Instant Pot Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

I made my first batch of Tincture last night. It gave me the munchies BAD. Almost ate the fridge.

Interestingly, only those who need to gain weight do so with cannabis-induced munchies. Science, not my imagination. Lol!

I have a crock pot but not an instant or pressure cooker, how else can I make the oil?

It’ll take more time, but you’ll still get a good oil. Watch your temperatures, which may require a digital thermometer. The Instant Pot decarbs as it infuses in less time, but decarb and infusion will both occur with more time at a lower temp.

I've made oil and butter using many techniques. In the old days, cooked butter directly on stove, carefully watching over it, so as not to let it burn, then the old slow cooker became my favorite way to make it with a butter/water mix. Then I got an MB2. I've really enjoyed the ease of that machine. I don't know that I've really fully LOVED the final product from that method. My most successful batches were made with what's left over in a volcano vaporizer. I'm sure, because it gets naturally decarbed as you vaporize the bud.
I tried this particular method, yesterday, and am pleasantly surprised, especially considering I used a different ratio of bud to oil than the last time I made the oil with this particular strain and harvest of bud (Coked Out Girl Scout Cookies.) It gave me a heady, visual experience, with overall euphoria. The last batch I made, using MB2, made me feel way more jittery, but also gave me a lot more energy, so it's kind of a toss up on that aspect, in all other ways, I think I prefer this method, and look forward to experimenting with it more in the future.

Interesting. How much difference in ingredient ratios did you use this time as opposed to the last Boss?

I love the way you can set the IP and walk away, much like the MB2, but this is easier for me to do small batches of a cup or less.

Interesting. How much difference in ingredient ratios did you use this time as opposed to the last Boss?

I love the way you can set the IP and walk away, much like the MB2, but this is easier for me to do small batches of a cup or less.

Well, usually, I do 14g per cup of oil. Also, since I learned about sunflower lecithin, I've been putting it in when I start the oil making process, instead of adding it at the end. I know the last 3 or 4 times though, I haven't enjoyed the flavor/flavorlessness of my finished product. I feel like I'm using the same MCT oil, although that could be where I'm making the mistake.

May I ask why at the end? I’ve taken to saving the lecithin ‘till I’ve strained it out, but that’s not something that’s cut in stone, just personal choice.

When I was making FHO the lecithin was what we figured was making the oil foam so much, so we stopped adding until the finish. I guess I just carried the practice over.

She did 28 grams to 28 ounces this time following what you suggested in the directions so a little "weaker."

Hi Sue! :passitleft:

Hi ween. :passitleft:

Most of us have higher tolerances. Lol! We enjoy euphoria, which means we medicate completely differently from all the medical suggestions I keep coming across. Lol!

We also may overmedicate, which may or may not be a concern for our daily lives, but may be a concern to the overworked receptors, if in fact that’s something that is a concern. I’ll be happier when they can demonstrate this happening in a human body instead of some mice or petri dishes.

Out here on the cutting edge it doesn’t feel dangerous at all to walk around with a blistering buzz. :battingeyelashes:

May I ask why at the end? I’ve taken to saving the lecithin ‘till I’ve strained it out, but that’s not something that’s cut in stone, just personal choice.

When I was making FHO the lecithin was what we figured was making the oil foam so much, so we stopped adding until the finish. I guess I just carried the practice over.

She was following your directions. Not to a t but pretty close. She only had about 2.5 tbls and should have added 3.5. Added to the warm, almost hot bowl before straining and stirred. Should we just add to the jar after straining?

How did u do the tincture

It's something I want to try

What strain did u use?
Eat it or smoke it?

Copied from the interwebs:

Master Wu's Green Dragon recipe

Master Wu’s Guide was first published in 2006 and embodies one of the most comprehensive tincture recipes accessible online. It offers detailed instructions along with tips and tricks to make things easier along the way. This recipe uses heat to accelerate the concentration and extraction process. The traditional technique is very effective, but takes several weeks to be available for consumption. Master Wu’s recipe can be completed in one night.

Decarboxylate your ground cannabis flower for 30-45 minutes in a 220-240 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven. ( I did 275F for 20-25 minutes not ground but broken up fine)

Add decarboxylated flower to a grain alcohol base (Everclear is recommended). Ratios are determined by the needs of the user. Typical starting amounts should be 1/4oz flower to 4oz of alcohol. (I did 30g to about 12oz EverClear 151)

Place mason jar with mixture, uncovered in a water bath for 20 minutes at 170 degrees Fahrenheit

Strain the mixture and store in a cool, dry place for years.

That's it... 1/2 dropper under tongue and let it sit there for a few minutes.

There's an artery under your tongue that goes direct to you corotid/aorta. If you swallow it, instead of under tongue, it takes a lot longer to feel the effect.

All in all it's a lot of work. I'm starting with this in hopes to move up the chain of concentrates.
I already know how to make hash the traditional way with keif and then heat it gently. Pressing flowers is exciting me. o_O

And I don't want to have the munchies....

Try it AFTER dinner. hahahaha no guarantee.

It's probably the weed that gives us the munchies, well I mean the strain.

I made my tincture mainly from Blue Dream and Cookies trim from last round. I have a lot of trim, this stores forever and can be made into other goodies later if needed.

