Just getting my feet wet

Ramblinrose1965

Good evening all, hope everyone had a great day.

Just starting out .....getting my feet wet with an over sized space bucket grow with budget lights. Shes a Northern Lights variety and seems to be doing ok so far thanks to the great forums here at 420. I have been lurking here for a while and finally got a chance to say High. Stay smoky my friends.

Peace

Screenshot_20221214-183508_Gallery.jpg

Welcome to the community!

Your medium looks a little dry, what are you growing in? Also looks like a little serration possibly.. you using calmag? What temp and rh are you running at? Sorry for all the questions 🤣

If you get a chance and are interested you should start a journal.. It’s a great place to get quick help, tips, and great convo about your grow.

Welcome to the community!

Your medium looks a little dry, what are you growing in? Also looks like a little serration possibly.. you using calmag? What temp and rh are you running at? Sorry for all the questions 🤣
Hi Keffka,

Foxfarms ocean forest with 20% perlite. I have been giving Petunia 50% of the recommended dose of bushdoctor every other watering. No nutes yet. Water is ph'd to 6.2 every watering. RH is about 50% and lights on temp is 74 and lights out is about 68.
Any help would be great.

Thank you!

Hi Keffka,

Foxfarms ocean forest with 20% perlite. I have been giving Petunia 50% of the recommended dose of bushdoctor every other watering. No nutes yet. Water is ph'd to 6.2 every watering. RH is about 50% and lights on temp is 74 and lights out is about 68.
Any help would be great.

Thank you!
Your rh is a bit low for your veg stage.. This is driving a high rate of transpiration in your plant which is making it pull in water faster. At 74 you’re gonna wanna be at 60 rh at least.. more around 64ish.. This isn’t the end of the world but since you’re using your nutrients at half strength she’s beginning to have some problems. I would recommend increasing your nutrients to meet the manufacturers recommendations and try to increase your RH a bit.

Here’s a chart to help you dial in your VPD.. VPD is calculated using your temperature and rh.. you can see as the plant ages you go from humid to less humid. If you can’t adjust your VPD (this can be adjusted through temps, fans, humidifiers) then you’ll need to make sure you’re keeping up with the extra demand on the plant

The serrations on your leaves pointing up is exactly what happens to my plants when the VPD is off. The plant is attempting to slow its transpiration down by itself doing this. If your VPD is nailed down then you’re probably looking at a calmag issue. Mag effects photosynthesis and this is the plants way of slowing its reactions down. She’ll give you tiny little hints like that before she really starts having problems. It’s basically her trying to fix the issue herself.

75A9F57E-C3E5-40C7-B37F-0AB6CCC3BDB1.jpeg

Your rh is a bit low for your veg stage.. This is driving a high rate of transpiration in your plant which is making it pull in water faster. At 74 you’re gonna wanna be at 60 rh at least.. more around 64ish.. This isn’t the end of the world but since you’re using your nutrients at half strength she’s beginning to have some problems. I would recommend increasing your nutrients to meet the manufacturers recommendations and try to increase your RH a bit.
So use my calmag full strength everyother watering and start using the fox farm trio?

Thank you

I’m gonna tag @Emilya Green and @Krissi Carbone I believe both are familiar with the FF trio..

We’ll need to know what week of the grow you are in, and have you used any nutrients yet?
No nutes yet just calmag. And i started her from seed 6 weeks ago.

No nutes yet just calmag. And i started her from seed 6 weeks ago.

So she’s probably about 4 weeks in.. it’s time to start using nutes. I would use the calmag at the recommended rate every other watering and begin your nutrient regimen. She looks good right now but she’s gonna get hungry fast. I assume you were trying to run the nutrients out of the soil before using the liquids?

I would wait before committing to my recommendations to get confirmation from someone who has personally used FF trio, they’ll be here soon.

So she’s probably about 4 weeks in.. it’s time to start using nutes. I would use the calmag at the recommended rate every other watering and begin your nutrient regimen. She looks good right now but she’s gonna get hungry fast. I assume you were trying to run the nutrients out of the soil before using the liquids?

I would wait before committing to my recommendations to get confirmation from someone who has personally used FF trio, they’ll be here soon.
Yes, i read ocean forest is good for 4 weeks or so before nutes are needed. I had Petunia in a 16 oz solo cup with happy frog until i put her in 3 gallons of ocean forest about 3 weeks ago.

Yes, i read ocean forest is good for 4 weeks or so before nutes are needed. I had Petunia in a 16 oz solo cup with happy frog until i put her in 3 gallons of ocean forest about 3 weeks ago.
That 4 week timeframe is usually dependent on a specific pot size. To get 30 days of nutes out of my coast of maine soil I would need to use a 5 gallon minimum. So if it says 30 days in a 5 gallon, it would actually be more like 18 days of nutrients in a 3 gallon. You also cut it with perlite so that’s even less days. Does that make sense?

That 4 week timeframe is usually dependent on a specific pot size. To get 30 days of nutes out of my coast of maine soil I would need to use a 5 gallon minimum. So if it says 30 days in a 5 gallon, it would actually be more like 18 days of nutrients in a 3 gallon. Does that make sense?
Yes, it sure does. Makes perfect sense. Thanks much

Yes, it sure does. Makes perfect sense. Thanks much
You’re welcome. It’s the same exact thing I thought initially too when I first started lol.. I had figured out my grow thinking I had 30 days of nutrients in my 3 gallons of soil and almost like clockwork at 21 days I was showing deficiencies.

Hi! Welcome!! So I started my growing journey with FF! You're lady looks well but definitely big enough to be on Grow Big and Big Bloom. You can use Bush Doctor once a week starting in flower unless you see a cmag def prior in veg. Have you seen this feeding chart, im sure you have. I usually atart feeding nutrients come 2nd set of true leaves but everyone is different
Screenshot_20221214_212118.jpg

Hi! Welcome!! So I started my growing journey with FF! You're lady looks well but definitely big enough to be on Grow Big and Big Bloom. You can use Bush Doctor once a week starting in flower unless you see a cmag def prior in veg. Have you seen this feeding chart, im sure you have. I usually atart feeding nutrients come 2nd set of true leaves but everyone is different
Screenshot_20221214_212118.jpg
Hi Krissi and Thank you. Should I go at 50% or full strength at this point in my grow?

Hi Krissi and Thank you. Should I go at 50% or full strength at this point in my grow?
I see no problems with being at 100%, she looks full of life and ready to go. If you are trepidatious, by all means, a half dose won't hurt, you can always kick it up to a full dose next feed. Don't worry yourself unnecessarily, this is the fun stuff, keep it fun! Happy you have a grow journal going with us. If it helps you make a decision, I never went half on my nutes and never had a problem friend

Back
Top Bottom