Is sugar in water good?

Little off-topic but since vitamins were brought up, what if you're using Superthrive along with all the other carbo loaders? I haven't picked it up yet but it's supposed to be great stuff, all natural vitamins & hormones. Plus the whole "drop a gallon" thing is nice... Hell, at that rate I think I could afford to go TWO drops.

Just a thought...

Little off-topic but since vitamins were brought up, what if you're using Superthrive along with all the other carbo loaders? I haven't picked it up yet but it's supposed to be great stuff, all natural vitamins & hormones. Plus the whole "drop a gallon" thing is nice... Hell, at that rate I think I could afford to go TWO drops.

Just a thought...
I'm laughin like shit at ur "TWO drops" comment. What u wanna use Superthrive for? I used it because it contains B-1 to help ease stress b4 home depot staryed carrying gallons of B-1.

Well, nothing really conclusive yet but so far I've clipped a couple of small, early (like 7-week-flower) nugs off my Purple Kush and OG Kush plants that've both been getting my 3-part sugar mix (light corn syrup (corn syrup, vanilla & salt), unsulfured molasses and organic raw agave nectar).

So they both have the outward smell (light, but it's there) typical to either strain, the PK just smells grapey/'purple' (you know what I mean), the OG is more lemon/pine-sol-ish, pretty much what I'd expect. But on the toke (which for 2-day quick-dried bud wasn't even a BIT harsh), the PK just had a really super-sweet grape flavor, the OG came out tasting more like sugary tangerine than the usual lemon-fuel flavor.

Interesting to say the least, can't wait until I have more mature, properly dried/cured buds to sample but for an early test, it seems like the plants do have a much sweeter flavor and aren't nearly as harsh as one would expect.

Well, nothing really conclusive yet but so far I've clipped a couple of small, early (like 7-week-flower) nugs off my Purple Kush and OG Kush plants that've both been getting my 3-part sugar mix (light corn syrup (corn syrup, vanilla & salt), unsulfured molasses and organic raw agave nectar).

So they both have the outward smell (light, but it's there) typical to either strain, the PK just smells grapey/'purple' (you know what I mean), the OG is more lemon/pine-sol-ish, pretty much what I'd expect. But on the toke (which for 2-day quick-dried bud wasn't even a BIT harsh), the PK just had a really super-sweet grape flavor, the OG came out tasting more like sugary tangerine than the usual lemon-fuel flavor.

Interesting to say the least, can't wait until I have more mature, properly dried/cured buds to sample but for an early test, it seems like the plants do have a much sweeter flavor and aren't nearly as harsh as one would expect.

where did he post salt at?

vanilla & salt

I posted this in another thread ... I thought you might want to read it

So as you know I have tried and now continue to use sucanat. You really need good genetics for good flavor and smoke. I believe all the bud enhancers do help but when you have shitty seed with poor genetics it is still going to taste like crap. I had some seed that turned out to be "stealth hermies" One plant one developed one banana where I could not see it under an already well formed bud. Another went a good way female 3-4 weeks before it totally went banana in a big way. Both had nice buds ... both had sucanat and other bud enhancements. One smells like hay and tastes like shit, the other surprisingly is fruity like mangos both smelling it and the aftertaste. So if you have crappy genetics and you get a bad plant sucanat or not it will still taste like crap. Speaking of better genetics S girl has been harvested in steps. She is incredible, smooth with flavor that is unique (lost all pine flavor the early bud had)

anyway here is a look at a bag of S Girl nuggets

For scale that is a lunch bag with 24 grams of nuggets, can ya smell them? :cheesygrinsmiley:

DSC_7231_buds.jpg

I posted this in another thread ... I thought you might want to read it

this is very true. no matter how much you sweeten it. it's still is going to turn out the same. if you want a sweet strain you can obtain several. if you like a skunky plant or a plant with more of a hash taste order some seeds.
but sugars are carbs for plants. energy. i wouldnt use vanila its got alcohol in it. salt either. nothing with sodium except molasses. i water/folair with selzer. it makes the leaves thicker. while in the sunlight.
dont use bud candy because itll make my plant sweeter. carbs only. it is what it is.

Molasses is very common when growing organically! It is used as a food source for the microherd when brewing tea's, not enough food for the beneficial microbes and the tea will go anaerobic.
Molasses is full of sugars & complex carbs that feed the microbes in the soil, which in return feed the plant.

Molasses is to feed the microbes in the soil, NOT the plant!
Molasses has very little food that the plant can readily absorb, rather it is full of food for the microbes in the soil that break it down into food for the plant.
If you don't have a healthy living organic soil thriving with microbes then I don't really see the potential benefit.