Hard part was Decarb. I used the Magical Budder box - my oven doesn't go down under like 290F so its constant vigilance so the material doesnt get too hot.

Once I decarbed. The water bath with alcohol was easy enough. Just wait until no more bubbles in the alcohol and it's finished - took about 15-20 minutes @ 170F.

:) munchies is from the strain.
When I get it, it is bad. :rofl::laugh:
Before, I only made butter, it was the easiest. Turned canna butter into cookies and stored them in freezer.
Can't wait to make tinctures, cobs and oils..

Interestingly, only those who need to gain weight do so with cannabis-induced munchies. Science, not my imagination. Lol!

You could be on to something. I'm pretty active at the gym and burning a lot of calories. I swim train every day @ 90+ laps = 2250 meters daily. Today the life guard asked me "how many laps do you swim?" She turned her head in disgust at the answer. Not sure why... could have been my bad hair I'm thinking. lol.

You could be on to something. I'm pretty active at the gym and burning a lot of calories. I swim train every day @ 90+ laps = 2250 meters daily. Today the life guard asked me "how many laps do you swim?" She turned her head in disgust at the answer. Not sure why... could have been my bad hair I'm thinking. lol.
I remember my swimming days.....
Every day, for a long time.
If I was feeling well, I didn't stop at my daily (2-3000 meters) goal.
Now I walk alot. 7-8 km a day.
Work out gives me munchies if I haven't a "eat on time" schedule.

Try it AFTER dinner. hahahaha no guarantee.

It's probably the weed that gives us the munchies, well I mean the strain.

I made my tincture mainly from Blue Dream and Cookies trim from last round. I have a lot of trim, this stores forever and can be made into other goodies later if needed.

Hard part was Decarb. I used the Magical Budder box - my oven doesn't go down under like 290F so its constant vigilance so the material doesnt get too hot.

Once I decarbed. The water bath with alcohol was easy enough. Just wait until no more bubbles in the alcohol and it's finished - took about 15-20 minutes @ 170F.

Do you measure the cannabis trim, and does yours contain popcorn buds like Brix’s does? Since you’re using the process as much to use up trim as anything else it doesn’t much matter, I’m just curious about how much you use.

I watched Brix make a batch of oil in a huge pot on the stove over three days with 2 cups of coconut oil and two huge bags of trim in water. I’d never seen oil made like that before, in the same way I’ve never made tincture with anything other than top buds.

I added it at the end, this round. I followed your recipe, because I'm always trying to improve upon what I've already got going. Weenmeoff is always suggesting looking to your site/threads for answers. I think I'll stick with it.

She was following your directions. Not to a t but pretty close. She only had about 2.5 tbls and should have added 3.5. Added to the warm, almost hot bowl before straining and stirred. Should we just add to the jar after straining?
She has a very high tolerance!

One thing I was wondering, can this method be done without grinding up the buds? Will final product be as good and wouldn't it be easier to strain?

Sue.....we've been wondering about these 2 things....can you give us a hand?

Sue.....we've been wondering about these 2 things....can you give us a hand?

In theory it's not necessary to break the buds to decarb, and sometimes, when I'm decarbing in the oven I'll not break them up. My woman's brain tells me that the greater the surface area exposed the easier it'll be for the carbon atoms to fly away, so I typically do bust them up before decarbing. I'm just not sure if it's really necessary.

My fallback is that a varied cannabinoid profile is a good thing, so I don't worry so much about complete decarb. The IP does a good job of decarbing, but I don't recall ever trying with full buds, since most of my personal oils go to brownies, and I keep all the plant material in my brownies. I grind fine and make my own oils.

As to lecithin, it can be added anytime. Simply bring it all back to at least room temp and stir it in. I stopped measuring it quite some time ago. The body loves lecithin, so I just drop a glob in and call it a day. One of the nicer features of cannabis is the flexibility in processing. No one will get hurt with a little more or a little less of LSL. A little more always feels right to me. Lol!

I also use silkscreen silk - 125 threads to the inch - to strain my oils. You'll get fine sediment, but that's never been a problem. If it is you can do a final strain through a coffee filter. The silk is much easier to use IMO.

In theory it's not necessary to break the buds to decarb, and sometimes, when I'm decarbing in the oven I'll not break them up. My woman's brain tells me that the greater the surface area exposed the easier it'll be for the carbon atoms to fly away, so I typically do bust them up before decarbing. I'm just not sure if it's really necessary.

My woman's brain tells me the same thing. I was NOT breaking ti up when I was using the MB2, bc it grinds it up pretty well.

My fallback is that a varied cannabinoid profile is a good thing, so I don't worry so much about complete decarb. The IP does a good job of decarbing, but I don't recall ever trying with full buds, since most of my personal oils go to brownies, and I keep all the plant material in my brownies. I grind fine and make my own oils.

When you make brownies, you leave in the plant material? I made "potsagna" one time. I added full buds to the sauce (didn't know about decarbing at the time) and then to the ricotta mixture. A bunch of my friends and I had such a good time.

I thought the plant material was hard to digest and often gives a tummy ache!?!?

I find that sometimes with the plant material, I've had tummy troubles, and other times, not. Any thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom