How tight do you trim?

Doctor Trevor

I'm harvesting/trimming my northern lights plants now. In the past, I was very tight in how I trimmed the sugar leaves from the bud. Since I make edibles (for the most part), and I use the sugar leaves when I do, should I trim the plant so tightly? Leaving the leaves and the buds together would save me a lot of time; this would be good as I'm dealing with a lot of pain right now.

What does everyone think? This is how I'm trimming things now.

20211027_142256.jpg

If leaving more leaves on makes it easier for you, then do it. You can always pull those leaves out later after they're more dried (they pop off really easy once dry usually) or just leave 'em - The only real difference is the leaves burn a bit harsher, and have less thc in them, but small amounts make virtually no difference (imo).

There isn't just one right way, you just have to do what works for you. (and realize also that drying is a tad slower if there are a lot of leaves)

I'm harvesting/trimming my northern lights plants now. In the past, I was very tight in how I trimmed the sugar leaves from the bud. Since I make edibles (for the most part), and I use the sugar leaves when I do, should I trim the plant so tightly? Leaving the leaves and the buds together would save me a lot of time; this would be good as I'm dealing with a lot of pain right now.

What does everyone think? This is how I'm trimming things now.

20211027_142256.jpg
Hello Doc hope your trimming is going well.
For me it's a long painful process.
I take it your wet trimming?
I like to get as much of the little sugar leaves off as possible.
But for convenience sake a quick Snip of the big ones is really all you need.
I just find the more you leave on her the harsher the bud is to smoke.
The one in the pic is beautiful and perfect imo.
It's a matter of how many hrs you want to spend trimming.
A little extra left on never hurt anyone.
It's a matter of preference.
Congratulations.
Nice work,.
Stay safe.
Bill

I'm a novice at all this but I only vape and make edibles or capsules - so - I only trim probably pretty sparingly. I figure it all ends up in the same place and I don't bother with the trim so it would be a waste of time and product for me.

Looks pretty good bud :thumb:

Mmm those little sugar leaf's if you wish picking out before some of the final preparations you may wish take...

Can be saved !

For other preparations :green_heart:

I leave all sugar leaf on , it will protect the bud from trichome loss while curing. You will loose some during the cure but I smoke what comes off or press it for rosin.
Discussing cure , I wet trim down to sugar leaves hang plant until crispy try , the longer the better.
I then cut into 8 to 10 inch lengths of stem leaving the bud on the stem.
Place into a parchment covered bottom of rubber maid container along with a large Boveda pack cover with more parchment another Boveda pack and place on cool dark closet shelf until needed.
The taste and smell will definitely improve.
You will thank me.
A 70 year old farm boy.

PXL_20211030_132621537.jpg

PXL_20211030_132453002.jpg

Hey Doc! I wet trim about as far as you are in those pics because frankly, I’ve done so many years in trim jail that I think I deserve some time off for good behavior. This stuff is for my use, and I don’t ship the pics of to National Cannagraphic or some such nonsense, so it doesn’t matter what it looks like, just what it tastes / burns like. I still get plenty of sugar, never had any complaints when I share my buds, and it all burns to a nice, white ash with very little harshness to it. I’ve considered getting a roller-trimmer and dry trimming afterwards, then I remember - oh yeah, what I have is just fine. You’ll get a feel for preference, but what you have is about what I’ve been doing for years and shaving HOURS off the trimming process (and saving decades off my aging eyesight). Happy Saturday!

I'm such a poor grower, Man, if I take off too much leaves....starts lookin' pretty puny!!! :hmmmm:
Hey @greenjeans Hope you are well my friend.
I used to be in Orillia probably close to you.
Do you have a current journal going I could have a look at.
That comment about puny buds worries me.
Don't want a fellow Ontario grower not having great buds.
Maby I could lend a hand.
Stay safe.
Bill

Do you have a current journal going I could have a look at.
That comment about puny buds worries me.
Hey Bill - journal is in my signature...my problem is experimenting and frugality!!!! :rofl: This year I tried using whatever Tomato fertilizer was on sale - NOW, DON'T EVERYONE START YELLING AT ONCE!!! :thedoubletake: and while the plants looked great, not so full!! Well, you can read all about it.

Back
Top Bottom