Jurassic Park fan leaves

GIjose

Just a quick question on what you guys think about removing huge fan leaves that are blocking the smaller lower fan leaves. Should less larger fan leaves versus more smaller fan leaves ? What are your thoughts?
20200102_120121.jpg
0_20200108_154106.jpg

I personally remove ones that are blocking lower nodes and growing tips. It’s a debatable topic as many are against it. I defoliate as well in flower mainly lower stuff and thinning out the canopy as well. Do what you feel works for you I have success doing things my way that’s not to say that the guy who doesn’t defoliate isn’t having success.

Why would you do that? I wouldn’t remove any leafs until flower... and even then, don’t remove any leafs unless they’re blocking bud sites. Lol!
If/when the plant has a micro nutrient deficiency, it will cannibalize the leafs for those missing nutrients. That’s why you typically see “fall colors” in late flower.
In veg, those are the solar panels for your plant. If you defol, do it a week or two before you flip. Other than that, leaf them be.

Why would you do that? I wouldn’t remove any leafs until flower... and even then, don’t remove any leafs unless they’re blocking bud sites. Lol!
If/when the plant has a micro nutrient deficiency, it will cannibalize the leafs for those missing nutrients. That’s why you typically see “fall colors” in late flower.
In veg, those are the solar panels for your plant. If you defol, do it a week or two before you flip. Other than that, leaf them be.
Its debatable not saying your wrong or right but I remove leaves all the time and my plants are always happy and yield well.

Its debatable not saying your wrong or right but I remove leaves all the time and my plants are always happy and yield well.
In veg I just look at it from a surface area perspective. Regardless of which leaf gets light, in veg they work as one for the plant, converting light energy into “sugars” or plant energy. I would never recommend trimming main fans in veg. Maybe smaller undergrowth for air flow, but never the mains.
Those are your plants solar main panels, converting energy into usable nutrients. Save them... they store immediate usable micro nutrients for the plant for the times your pH is off, or your not quite heavy enough on either N-P-K.
It shouldn’t be a debate, it’s common sense. Lol!

In veg I just look at it from a surface area perspective. Regardless of which leaf gets light, in veg they work as one for the plant, converting light energy into “sugars” or plant energy. I would never recommend trimming main fans in veg. Maybe smaller undergrowth for air flow, but never the mains.
Those are your plants solar main panels, converting energy into usable nutrients. Save them... they store immediate usable micro nutrients for the plant for the times your pH is off, or your not quite heavy enough on either N-P-K.
It shouldn’t be a debate, it’s common sense. Lol!
You do you and I will keep doing what I have been doing with great results. Not knocking the way you view things. There’s many other variables to growing than meets the eye.

You do you and I will keep doing what I have been doing with great results. Not knocking the way you view things. There’s many other variables to growing than meets the eye.
I hear ya brother. More than one way to skin a cat.

Well the main reason i was asking is that my girls were getting pretty cramped. Even with fans going some of the leaves were not moving enough. So i was combating moisture between the plant leaves.
20200102_120019.jpg
20200102_120019.jpg

They’ll be fine. Picture how jungles grow. In Veg, it’s not a big deal. Airflow is important.

Well the main reason i was asking is that my girls were getting pretty cramped. Even with fans going some of the leaves were not moving enough. So i was combating moisture between the plant leaves.
20200102_120019.jpg
20200102_120019.jpg
You need a fan to blow at the bottom of the leafs.

Six plants can get big fast.

Don’t trim the OG fans... just sayin.

You can also use a technique called ponytailing to pull those top big leaves up out of the way. It's a little more work needs to be done each day and removed over night. The advantage is you get the lower nodes exposed to light without having to sacrifice those big fan leaves that are really important for rapid growth and come in handy later on in flower.

Do what you feel is right for your space and environment.

I defoliated this throughout veg. Then again at 21 days flower and 42 days flower. This was from a grow journal I did on here in 2012 I believe. Bubba og

BF24F697-0986-4ADF-9CE7-1B5344F6C910.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom