the word means soil. By extension, and in common use, it means much more. It embraces the dirt itself, the subsoil beneath it, its physical properties and how they relate to the local climate -- for example how quickly it drains rainwater, whether it reflects sunlight or absorbs its heat. It embraces the lie of the land: its degree of slope, its orientation to the sun, and the tricks of its micro-climate that spring from its location and surroundings.

Thus if the foot of a slope is frost-prone, the fact is an aspect of the terroir. Warmth or mist arising from nearby water is another -Cooling afternoon or evening breezes off a body of water, such as is the case in many coastal areas of California, will also have an effect. An east slope that catches the morning sun may have identical soil to a west slope that warms up later in the day and holds the evening rays: its terroir is different --Making the things grown in it taste different. Some plants like Marijuana exhibit this quality in an abundance. Bee Honey from different areas have different flavors. I had some Berkeley Honey that tasted like Tilden Park's air in the spring.

I experimented with Roses and Spearmint planted next to my crop, (Super Lemon Haze & Lucy) the buds have a distinct flavor, all the characteristics of their respective phenom, along with a hint of rose and a minty finish. So in conclusion, it is possible to infuse your outdoor or soil grown Marijuana with what grows in the same soil around it. This year I am trying strawberries, they are already in the ground..:peace::love:

I'm not too sure, but I'm guessing the acid levels from the citrus fruits would screw up your PH levels enough to make your plants unhappy. If you do use it, test the PH and adjust it to acceptable levels. Again, this is just an (semi-)educated guess.

Interesting thread. Used the orange peel cure trick to revive some too dry herb on many occasions. Lemons, limes, oranges all lend a nice aroma and sometimes influence flavor. Have to try some mint.

Accidently left a bag in a drawer with a peppermint. It picked up lots of the aroma, almost too much. Didn't influence flavor though.

During the flowering stage of my grows I've added Aguave nectar to the water like some growers add molasses and it makes the final buds very sweet. I do this during the last 3 weeks of flowering. Just mix with distilled water. Aguave nectar is available at all grocery stores and is really cheap in price as well.

BarBeQueMan, I have a question that is not exactly on subject here. Hope you don't mind. I have read somewhere on this 420 site that talked about adding Maple syrup as a way to increase some micro nutrients in my soil. However, the post did not mention when to use this or how much to use. I only have 3 plants at present and have 8 more on their way. My strain is called Thumper which I believe is an older strain. That is all I know about the strain but it appears to be a hybrid and it appears to be Indica dominate. I flipped to 12/12 7 days ago. I am using Techniflora nutes. I like these nutes so far but I am not developing roots as I would like. My girls do develop enough roots to allow my girls to be supported but I would like a little better root base. If you have any info as to when and how much to use I would appreciate any suggestions that you may share with me on this subject or any other. I am fairly new at this. My girls are or will be all FLUX style. Keep it green.

Remember Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Remember Hemp is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Greenstuff

There are over 120 different kinds of terpenes in cannabis. testing and measuring the amounts in strains involved in breeding projects give breeders a near endless number of opportunities for developing new flavors based on the results of test results. Terpenes are not only found in cannabis but instead in many plants and some are synthesized. Perfumes rely on terpenes, the minty taste in toothpaste comes from terpenes. They are what gives household cleaners aromas people like. Air fresheners, insect repellents, cosmetics all also rely on them. They have many uses and most are not cannabis related in either coming from cannabis plants or to give cannabis plants unique tasty flavors.

Different phenotypes of strains will be more or less dominant at passing on certain portions of their genetics. A real prize to a breeder is to have a plant or plants with unique flavors/tastes people like or when combined make a new flavor/taste people like and the plant or plants are mostly dominant at passing on their flavor/taste so when bred with another plant of high potency but lacking a good flavor/taste the goal of course is to retain the high potency of the one plant/strain while passing on, adding to, injecting a popular flavor or taste or creating new popular flavors/tastes in a new strain containing both high potency and a favor/taste people will like.

The one knock against the original Cup winning White Widow was lack of a good flavor/taste and what followed was a flood of new 'white strains' that were in part an attempt to retain potency but adding a flavor/taste people preferred. Though some were just using the 'white' part of the name to attempt to get instant credibility and sales by the 'white' part being equated to high potency to many.

An example of a breeder with a strain that was very dominant at passing on a unique flavor/taste but not a lot more thus not risking loss of much potency or yield was Dman. I do not recall the strain name anymore but it added a very spicy flavor and he used it to breed with popular potent strains of the era and created strains like Black Spice, Kali-Spice, Orange Spice, Silver Spice, Super Silver Spice and others. His new crosses/strains retained or mostly retained their potency and yield but a unique spicy flavor was added.

i remember back in the day, folks were adding strawberry quick and crystal light mix to the soil. I was too young to know if it worked, but that was the schoolyard talk.

Adding molasses will not make your budz a tad sweeter in my experience, but might help in keeping more complex layer of terpenes. Sweetness of budz is mostly genetics-related, and then medium and light also play an important role. Careful drying and curing is also crucial in keeping the flavor and taste in place.

If you feed the plant in flower using Candy Flavoring, the stuff you can buy online, just about anywhere, it will pick up the flavor, and cost absolutely nothing compared to the boosters sold by nutrient companies. You can make your plant taste like Peanutbutter Fudge if you want to. It is also safe for human consumption.

Back
Top Bottom