How to manage a plant that's got too tall?

loonizunilover

Greetings,

My tall girl is an Indiana Bubblegum Auto. She is on day 99-100 and has been in flower about 1-1.5 weeks. She is now 7'7" (231 cm) and almost to my ceiling. My question is, should I try to bend the top so it gets full light or just let it ride on up past the ceiling light knowing it will get light right below the tip? I also have some medium & low height side lighting as well (fyi). Thanks in advance!

ttt_n.jpg
2921_n.jpg

yup. do a search for supercropping.

as an aside you need light. its a super stretchy sativa gal looking for every photon she can grab. you really need to give her more.

edit : at least we hope it's a gal at this point. could be a lanky dude. they have tendency to jump for the hoops.

yup. do a search for supercropping.

as an aside you need light. its a super stretchy sativa gal looking for every photon she can grab. you really need to give her more.

edit : at least we hope it's a gal at this point. could be a lanky dude. they have tendency to jump for the hoops.
It's a girl...she's been flowering for about a week now and I also have extra side lighting at medium and low height to supplement.

294351_n.jpg

Before doing any bending I would suggest doing it a few hours after watering. Trying to bend on a relatively dry plant could potentially lead to breaks or snaps more easily.
Would you recommend a super-crop type bend or the gentle lean-over and tie down?

those pics are too fuzzy to really tell. and you could really really use light. those nodes are miles apart. it's trying to bust through the ceiling to get to the real stuff.

Would you recommend a super-crop type bend or the gentle lean-over and tie down?

she's a bit tall for gentle and far too established. you want to do the lean as a plant in veg from the third node or so.

What @bluter just said. I'd do a gentle bend. To be completely honest as bluter also said, your light source looks to be inadequate as the internodal spacing is very large. If you do a bend I would raise the plant to be as close to the light as possible without being too hot. You can gauge the distance by using the back of your hand and feeling for the distance where the light is just warm. Make sure to keep lowering the plant as it reaches and it closer to the heat.

those pics are too fuzzy to really tell. and you could really really use light. those nodes are miles apart. it's trying to bust through the ceiling to get to the real stuff.
The nodes on the bottom 3/4 of the plant are spaced around 5-6 inches apart, the nodes only get wider on the top 18-24"

I'm not very familiar with autos, but that's gotta be the tallest one I've seen.

Is this because most people top their autos early on? What is the best technique to produce a more bushy auto... one with more bud sites?

I'm not very familiar with autos, but that's gotta be the tallest one I've seen.

Is this because most people top their autos early on? What is the best technique to produce a more bushy auto... one with more bud sites?
I believe this strain is just a freak of nature lol. It is classified as a 'medium' height plant but mine is nearly 8 feet tall and my buddy who is also growing one of the same strain...his is around 7 feet tall.

Back
Top Bottom