Is this normal end of flowering yellowing?

Timhomegrow

Autos on their 11th week, soil grow, floronova bloom, 78-79 temp 45-50RH.

I had lots of issues early in so they never looked normal. Last week the fan leaves yellowed, figured end of flowering yellowing but not other leaves are yellowing. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200617-093858~2.png
    Screenshot_20200617-093858~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 155
I hate to disagree, but this is not late flower... it is mid flower, and the yellowing does concern me. First, I wouldn't consider even late season yellowing as normal... it might be common, but a plant getting proper nutrition doesn't necessarily have to yellow at the end. A lot of plants turn colors at the end, but yellowing indicates a problem.

My first suggestion is that after giving nutes all of this time, some salts may have built up in the soil, restricting uptake of nutrients. Oftentimes a mid flower flush (3x the container size) clears this problem neatly.

If the yellowing is only occurring in the upper growth, that indicates a non-mobile nutrient deficiency. This oftentimes relates to the pH of your fluids, but it could point to some other things too. I need more information to make a correct diagnosis here... but no... I don't think what we are seeing here is normal... it is a warning that something is not in balance.

Thanks Em, I was hoping you would see as you always have good advice.

Ph levels, after adding nutes to water is 6.4-6.6 range. I've been doing 3 feedings with nutes then the 4th feeding just water during the entire grow. Perhaps I should have done 2 with nutes then one without.

Yellowing is only, for now, in the upper parts

I'll try a flush on the next watering schedule or should I just flush now?

I stand corrected, but would have thought 11 weeks would be late flowering not mid. You are correct on the distinction between changing colors and yellowing, totally wrong call on my part. Thanks for the input!

With my earlier issues these autos are behind for their age.

I would flush on the next watering day. I think we also now see why your salt is building up... it is the feed/feed/feed/water schedule you are using. In soil it is more usual to use a feed/water/feed/water schedule because that allows the system to better take care of buildups. If you feed one time and then follow up with just pH adjusted water the next time, it gives any unused nutes a chance to be reactivated and used, instead of building up in the soil.

@Emilya I flushed them yesterday, the yellowing got worse. Will the leaves turn green again?

Pic from before flush yesterday and pic today. Assuming resume feeding during the next watering?

Attachments

• IMG_20200618_201148.jpg
    IMG_20200618_201148.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20200619_111207.jpg
    IMG_20200619_111207.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Yes, feed/water/feed/water all the way through now. Full strength nutes and make sure your pH is right as close to 6.3 as you can get it before applying any fluids to that soil from here on out. Its not surprising that the yellow got worse, since of course we didn't feed after the flush... that probably could have been modified since the plants were known to be hungry and you could have ended the flush process with a feed at the end. Its ok... they will be fine soon. I bet they are sucking up water like crazy right now.

@Emilya it's been a week since flushing, one feeding and one water. How long does it take for the leaves to turn green again or is the damage already done? Will it ruin the bud that some of the sugar leaves are also yellowing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_073913.jpg
    IMG_20200625_073913.jpg
    955.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20200624_080004.jpg
    IMG_20200624_080004.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 92
the yellow leaves won't come back. once a plant starts feeding on itself it's hard to stop it. the key is to provide what it needs so it doesn't resort to feeding off itself as a first choice. some autos do it more aggressively.

you are not that far off, i would say you are gonna get there. it's good experience for future grows.

@Emilya it's been a week since flushing, one feeding and one water. How long does it take for the leaves to turn green again or is the damage already done? Will it ruin the bud that some of the sugar leaves are also yellowing?

Thanks in advance for the help!
the leaves that have already been sacrificed in order to keep the buds going, are gone. They will never come back. The yellowing progression should stop soon however, if you are giving enough nutes. The buds are the number one priority, so hopefully they have not been damaged by all of this... saving them was the point after all.

Thanks all! Two of the three are close. The bigger one is starting to show some cloudy tricomes and the smallest right behind it. The Christmas tree sad looking girl has been a mess since the start so if she doesn't make it that's ok.....never expected her to get this far ha.

They aren't looking so good. The biggest plant has 40-50% cloudy tricomes.......is it better to harvest now or wait given her issues?

2nd most mature one still has white pistils but they are starting to turn. Tricomes clear. Hopefully I can finish this girl, or should I harvest her too?

3rd may be a loss, I'll keep her going until she dies I guess.

Didn't help I lost power for 9 hours yesterday :(

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_091510.jpg
    IMG_20200628_091510.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
Hey THG,

I’m remember getting laughed at over home grown. Back in the day that used to be a dirty word... cheap, hay tasting, chlorophyll laden, hack up both lungs type of home grown weed that is. It’s great the tide turned long ago and we can grow great stuff.

