How many CFL's/Watts needed to start 10 seedlings off before planting outside?

Guerilla Dr

In order to get a headstart on my growing season, I plan on germinating 10 beans inside under lights where I will grow them for the first 4 weeks. I will then plant them outside after my last frost date. What I want to know is how may CFL lights and how many watts will be required to raise these 10 seedlings for the first 4 weeks before they go outside? I have no idea about this as I am an outdoor grower...

I have tried asking this question previously but I didn't get a sufficient amount of responses and I didn't get an exact answer to my question which is why I am back here asking again because I don't want to take any chances with this. As I said, I have no idea how many lights or what wattage is required to start 10 seedlings...

Many thanks!

Well i use about 200 actual watts for my micro grow and that allows me to grow 3 plants full term so i would figure for 4 weeks of veg for ten plants you might wanna go 300 to 400 actual watts to get them to be a decent size in the 4 weeks before you put them outdoors. This is just a guess really because it isn't just the watts that matter here its also the enviroment. If i may make a suggestion it would be to ensure you have some reflective material setup in the area you will be growing them in and also remember that most the light emitted by CFLs comes off the side not the tip of the bulb. Good vibes your way.

I've done a lot of vegging under CFLs, and I'd say it depends on how large these plants are going to be. 4 weeks from seed is just a few inches tall, for instance. A rule of thumb for CFLs is 50 watts/sqft minimum. I like to run closer to 100+. You'll also want to think about hardening off, too. CFLs are diffuse and gentle - sunlight, not so much. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom