How Do They Get Strains To Taste Different?

SmokeyMacPot

The different tastes of certain strains of cannabis are a product of controlled-breeding programs.
The flavour and smell of Cannabis comes from five substances: mono- and sesqui-terpenes, alpha- and beta-pinene, limonene, myrcene, and beta-phalandrene. The amount of each substance present in a given strain will determine the flavor and smell.

Author: MedMan

i had sister plants with same mother different fathers . the plants look identical but one was an early verity and had a different taste . dont know the fathers

i had sister plants with same mother different fathers . the plants look identical but one was an early verity and had a different taste . dont know the fathers

Sadly, a trend that is more and more common these days.

Oh wait, you were talking about plants?

:grinjoint:

Don't no if this will help but here go I grew three pretty girls n the yard all n differnt spots all cloned from same plant but some how one suck up the essense from the old lady next doors mint plant so say what u want u can change the flavor cause that one out of three was minty fresh

Q: How Do They get Strains to Taste Different? ........A:Terpenes

Terpenes are supposed to be mainly responsible for smell and flavor. I found this thread interesting Cannabis Facts.This info apparently comes from a breeder. Some info hear sounds similar to somethings learned in school and things I read that Ed Rosenthal wrote.

"Over 100 terpenes have been identified in marijauna. There are actually many more when one considers the multiple variations of each terpene. For instance, the characteristic citrus odor found in fruit rinds differs by type and even variety of fruit-- oranges and lemons have different odors, and their terpenes -- called limonenes -- are mirror version of each other. Even different varieties of orange differ in their distinct odor. This is due to slight differences in the amounts of or form if limonenes, as well as other compounds that have citrus elements....Terpenes are constantly being produced but they evaporate under pressure from sunlight and rising temperatures. Plants have more terpenes at the end of the dark period than after a full day of light. You can test this yourself. Check a plants odor early in the morning and at the end of a sunny day. You will find more pungency early in the morning." (Big Book of Buds 3 Ed Rosenthal 97,98). Interesting section of the book. He later goes on to speak about 10 specific terpenes and covers what affect they have on flavor and aroma.

I was planning to order some Strawberry Cough. Does this actually taste like strawberry or does it just smell that way?

Who knows? Either that or rolled up cigars... I read this somewhere on a cigar site... about how they infuse taste and smell to their cigars by putting them in commercial drying chambers used for mass dry fruit and incense production or shit like that.
I mean you can do the same thing with your bud - put it together with drying orange peel for starters

I have used orange peels with some sucess to moisten/cure herb in jars before. Doesn't add a whole lot but to some dry, stale herb it will freshen it up with a bit of orange flavor.

I take it this is just a combination of placing the dry buds in with fresh rinds in a curing (mason-style) jar? Wonder if you can do the same with any fresh fruit, or some fresh mint. Seems a shame to let bud sit around that long but now I'm curious if that could work with my medicine bottles I use to store it. Stay fresh longer and more time to soak up the smell?

I take it this is just a combination of placing the dry buds in with fresh rinds in a curing (mason-style) jar? Wonder if you can do the same with any fresh fruit, or some fresh mint. Seems a shame to let bud sit around that long but now I'm curious if that could work with my medicine bottles I use to store it. Stay fresh longer and more time to soak up the smell?

Dunno about other fruits but I'm sure it would work. I just eat an orange, cut up the peel into inch or two chunks, and toss them in the jar. Leave it in for a few days until the bud is about where I want it then take them out. You have to follow the curing procedure though and make sure to air it out and not get too moist.

Back
Top Bottom