I openly admit I am the greenest of the newbie greenhorn growers here. How interesting 10 to 15 days later yet the flush & more nutes didnt fix this. I disagree, 11 weeks is not mid-flower for an auto plant, maybe a long running photo-strain but dont think it applies to the large majority of autos.

It’s nice to have lush green plants up to the moment of harvest, but seasons change and many strains eat their fans in favor of maturity, the possibility of seed production and senescence. That photoperiod plant could live on for a year or three as a clone mother but every auto flower was issued a morgue approved toe-tag of impending death via its ruderalis ancestry.

Make your harvest decisions based on the normal stuff; buds filling out, pistils receding or browning out and color of trichs. I’m not suggesting you do this only food for thought... but here in apple & wine country of blue ridge mountains I’ve never seen any orchardists or vintners harvest all of their fruit in one day, they all harvest each tree or plant selectively over many weeks time gathering only the ripest fruit. Obviously not all the fruit on any given tree, vine or garden plant ripens all at once.

For our crop - most folks chop the whole plant at once - others cut in stages by taking top colas first and waiting for mids and/or lowers to mature. Just tag & bag (so to speak) then after curing you will know which portions ended up tasting the best or being more potent. Whatever - you get the drift!

Ball is in your court. Regardless of instant chop or staggered harvest check trichs on buds (not fans) all over the top, middle & bottom levels then make it work according to your goals. As always... I will be happy for Emilya to correct any of my newbieness contained here.

Best of luck to you!

Hey THG,

I’m remember getting laughed at over home grown. Back in the day that used to be a dirty word... cheap, hay tasting, chlorophyll laden, hack up both lungs type of home grown weed that is. It’s great the tide turned long ago and we can grow great stuff.

I openly admit I am the greenest of the newbie greenhorn growers here. How interesting 10 to 15 days later yet the flush & more nutes didnt fix this. I disagree, 11 weeks is not mid-flower for an auto plant, maybe a long running photo-strain but dont think it applies to the large majority of autos.

It’s nice to have lush green plants up to the moment of harvest, but seasons change and many strains eat their fans in favor of maturity, the possibility of seed production and senescence. That photoperiod plant could live on for a year or three as a clone mother but every auto flower was issued a morgue approved toe-tag of impending death via its ruderalis ancestry.

Make your harvest decisions based on the normal stuff; buds filling out, pistils receding or browning out and color of trichs. I’m not suggesting you do this only food for thought... but here in apple & wine country of blue ridge mountains I’ve never seen any orchardists or vintners harvest all of their fruit in one day, they all harvest each tree or plant selectively over many weeks time gathering only the ripest fruit. Obviously not all the fruit on any given tree, vine or garden plant ripens all at once.

For our crop - most folks chop the whole plant at once - others cut in stages by taking top colas first and waiting for mids and/or lowers to mature. Just tag & bag (so to speak) then after curing you will know which portions ended up tasting the best or being more potent. Whatever - you get the drift!

Ball is in your court. Regardless of instant chop or staggered harvest check trichs on buds (not fans) all over the top, middle & bottom levels then make it work according to your goals. As always... I will be happy for Emilya to correct any of my newbieness contained here.

Best of luck to you!

I took a little bud from down low yesterday and cut it up and let it dry overnight. Tasted pretty good today and definitely gave me a nice high.

I'm just not sure how to tell when the plant leaves are dying when the death moves to the buds so to speak. Watching them daily, one is close and may get the chop soon.

Definitely excited to start the next grow with all I've learned so I can hopefully do it right ha

Attachments

• IMG_20200628_090534.jpg
    IMG_20200628_090534.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 89
Nice glitter congrats on taking a sampler, it’s a big milestone.

It’s not like she’s gonna kill over tomorrow. Even tho she’s wearing a toe tag, her sap is still flowing good for another week or two depending.

Again, I’m not the expert & Miss E can rectify this. But I think your girl is circling the drain so it’s wise seeking advice. Hopefully others will chime in soon

I agree, they are wearing a toe tag ;).

Big one is 70% cloudy best as I can tell, pic.

Smallest one is about 50% cloudy but only 20% pitils amber. Rest are starting to turn, not bright white. That plants doesn't have as much yellowing leaves.

Third...idk what's up with her she's been crazy through this whole thing and I have named her the Ex ;). She may get sliced and diced or tossed. Heck, can't even see inside her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-170210.png
    Screenshot_20200628-170210.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
Never toss, run her til she croaks!

Had 3 clone sisters recently, sawed first one at clear to cloudy, next one chopped at cloudy to amber, last girl cut her throat at amber to crispy. I moved each thru process of bud washing, hang dry, low & slow fridge cure in paper bags finally into separate jars. First one is little edgy, last 2 are good.

Back
Top Bottom