Is Perlite safe to use on top of my soil for Fungus Gnats?

Smokemupm8

Hello mate, And THANK YOU FOR READING THIS!!
I grow in soil, and my girl is into flower now, she has some Fungus Gnats, A fellow member suggested using perlite on topsoil to help keep them out..
So i got some and they hate it!! But im worried, do i just water over top of the perlite as usual, and is it safe for my plant?? I wasnt sure if watering on top of the Perlite would harm my girl, by leaching out chemicals or whateva??
I know it says its sterile and stuff, i just didnt know if it has any thing in it that i should be worried about??
ANY HELP APPRECIATED THANK YOU GUYS!! Smokemup;):thumb:

Thank JJ..
Eases my mind a bit!! Cool, so ill just water over top, first will spray the top with some water so hopefully it wont go everywhere:)
And ill be in touch bout the DE:thumb: Thank you, SMokemup..

Keep in mind Smokey that many hydro growers use 100% perlite as their growing medium.

Perlite is just silica that has been heat treated to form into little porous popcorn like rocks. It has no chemicals at all, its just a rock.

However with that said make sure your perlite is in fact 100% perlite. Some companies (miracle gro comes to mind) sell perlite that also has nutes added.

You shouldnt have to wash perlite or nothing. It is grow ready right out the bag.

When I make a new pot for a plant I toss in some soil to cover up the bottom holes well, then toss in like 20% perlite, add a lil more soil, then put in all the soil amendments and mix it all up. No washing or nothing.

Thanks again Jimmy..
Yeah this stuff says it been treated or something its 100% natural and sterile and totally safe for hydroponic growing.
Ive never had much use for it really, ive used Vermiculite sometimes, but yeah, that cool..
The Funky Gnats are going slowly.. Which is good. I just thought maybe it d hold some water or nutes? CHEERS BUDDY!!
Smokemupm8!!

perlite barely holds water. Its more for holding air to allow nearby roots to breath.

People who hydro in 100% perlite water often.

Ok yeah sweet...
But wont them stoopid Funky Gnats lay eggs in it once its wet?? Or do they only like soil??

Ok yeah sweet...
But wont them stoopid Funky Gnats lay eggs in it once its wet?? Or do they only like soil??

Fungus gnats like all the organic matter in the soil. Perlite is of no use for them it just makes their life a little more difficult. You can also try mosquito dunks, you just break them up and put them on the soil surface it doesn't harm the plants but the gnats go by by.

Ok yeah sweet...

Nah fungus gnats need to lay eggs in soil. They wont lay them on rocks.

Back
Top Bottom