Juanbahama's Hydro Candyland & Skywalker Kush First Time Grow - 2017

Starting to see some pretty rapid gains now

420-magazine-mobile1856551401.jpg

Well, just got word from Phylos. They called to tell me that my results would be delayed and it's looking like next week. Something to do with getting slammed by orders and a nationwide shortage of some sort of testing material they require. Pretty bummed by this turn of events. At least it's just 4 plants. If I were growing commercially this would be a disaster.

To their credit they apologized and are sending me a new kit for my next grow. Hopefully they'll iron out any scaling/supply chain issues they may be having soon.

Unfortunately, growth in the tent is accelerating fast now and can't wait a week for the results to transplant, so the sex test I sent is essentially rendered useless for determining which plants I need to pull. Still, it will be interesting to get the results next week.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll hunt for any preflowers on the candyland plants. It might be a bit early to see any, but it's the best I've got right now for determining sex. Fingers crossed the candyland I choose to stay in the dwc tub is a girl. The other tub will be occupied by the fem Skywalker kush.

Occurred to me that my plants are all at about 6 nodes now, maybe what I'll do is start mainlining them tonight. I'll then take the cuttings and force flower them separately to determine sex. I wonder how long they'll take to show?

Ok, started mainlining them last night. All plants were topped down to the third node and everything below that removed. Cuttings were placed in rapid rooters with some clonex and are now drooping sadly under a t5 in a humidity dome.

As soon as these clones perk up a bit I'm going to switch them to 14/10 dark/light and force them to flower. Hoping the roots don't go too crazy in the meantime and hoping all the pruning buys me a little time.

Oh, the white substance on the rapid rooters in the dwc is back so I also sprayed some SNS-244 on them and covered them with some cool little covers I got at the hydro shop.

420-magazine-mobile1802720427.jpg

420-magazine-mobile417232117.jpg

420-magazine-mobile904772965.jpg

Re: Juanbahama's Hydro Candyland & Skywalker Kush First Time Grow - 2017

Off topic for a sec, really enjoying the flower from Marley Naturals, their kosher kush is really nice. Maybe a bit less heavy than other kosher kushs I've smoked, almost a skywalkery sort of high ...very body high with a decent head change that lasts a long time. I wonder if that means they harvest a bit earlier than the others? I think this stuff is outdoor too. I swear really well grown/cured sun-grown flowers have something to them that indoor doesnt. Like the cannabinoid profile is different or something.

420-magazine-mobile430042873.jpg

Dealing with mold again this morning. Noticed that the white stuff was also on the hydroton and net pots. The SNS 244 seemed to work well where I sprayed it earlier with no ill effects, so I sprayed some more of it, this time lifting out each plant and trying to really cover all of it. I let each plant drip a little before putting them back in, then covered that back up with the covers. Next time, I will start the grow with every grow site covered to keep this mold thing away.

Looks like pH issues, new growth looks good so I'm not too worried but just in case, took all the water out, ph'ed it to about 5.2 and put it back in

420-magazine-mobile1068980631.jpg

420-magazine-mobile626197273.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1778820531.jpg

That looks like a Cal/Mg deficiency to me.

What was your previous ph?
What are you using for water?
What is the base ppm of your water?
Are you using Ca/Mg of some kind?

Yeah have been using calmag from the start, water is usually around 5.8 when I make it, but I do remember it spiking a while back mid week.

Using RO water hauled from a local water store, around 0-5 ppms, 6.2-6.5 pH

I read somewhere that the plants want to be around 5.2 in hydro and won't take up certain nutrients above that so I'm going to be using ph down to bring it closer to that level.

5.8 is ideal for hydro ph. 5.2 is way to low.

What is your ppm's after you add the cal/mg?

interesting, seems like a hot subject out there. damn, wish i could remember where i read that. anyway googling returns a bunch of threads where people seem to be debating this exact thing. 5.2 or 5.8? well, i know ive been at around 5.8 for the whole grow (with the exception of it spiking mid week a while back). the 6.2 water i get gets down to 5.8 after adding calmag/nutes/etc. hadnt been using ph up or down at all. still, on a couple plants had these issues that look a lot like this:

pH Fluctuations | Grow Weed Easy

i dont recall what ppms were right after adding calmag, i put that in first before adding nutes/hydroguard. the last time i did a change was friday, and currently the solution is about 400 ppms with everything in it. ill definitely take a reading after the calmag next time and report where its at. ive just been going with the suggestion of 5ml per gallon, so 25ml per 5 gal tub. i should verify to make sure its below 100 ppms after i add it, havent done that.

it seems to be mostly affecting the skywalker kush. the candyland plants seem largely unaffected. could it just be a strain specific thing? could it be a minor issue exacerbated by just having mainlined them? is this an old issue im chasing down for no reason since this is all on older third node and all growth above that looks good?

Different strains have different tolerances to nutes so not surprising it has affected one and not the other.

My system is 21 gallons and I use 35ml of Ca/Mg total. It raises the ppm's by about 130.

Don't sweat it to much just yet, they all pretty much start out like that. If it grows 2 hairs out the top its female, if it continues to grow more nodes then...well you know. Another 5-6 days will tell the story.

Don't sweat it to much just yet, they all pretty much start out like that. If it grows 2 hairs out the top its female, if it continues to grow more nodes then...well you know. Another 5-6 days will tell the story.

thanks scrogdawg, fingers crossed. by next week ill know one way or another... the clones force flowering, phylos sex test, or preflowers

Back
Top Bottom