How I cure & dry my harvest

Chuckeye

Greetings,

Hopefully some might find this useful !

I feed right up to harvest. Starving doesn't provide any benefit. I believe the plant gets more benefit from nutrients than from cannibalizing it's leaves.

The last watering is three days before chop. Up till then they were taking a gallon every two days.

Harvest is when ALL the white pistils have turned color and receded. AND the trichomes are all at least white, some amber is good.

I chop when lights normally come on, no dark period other than regular lights off.

My last crop I wet trimmed on the plant, seemed to be quite a bit faster.

Then I cut off the branches and hang in the dark. Best I could do was 45% RH and 70 degrees. A suggested ideal is 60/60.

I had a staggered harvest so I built a frame and threw a tarp over it ;)

And had a 50cfm fan blowing in. Takes six to seven days for the buds to feel "crispy", I never did get the hang of the "snap the branch" thingee..

KG & GG#4 hanging.jpg

Cut the buds off the branches and loose fill a food grade container to at least 3/4's full. Anything less is too much air.

OR multiple jars, your choice :cool:

Pop in a hygrometer (less than $20 for 5 off Amazon) and check it the next day. Takes a while to get a good reading as the crispy parts will absorb moisture from the bud interiors.

Ideally it won't be over 70. If it is leave the top off the contain for a half hour, three times a day. Much over 70% is mold area and I would either paper bag it or lay it out on newspaper for a while. You will get the hang of this part, no pun intended !

It's handy to have an extra container the same size. Place on top of the original and flip. This is less harsh than fluffing up the buds and gives the bottom of the container access to the burp.

When RH is in the high 60's burp the container twice a day for a couple of minutes until it reaches 58%.

Hopefully this will take at least two weeks.

Curing KG & GG.jpg

Then I vacuum seal in 1 L mason jars with a 58%/size 8 Bovida pack.

Some prefer 62% but 58% works best for me to grind for joints or pipe.

The KEY to a good cure is paying attention to the RH !

Gelato auto.

Gelato.jpg

Purple Silverback auto.

Purple Silverback.jpg

Please feel free to add your comments/alternatives to this method.

Cheers

The slower the dry, the sweeter the pie (pipe), lol.

Hello all! I'm new here but have posted several times now. I am learning to grow from a friend long distance. He gave me this "Burping" procedure after the Buds have been picked involving jars over a 4-week period. We text mostly but it's sometimes difficult to understand all about growing.
Can you all explain your methods please? He says it has to be done or I'll get harsh tasting weed and it won't be desirable to smoke?? Can anyone explain this better for me?
Thanks!:ganjamon:

Hello all! I'm new here but have posted several times now. I am learning to grow from a friend long distance. He gave me this "Burping" procedure after the Buds have been picked involving jars over a 4-week period. We text mostly but it's sometimes difficult to understand all about growing.
Can you all explain your methods please? He says it has to be done or I'll get harsh tasting weed and it won't be desirable to smoke?? Can anyone explain this better for me?

Did you mean to post a new thread ?

If not, read my post above and if something isn't clear just ask ;)

Cheers

It takes time for the chlorophyll taste to go away & the weed taste to come to life. So you have to jar it & burp the jars the first week or so. After that, time does the rest for you. The longer it sits the better it seems to be for me.

Personal taste plays a part, too, I suppose. A friend and former forum member once told me that she preferred "fresh" tasting cannabis. And a lot of grower/dealers probably sell as soon as they can get their product dry (although the best ones never did).

Considering the majority of bud pictures I've seen in magazines and when curious enough to browse dispensary websites are often as green as could be... maybe curing cannabis is a vanishing art? IDK.

Sal, if you dry your bud too slowly, it'll mold. If you dry it too quickly / too much, it won't cure. All in all, lol, the latter is much preferable to the former. Aim for a cure, but "just dry" beats the snot out of trash.

The dry and cure is my nemesis. Getting the right environment and being a consistent care keeper have been my hurdles.
Hey Sal. This forum is full of many tutorials and insights into the how and why. The biggest advice is to get the drying environment as spot on as possible from the get go. Something I currently struggle with. We all have limitations to our space, one way or another. Mine tends to be poor RH fluctuations and too warm. My goal for my next harvest is 60°F & 60% RH for 10-14 days. Dry enough for a "snappy" stem and then cut and trim if necessary before jarring them up to cure. I want them right where they need to be before putting them in jars. Reducing the need for as much burping. Many philosophies on how to dry and cure correctly. Just need to find what works for your needs, taste, and environment.

Hello Sal - I think we all do pretty much the same thing by any means available
@Chuckeye has summed it up for me too - trim, hang, paper bag and tupperware plastic boxes, which are much easier to tip out and turn - you can't do that with a jar
Once all the green smell has gone and it's starting smell good when you bust it open, it's jar/burp for a couple of weeks until steady @50-60%; that can still be a bit sticky, but perfect if you decant a few buds at a time for the stash/grinder
The real answer to your question is trial and error in your environment as per @BakedARea

"Hang until it stops trying to crawl over to the window, then fill up a bunch of 30" brown paper grocery sacks. Fold the tops down a few minutes per day. Then open them a few minutes per day. Then staple them shut and stick in the back of the closet where your Winter clothes are. Pull them both out at the same time, and have a merry Christmas." - Anonymous Old Fart August 9, 1967

Greetings,

Hopefully some might find this useful !

I feed right up to harvest. Starving doesn't provide any benefit. I believe the plant gets more benefit from nutrients than from cannibalizing it's leaves.

The last watering is three days before chop. Up till then they were taking a gallon every two days.

Harvest is when ALL the white pistils have turned color and receded. AND the trichomes are all at least white, some amber is good.

I chop when lights normally come on, no dark period other than regular lights off.

My last crop I wet trimmed on the plant, seemed to be quite a bit faster.

Then I cut off the branches and hang in the dark. Best I could do was 45% RH and 70 degrees. A suggested ideal is 60/60.

I had a staggered harvest so I built a frame and threw a tarp over it ;)

And had a 50cfm fan blowing in. Takes six to seven days for the buds to feel "crispy", I never did get the hang of the "snap the branch" thingee..

KG & GG#4 hanging.jpg

Cut the buds off the branches and loose fill a food grade container to at least 3/4's full. Anything less is too much air.

OR multiple jars, your choice :cool:

Pop in a hygrometer (less than $20 for 5 off Amazon) and check it the next day. Takes a while to get a good reading as the crispy parts will absorb moisture from the bud interiors.

Ideally it won't be over 70. If it is leave the top off the contain for a half hour, three times a day. Much over 70% is mold area and I would either paper bag it or lay it out on newspaper for a while. You will get the hang of this part, no pun intended !

It's handy to have an extra container the same size. Place on top of the original and flip. This is less harsh than fluffing up the buds and gives the bottom of the container access to the burp.

When RH is in the high 60's burp the container twice a day for a couple of minutes until it reaches 58%.

Hopefully this will take at least two weeks.

Curing KG & GG.jpg

Then I vacuum seal in 1 L mason jars with a 58%/size 8 Bovida pack.

Some prefer 62% but 58% works best for me to grind for joints or pipe.

The KEY to a good cure is paying attention to the RH !

Gelato auto.

Gelato.jpg

Purple Silverback auto.

Purple Silverback.jpg

Please feel free to add your comments/alternatives to this method.

Cheers
Thanks for sharing this information with us. I was unsure how to do it. That’s straightforward no messing around, I love it.

Back
Top Bottom