HPS vs LED

I'm new here, I've read up on a couple of the cap'ns posts, 10oz per plant perpetual and easy hydroponics, that style seems like it would work great for me, I'm in Alaska and i want to keep it legal, 6 total with only 3 in flower, so I'm stuck at the lights, his system calls for two 600 hps in the flower rooms, one per plant, I was thinking I want L.E.D. , everything I have seen on the forum looks more like apples to oranges comparisons, so Mars hydro has what they call a 1200w but the actual power pull is like 595 on 110, would this light be the correct choice if I was going to run a cap'n style grow, and if yield was important would hps be better?

I'm going to make a crazy suggestion. Why not try an LED AND HID? 3 plants with 1 HPS over one end, 1 LED over the other, and some crosstalk for your middle girl. A 600w HPS is going to set you back $175. The LED a considerable amount more. If you plant today and want big plants, temps shouldn't be an issue for you in 60 days! You'll still want a cooltube and contrary to what you might here, 600W from the wall of LED will warm up a room! MHydro has yielded for many here and are pretty reasonable. What are the dimensions of your intended space? Maybe work backwards from there? Good Luck!!!

The plan calls for four plants all staggered a month so after four months you will be harvesting once a month, each plant ending up with a giant root system, veg for two months and flower for two ending up in a scrog

I'm new here, I've read up on a couple of the cap'ns posts, 10oz per plant perpetual and easy hydroponics, that style seems like it would work great for me, I'm in Alaska and i want to keep it legal, 6 total with only 3 in flower, so I'm stuck at the lights, his system calls for two 600 hps in the flower rooms, one per plant, I was thinking I want L.E.D. , everything I have seen on the forum looks more like apples to oranges comparisons, so Mars hydro has what they call a 1200w but the actual power pull is like 595 on 110, would this light be the correct choice if I was going to run a cap'n style grow, and if yield was important would hps be better?

I'm going to make a crazy suggestion. Why not try an LED AND HID? 3 plants with 1 HPS over one end, 1 LED over the other, and some crosstalk for your middle girl. A 600w HPS is going to set you back $175. The LED a considerable amount more. If you plant today and want big plants, temps shouldn't be an issue for you in 60 days! You'll still want a cooltube and contrary to what you might here, 600W from the wall of LED will warm up a room! MHydro has yielded for many here and are pretty reasonable. What are the dimensions of your intended space? Maybe work backwards from there? Good Luck!!!

If I were to follow the plan as close as possible (excluding the 600hps) then each plant in flower wound have a 4x4 area

I don't know the recommended coverage for the 1200. But Yes it should work. Probably the one thing that would make LED and HPS better is a light mover. A mover would distribute the PAR more evenly.

HPS may have a better PAR canopy coverage spread more evenly than LED. But LED can have some GREAT/greater PAR readings compared to HPS but they are general more on center and then weaker at the edges.

IF you can find an LED with great PAR readings that covers your complete canopy then perfect. Otherwise I think an LED on a light mover would be your best option in the long run.

The plan calls for four plants all staggered a month so after four months you will be harvesting once a month, each plant ending up with a giant root system, veg for two months and flower for two ending up in a scrog

The only issue with staggering in the same space/tent is rh needs. In veg I'm looking for high rh. In flower, not so much. .I think that's where that plan runs into trouble. .other than that I like what you say.. Hybrid light grows have some advantages..especially in cool climates

The main reason for me to go from CFL to HPS was to increase my grow space from a 2x2 space with 8 CFL lights to a 4x3 space with 1 light. True I could have made CFL work if I really wanted to, change 10 to 15 light fixtures and then figure out how I would hang them...

OR just buy 1 HPS light, ballast and bulb costing $260... Or spend $1099 to $1200 on an LED that would have the same g/w efficiency as the 600w HPS.

I am honestly not saying LED is bad in any way. Just the up front cost is too much currently. Cost will most likely come down in the future as it gains in popularity.

I have a 3'3"x3'3"x6' tent that is flower under a Mars 900. Cost $350. I am very happy. :peace:

Lol... Theres so much info on this debate you can read for weeks and weeks. Scar, you know what i prefer and you see my grows. I have never got less than 600 grams per 600 watt light except for last grow because of my issues. And i was still right at 500 grams. If you want yield, potency, big, beautiful colas then go with HPS.

I love when newbies come to the site and the first line i hear is i would go with LED because of heat... LMAO... Yea thats why sue and a lot of other well known growers cant even close there tent up due to heat... Sure if you only have 150 draw watts theres no heat LOL. My HPS cooltube runs more efficient and cooler than ANY led, watt for watt. I will bet you ANY amount of money and put anything i have on it. I can get my small 2x4 closets to only a 5 degree temp rise in this 110 degree summer heat. One of my 600 watt closets cost less than $30 a month to run. I replace bulbs every 2 grows or 6 months at $20 each.

I need maximum yield per closet so thats why I have HID setups. You see the colas I grow. Let the pictures speak for themselves. Find anyone with LED's that has colas like mine or anyone that grows with HPS.... You will be looking all day long with no results.

Good luck on your adventure! Make sure I get a invite whether its LED or HID! I am soon starting up my Capt'n Style growing method and hope to maximize my yields even more!!! I will be pushing these 600 watts to the max... Well... i already do that =)

Please link your grow dbkick. It would be great if you shared your success.

Gimme a few , I've got several under a Rapidled onyx, a welthink wex-150 and a aqua illuminations vega right now.
Out of the three I think the coral panel actually does the best job at veg. Of course it's out powered by the Onyx.
I'll do a couple under each form of lighting I have, including DE hps on a mover, Onyx blooms ,sun sytems LEC .
I have a current journal running and you can see it there. It's just about to change drastically.

A 4x3 space isn't going to cost you 1200 to light with LED's. Well it could, but you can do it for much less. But ignoring the reduction in expense when making those comparisons is a bit unfair.

Anyway, you cpuld probably do it for two huny with cfls.

Technology is always more expensive on the front side of the curve. A desktop today runs a couple hundred, with massive storage, and incrEdible speed. .

My first desktop out of the USMC back in the day was 1500.

If that's the price your debating I can see why you'd have concerns. Like I said, ten years from now.....

Massmedman..
Hey Marine shoot me a pm I cant send one to you I'm a fng .. Questions on your led p600

Back
Top Bottom