Icky's Experimental Grow From Bag Seeds

Found this doing research: Looks like I'm causing the problem with bad water and low temps. Gonna have to flush! Potassium - Too much sodium (Na) displaces K, causing a K deficiency. Sources of high salinity are: baking soda (sodium bicarbonate "pH-up"), too much manure, and the use of water-softening filters (which should not be used). If the problem is Na, flush the soil. K can get locked up from too much Ca or ammonium nitrogen, and possibly cold weather. Will cause slow growth and yellowing.

I decided since my 2 best plants are like identical twins, that I would flush just one and see what happens. ran 6 gal. of spring water through her. just watered the rest. cranked up the heat and now the wait to compare begins.

Here is some pics, yellow seems excessive to me. 5 weeks in flower.
4039.JPG
38100.JPG
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/504/37102.JPG
37102.JPG
And a bud pic: The growth seems to have slowed way down.
3929.JPG

Busy morning. Flushed all 5 plants. amount=1 1/2 the container size Distilled water. ph of the water was 6.5. first sign of runoff I tested ph. 2 plants were really good at 6.6-6.8. Other 3 were a little low- 6.0-6.2 ish. added a small amount of horticultural lime to the last gal. of water with a 1/4 dose of 20-20-20. ph of the nuet water was 7.3. final drippage on all 5 plants was 6.6-6.8 ph. Noticed alot of little nats when I was flushing. about a dozen. so after the room was all back to normal I sprayed the lower container area with a very light plant safe insecticide. Temp is 80 deg. right now, was 62 when I went up at lights on. still cold over night. added another small heater to come on for 15 min. every hour to help but not run all the time. The white pistils are starting to turn orange. the Tiny green new growth out of the buds is covered in trichs. they look really nice. I have done all I can do for these bitches. Now its up to them to start popping again. The way they look right now I feel pretty good about it finishing with a decent yield.

Some of the yellow ones have died off. Seems like the plant sucks them dry then drops them off. Been a few days now since the flush. plant shows signs of leaf tip curl. Probably due to the foliar feed I gave them a day before the flush. Other than that they look to be growing again. Definately deep green new growth coming out of the buds again. I have have a new small problem now. The grow room is 80 deg. Outside the room its about 40. Condensation is actually collecting on the plastic. RH still pretty low. 50-55. I can deal with that as long as the girls are happy again. I took a few pics tonight at lights out. hps light and my camera don't get along very well.
This is a few nice lower buds.
45101.JPG
4918.JPG
one of the tops.
4721.JPG

one of the other tops
4638.JPG
Checked the trichs at 50x. they are still crystal clear!

Day 45. The girls are doing well. clipped a few of the leaves that were spent. Buds are growing again. Wondering how much it will set me back? Will the buds still mature in the same length of time but just have smaller buds? Hmm probably. I super cropped a few bottom branches just to see how they respond this late in the game. one already started turning up. 12 hours after bending it off.

Day 47. Ordered some KC Steaks for a good friend. They came packed in dry ice. Thought what the hell. Turned the heat up to 85 and let the stuff turn up the CO2 in the room. I only vent it once a day now because of the nasty cold snap we have here. Not that anyones listening.

Hi LeafLady, Your crops looking quite sweet. What exactly will turn purple? The buds?
Sounds like a cool thing to try. Problem is I'm still up in the air about when exactly the last week is. Trichs still seem clear everywhere I check. When do you like to harvest?

Well the buds look good. Tons of trichomes. Most still clear though. Flushing the salts worked but it caused the MG to overnute. All the leaftips are curling and dying. At this point All I can do is wait. Can't flush anymore so I plan on cutting the root off just below the surface and sticking the whole plant in a gal. jug of distilled for a day or 2. Then I will cut and hang. (When they are ready of course) I can at least say I have learned so much from this first grow. I can't complain. The next one will definately be better. Here are a few more pics I took tonight just as the lights went out.
5619.JPG
5488.JPG
53102.JPG
52102.JPG
5522.JPG

Great Job Icky!!! I am very close with you with my grow in the bloombox. I think I am going to harvest monday. It is always a learning curve. Next time I am going to clone earlier, my clones are a little slow go here at first. I wish they were ready to go into bloom side as soon as I chop what I have now. Can't wait to hear your weigh in and smoke report! How do you plan on drying-curing?

Thanks Clint! I definately wanna get some quality fems and clone from them. This was just a bag seed grow to get the hang of it. I had no idea the amount of knowledge I would gain, or the amount of stuff I would aquire. I plan on hanging them in the dark and backing the heat off to about 60 deg. after a light trim. hang them for a week or 2 until the stems get near the snapping point. Then a final trim and into canning jarsto cure. I will burp them every day for 30 min. I think after about a month I should have some really sweet bud, but like you said, always learning. I may have to find a way to increase RH during the dry. Its gonna be like 50RH with the temps down that low. I don't want the bud to completely dry out too fast and taste like leaves. (chlorphyl). Thanks for checking in Bro. Its nice to know I'm not just talking to myself.

Still waiting. They are still popping white pistils and the trichs are still clear to cloudy. Not much green left anymore, been clipping the leaves that are used up. Trying to wait them out seems to be the tough part.

Halfway done clipping, another week or so I think. just starting to see a few amber trichs. Decided today to frame a room in the basement where the temps stay pretty much the same all year round. Gonna vent out through my radon system. That will double my space and keep the heater from running constantly. May have to add another 400w HPS. 2 Son Agro lamps should do the trick. Here is a few pics while trimming. They are looking pretty shabby now but too late to worry about it.
5719.JPG
This one isn't ready yet:
5914.JPG
6013.JPG
61102.JPG

The wait is over. Got the electric bill yesterday. it jumped from 125 to over $275.00. Heater running all the time in the attic is killing me so chop chop. I do have mostly cloudy to some amber trichs so its not too soon. Now more waiting, drying then curing.
Here is some pics of the buds hanging:
62101.JPG
63100.JPG
6428.JPG
6516.JPG
My yield isn't the greatest but thats mostly my fault. Live and learn. Construction begins on the new grow room next week!

Final Report: 5 plants 5.75 oz.
3 plants of the same strain smell like very good pot with a slight fruity scent.
Excellent taste when inhailing, Slight dirt after taste when exhailing. heady up high.
2 other plants that were topped both had a strong diesel smell. They didn't produce as much as the other 3 but the smoke is skunky and has a great body/couch lock stone. I'll smoke that for a night cap. All have the same dirty after taste. Not bad though.
I am ok with the results of my first grow. I have enough to last me about 6 months. Maybe another grow in the future with the knowlege I have gained throught this awsome process will be even sweeter, we shall see. thanks to everyone that checked it out and helped me along the way. I really had a blast!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom