Is this completely normal?

Remystemple

So every grow now near the end of flower I've noticed that the buds start to jut out from the main cola like little blooms on top of the main.

2 things I'm wonder is if it's normal. And if I let the plants grow will the rest of the bud fill out the extra blooms?

Here's a pic as I'm probably not describing it very well.
20191106_173532.jpg

What you are referring to are known as foxtails. I've noticed some strains seem to be prone to have that happening. I've seen it on several of my plants, but not all of them. When I first started reading up on growing, some mentioned foxtailling was something you didn't want, but not for any negative reasons, just abnormal. The more I look at other grows, the more I see it's nothing to really worry about. One video I watched, state that if left alone, that foxtail will grow into it's own little bud. No idea if that's true, but I do know they can get bigger than what you have.

Once others chime in, we will know if it's just genetics, or if it's an external factor. To me, I would not worry about it, as I've seen it before, and it smokes perfectly fine.

I would like to know if there are certain things that can trigger it, or if it just happens on it's own.

What you are referring to are known as foxtails. I've noticed some strains seem to be prone to have that happening. I've seen it on several of my plants, but not all of them. When I first started reading up on growing, some mentioned foxtailling was something you didn't want, but not for any negative reasons, just abnormal. The more I look at other grows, the more I see it's nothing to really worry about. One video I watched, state that if left alone, that foxtail will grow into it's own little bud. No idea if that's true, but I do know they can get bigger than what you have.

Once others chime in, we will know if it's just genetics, or if it's an external factor. To me, I would not worry about it, as I've seen it before, and it smokes perfectly fine.

I would like to know if there are certain things that can trigger it, or if it just happens on it's own.
I was wondering if it was from the lights i'm using. but i'm interested that they might grow more. i was gonna chop this saturday, but now i might leave for a week to see what happens.

I was wondering if it was from the lights i'm using. but i'm interested that they might grow more. i was gonna chop this saturday, but now i might leave for a week to see what happens.
Out of all the plants I've grown, I've only had foxtails appear on my indoor plants, so maybe it indeed has something to do with the lights. I know they are powerful, so it's very possible.

Hmm, now I wonder. Do you see them on the lower buds, or just the top colas?

For what it's worth, I think I got some foxtailing last round from running my new QB wide open and too close. I ran that same strain before that light and since under that light and haven't seen it again. Cheers! :yahoo:

For what it's worth, I think I got some foxtailing last round from running my new QB wide open and too close. I ran that same strain before that light and since under that light and haven't seen it again. Cheers! :yahoo:

Just found this and it kind of makes me feel the same way. maybe I have too much light. or too close. i'd link but they're not sponsors.

"WHAT CAUSES CANNABIS FOXTAILING?

Foxtailing can be caused either by genetics or by stress. If you’re growing outdoors, any foxtailing is almost always due to genetics. Some strains of cannabis are simply more prone to developing foxtails.

Indoors, however, foxtailing can be caused by light stress during the flowering phase. In this case, plants start developing foxtails in parts of the flowers that are too close to the light source for too long. This is most common in setups with HPS or plasma lighting. Plants with this kind of foxtailing usually also have bleached or burnt tips or buds as a result of the heat from the grow light."

Foxtail that is genetic, the whole plant will have it. If the plant is foxtailing due to light stress it will only be the tops that are closest to the light that will foxtail.

Either way, I don't consider foxtails as a plus. if I grow a plant that has it in the genetics like for instance Blue Dream, I won't run that strain again.

Fox-tails if you look at it closely there is added green plant growth added to the flowers. I don't want that extra green leafy stuff mixed in and I consider it lower quality and for sure lower bag appeal.

FWIW - to the OP. I chop when my plants start doing that. Its a sign of stress and there are other issues that can crop up with the stress. Nanners being the big one that I really do not want in my flowers.

Foxtails for me usually elongate and do not swell that much (if at all). While the looks (or taste) of them certainly aren't that of a nice big firm bud, the real important stuff :lot-o-toke: is not hampered a bit.;) you will get medicated; If you don't want to smoke it, it will work for concentrations; if you are selling you might have a slight problem . . .
Mine occur due to going too long btw

Foxtail that is genetic, the whole plant will have it. If the plant is foxtailing due to light stress it will only be the tops that are closest to the light that will foxtail.

Either way, I don't consider foxtails as a plus. if I grow a plant that has it in the genetics like for instance Blue Dream, I won't run that strain again.

Fox-tails if you look at it closely there is added green plant growth added to the flowers. I don't want that extra green leafy stuff mixed in and I consider it lower quality and for sure lower bag appeal.

FWIW - to the OP. I chop when my plants start doing that. Its a sign of stress and there are other issues that can crop up with the stress. Nanners being the big one that I really do not want in my flowers.

yes i noticed there's a lot of extra green in them, and i'm convinced my lights are too close now. funny i wanted to switch to qb's from the cob / led boards that i have when i realized my lights are much brighter than any of them qb's on the market looking at the ppfd charts.

I had heaps of foxtails on 2 out of 3 of my blue dream’matic auto’s
5CE4C7E0-5AB5-46C8-9C44-B8FEDF204266.jpeg
E8017CB5-0E99-4FBF-8A61-A8F972A2A684.jpeg

well, I wouldn't be upset about that, that's for sure. beautiful cola!

well, I wouldn't be upset about that, that's for sure. beautiful cola!
Yeah definitely not. Nothing better than homegrown. Here is the other one that fox tailed as well. She is getting the chop today.
7B2E5825-3AE8-4D05-96F3-E87C86ACB1D4.jpeg
4D4122BD-12DE-41B7-9350-5623EA9571DF.jpeg
F40140AA-4FCC-4F60-95CD-600AF06AAFA6.jpeg
13157C41-3EB5-4D3A-BAB1-13C7D41944F4.jpeg
821427F1-7000-4BDB-837F-975BD2CE65C1.jpeg

Out of all the plants I've grown, I've only had foxtails appear on my indoor plants, so maybe it indeed has something to do with the lights. I know they are powerful, so it's very possible.

Hmm, now I wonder. Do you see them on the lower buds, or just the top colas?
You are correct. Foxtailing is brpught on by heat and light stress but as has been touched on genetics do play a role and some strains are more prone than others.

Back
Top Bottom