Just a quick question

tonythc

I dried my harvest for 5 days and put it into mason jars which I have been burping twice a day.It has been in jars for around 2 weeks so I took a bud out and cut some up to roll a joint.Every cut the weed just stuck together I tried to crumble some up between my fingers and it was just too sticky.I started checking the stems again and they were bending and not cracking.Could it still be wet?:nomo:

Possibly you are used to bone dry bud? LOL. I use 62% Boveda packs to cure and hold mine at that humidity. When I get a few buds out to grind they always feel too damp to me. Sticky enough you can squeeze it between your fingers and make a hard ball from it after its ground up. So.....you may be at a good holding humidity. The only way to be sure is to get a hygrometer and check.

It smoked good in a pipe but it was a no go in paper.It could possibly be at a good holding humidity like you say but then again I like my buds to be a bit drier.So,,,,,,if I throw in a boveda pack it will be all good?

The Boveda will help take rh up or down, without being there to actually eyeball it, I'd have to say use your own judgement if you don't have a hygrometer. You really should get a few. Small, inexpensive, and you can drop them right in your jars.

Sounds like it might be a bit wet. I dried mine for about 6/7 days and I think I went too long for my buds. I like them a little squishier than they are now. They don't crumble and my crummy hygrometer says they're at about 60%.

I've heard many speak of Boveda packs and I'm tempted to try them. However, I have read that they're good at maintaining RH and in some cases putting moisture back into to over dry bud, but they not so good at lowering humidity. Just what I've heard.:Namaste:

Might be time to pick up a few hygrometers.In the meantime gonna lay it all out on some screen today and keep checking in to see how it looks and feels.When it was put in jars you could see a difference about a week later in the color of the bud it had gotten darker and the crystals were more prominent.It still has that slight smell of hay.

Yeah def get a meter. It takes all the guess work out of it. My staggered harvest, first is good to go at 59%, the other is stable and curing at 62% and the last I'm still burping out the eccess daily as the rh creeps to 67%.

This is what I use, from some NL site.

70%+ wet, hang or lay out
65-70 wet, burp it out 1-2hrs day
60-65 cure
55-60 cure & ok for long term storage
<55% - weed has overdried and will no longer cure. You can reconstitute crumbly bud but it will not age.

I'm curing in gallon jars since it's still so wet. The extra room in the jar allows for more moisture exchange so it dries a bit faster. The 10$ meters fit in the jars and work fine. If I need to cure in smaller jars, then I'd get some of the 20$ meters for cigars. For me, bud consistency fell far behind realizing I could loose a whole crop to mold from improper cure/storage. Go buy a meter.

I ordered 3 hygrometers for less than 5 bucks each last night.Got to look into the boveda packs now.Thanks for all the good advice!:thumb:

I ordered 3 hygrometers for less than 5 bucks each last night.Got to look into the boveda packs now.Thanks for all the good advice!:thumb:

Let me whet your whistle for something else too. Look up cVault. Love mine for long term storage. Heavy-duty, light and air tight, with a slot in the lid for the Boveda packs. :)

Got my hygrometers in the mail today.popped in a battery and dropped them in the gallon jars.Went back and checked 2 hours later and it was 72 degrees with 59 percent humidity.Cant believe it took this long to try them ! Very impressed:allgood::tokin:

I leave drying upside down on a hanger in a dark place till the small stems will almost snap and it takes 10 to 15 days then plastic tub with hygrometer when close to 55% jar it up with the afore mentioned " I use 62% Boveda packs " me to. Let the moisture move evenly thru out the bud's. The moisture will move from the dense inside to a uniform 62%. It will not smell like the back forty then. I age for a min of 90 days and have some over a year old men do things slowly for the young 60 days will work and will smoke better.

whew...ugh...

:lot-o-toke:

:nomo:

2 weeks before mason jars. This can be extended if you are doing a very humid dry.

I think there is an entire forum on drying with many stickys

The first most common thing people do wrong is over water. The second is a quick cure.

we need an emojy for patients.

:Namaste:

Sorry I ruined 2 lbs of premium dank back in '02 because I had to move out of the house I was growing in and had to bag it up and didn't understand the curing process. Before that I just dried it and smoked it.

So it is a touchy subject for me.

Just a quick update on the hygrometers and cureing process.The meters have been resting nicely in there new home for a little while.

So nice to just take a quick glance and all is well.

For any new growers like myself the hygrometers are the way to go if you second guess yourself alot.

They really take the guesswork out of the process.

As for the hay smell I spoke of earlier in this post its gone! Getting a hint of fruity smell now.

The smoke is much smoother and the potency is sooo much better compared to 3 weeks ago!:allgood:

Also the buds have gotten darker.

Just a quick update on the hygrometers and cureing process.The meters have been resting nicely in there new home for a little while.

So nice to just take a quick glance and all is well.

For any new growers like myself the hygrometers are the way to go if you second guess yourself alot.

They really take the guesswork out of the process.

As for the hay smell I spoke of earlier in this post its gone! Getting a hint of fruity smell now.

The smoke is much smoother and the potency is sooo much better compared to 3 weeks ago!:allgood:

Also the buds have gotten darker.

That's really great to hear! Thanks for coming back and leaving your feedback -- +reps for you :)

Back
Top Bottom