Adding some molasses, or flavored bud candy towards the end is not going to make the buds sweeter or flavored, it is not that easy. Every plant has a pre-determined genetic potential, if you supply it with everything necessary then it will reach it's full potential. You can't just add products and expect it to make it sweeter or flavored, every strain already has certain levels of terpenoids & flavinoids which determines it's taste & smell. However you can give your plant optimal conditions which will "enhance" the terpenoids & flavinoids

If you used molasses properly, you would need microbes to break it down. If microbes aren't present, it loses it's effectiveness. Using it just at the end of flowering would contradict it's purpose. In an organic grow, microbes are always present, therefore you would use molasses during the entire grow

Here is an informative post on molasses

Ok, now what it does - Molasses has many micros, vitamins, metals and other trace elements that your plant can absorb. More importantly these micros and vitamins help encourage healthy beneficials in the soil - the same bacteria and fungi that mineralize your organic amendments making them available to your plants. Secondly, the sugars that are left in the blackstrap are a readily available form of carbon for which the beneficials eat. Bennies, although they turn N,P,K material into ionized forms, mostly eat available carbon - for every gram of nitrogen they need they must also have 30-50 grams of carbon...

So in essence molasses does fairly little for the plant itself but does wonders for your soil which in turn will help your plant. I recommend feeding your soil molasses all through the grow - the notion that it's only beneficial at the ends is a bit silly in my opinion, and the stories of plants directly absorbing sugar to make the plant sweet is a bit crazy... Ever burn sugar? It's gross - I don't know why anyone would want extra sugar in their buds.

Scholarly evidence to the above:

"The influence of effective microorganisms (EM), a commercially available microbial inoculant containing yeasts, fungi, bacteria and actinomycetes, was evaluated in field trials of commercially produced, irrigated vegetable crops on “organic” farms in Canterbury, New Zealand during 1994–1995, and in a laboratory incubation. EM plus molasses were both applied, at 10 L ha□ 1 in 10,000 L ha□ 1 water, three times to the onions, twice to the peas and seven times to the sweetcorn. EM plus molasses increased the onion yield by 29% and the proportion of highest grade onions by 76%. EM plus molasses also increased pea yields by 31% and sweetcorn cob weights by 23%. A four week incubation at 30°C of loamy sand and 1% w/w pasture litter had treatments including a control, glucose, and EM plus glucose, and captured respired carbon (C) using NaOH traps. By the end of the incubation the glucose treatment had respired 38% more C than the control. The EM treatment respired an additional 8% more C than the glucose treatment. Using EM stimulated C mineralization in the laboratory incubation, but a corresponding increase in mineralization of organic nitrogen, phosphorus and sulphur was not measured." Taylor & Francis Online :: Influence of

Of course if you are using already available chemical nutes molasses and beneficials will have little effect. If your soil is sterile molasses will also do very little.

Molasses is very common when growing organically! It is used as a food source for the microherd when brewing tea's, not enough food for the beneficial microbes and the tea will go anaerobic.
Molasses is full of sugars & complex carbs that feed the microbes in the soil, which in return feed the plant.

Molasses is to feed the microbes in the soil, NOT the plant!
Molasses has very little food that the plant can readily absorb, rather it is full of food for the microbes in the soil that break it down into food for the plant.
If you don't have a healthy living organic soil thriving with microbes then I don't really see the potential benefit.

Adding some molasses, or flavored bud candy towards the end is not going to make the buds sweeter or flavored, it is not that easy. Every plant has a pre-determined genetic potential, if you supply it with everything necessary then it will reach it's full potential. You can't just add products and expect it to make it sweeter or flavored, every strain already has certain levels of terpenoids & flavinoids which determines it's taste & smell. However you can give your plant optimal conditions which will "enhance" the terpenoids & flavinoids

If you used molasses properly, you would need microbes to break it down. If microbes aren't present, it loses it's effectiveness. Using it just at the end of flowering would contradict it's purpose. In an organic grow, microbes are always present, therefore you would use molasses during the entire grow

Here is an informative post on molasses
im usingblackstrap unsufered molasess during veg, also FF bushmaster bacteria and fungus. i use fish emulsion. selzer folair. reverse osmossis water in my medium. bill's perfect fert and sprayngrow. i used to fall for all the AN products. good advertising.

never use chlorinated water or tap. destroys good bacteria and fungus. rti's nitrogen microbs.
bill's perfect organic is 5-12-8. fish derived. cal/mag then some jamaican bat guano. after that its just water and molasses.
followed by an agava nectar flush under the last weeks. then flush more.

im usingblackstrap unsufered molasess during veg, also FF bushmaster bacteria and fungus. i use fish emulsion. selzer folair. reverse osmossis water in my medium. bill's perfect fert and sprayngrow. i used to fall for all the AN products. good advertising.

Sounds like your on your way to organics! I'm steering to a new method of growing inspired by a few other organic growers on 420Mag, it's called "High Brix"

You should consider amending your soil with some soft rock phosphate, CaCO3, Gypsum, Azomite, worm castings, & Humus. Along with weekly Aerated teas, this will really bring your organics to the next level!

never use chlorinated water or tap. destroys good bacteria and fungus. rti's nitrogen microbs.
bill's perfect organic is 5-12-8. fish derived. cal/mag then some jamaican bat guano. after that its just water and molasses.
followed by an agava nectar flush under the last weeks. then flush more.

You can use tap water, you just have to let it bubble with air stones for over 24 hours to get the chlorine out

Back
Top Bottom