How many members do soil versus soil less?

I have a feeling nobody really knows. Unless the website shows the data of how many people are subbed to each of the sub-forums (organic soil, coco, hydroponics, etc)- which might give a rough idea. Most people hop around a bit between the two extremes of organic growing and DWC hydroponics. I mostly grow in soilless (coco, perlite, peat moss, etc) which is sort of halfway in between the two.

If you go to, for example, the FAQ subforum area where we are now, there will be the box at top where you can start a thread. Click on the ‘more options’ link under the box and you’ll see ‘start a poll’ among the options.

There is a lot more to this question. At minimum the grown size but also purpose and dedication.

Ask this question of a casual grower like me who is over producing in a small space for personal use only. THe answer is different...even from me if I am doing 40 plants in a warehouse or 1000 plants in a field. Same person will give you a different response.

The reasons behind the choice for some have to do with max pounds. I can't really use all I can produce. I dont need extreme methods to get 15% more I already have enough.

I do DWC and multiple types of soil based on the time of year and my mood.

I am going to spend time working on Autos over the next few years because again I don't care about weight. So I may break down and go into a coco type mix soon which I have always been against...except for with autos...that is where coco is king IMO.

The growers doing it for money are all about maxing pounds in their space. I grow like outdoor. I am about quality and over producing in an oversized space for my needs. I could grow more but why? I gotta day job. I bought a tent bigger than I needed so I could chill and grow how I wanted.

But if I were doing this as a small grow for money...DWC.

I to grow for personal consumption so quantity isn't as big a deal to me as quality is. I grow in a super soil mix, I have used soil less mixes but love the simplicity of my soil.

i’m new - 1 outside grow last year -1 inside grow this year so i’m using soil strictly for forgiveness - almost said strictly from commercial - Yellow Snow Zappa! I’m gonna start coco / verm/ and additives next gonaround

Years ago...like 4 years ago the other areas of the site were very active. Something happened which I never understood and the entire activity went to the FAQ. Things changed.

But there was a time where people posted soil questions in soil and DWC questions in DWC.

The activity in the DWC area of this place was MUCH higher. That said even if the growing were split even I would expect more activity on the Hydro side of the forum.

And I personally live more than an hour one way from a hydro store.

I just started a brand new pile for ROLS to find a mother which may live a while so I want a big pot with long break down compost.

Once I find a mother I will clone her and when I get the time to build the undercurrent system this next summer I will feed that from a mother in soil...until I get tired of that and just put it all in ROLS and relax.

I haven't tried undercurrent yet but that looks fun. So I plan to give that a whirl this summer.

But I will have some autos running cold plug, hot plug on the side.

So it is highly likely I will have a grow in a few months doing all 3 methods at the same time...because I am a jackass.

Back
Top Bottom