Re: Ken's original GDP; Sour OG grow - 450w HPS - BP w/SSM#8

Here's that reveg.....
002914.JPG

:peace:

Flowering - Day 3
008589.JPG
009540.JPG

Here's a World of Seeds Afghan Kush Ryder (left) and a Buddha Seeds Red Dwarf (right), both under 12/12 and small (I put them in to fill up space and use up the auto freebie seeds)
010501.JPG

I had to get the heated seed starter mat out again and put it in under these because of cold root temps. I've had problems in the past few grows with this and using it helps so it should here, too. The leaves are light colored and the soil is staying wet, as if the roots are inactive from cold. It already seemed to perk them all up a little after putting it in yesterday. Temps are good so I'll see how these respond to the new light now.

PotChimp, I tried to send this PM but I just joined so I couldn't, so here it is....in the thread, maybe it can help some other people.

Hi there....sorry to bug you, but I have been anonymously lurking and watching some of your grows. I joined just to message you.

I have been growing for years using recirculating bucket hydro systems...except this past year due to boredom I just gave it up. I recently decided to get back into the "hobby" and have went soilless, SAM #4. This is how I found your posts and grow journals by searching to see who else is using it. You have done pretty damn well on your grows.

Coming from straight hydro to soil, it is a little nerve racking. I have researched like crazy on this site but I cannot find a couple key pieces of information, and since you are/have used SAM I thought I would contact you directly...

If you have time could you please give me any advice regarding SAM and answer the following couple questions. Thank you in advance!

1. How do you mix your nutes? PH first? After? PH 6.0 or something else?

2. I know you say you water 2-3 times a week, but from your experience can you give me a little advice on your watering habits? I have been watering until run out of the bottom, I am growing in 3.5 gallon buckets, still in veg right now but so far I have only had to water about once I week....it's probably just still early. I know they suck the water in flower.

SERIOUSLY, thank you SO much if you take the time to respond. Great job on your grows! They look awesome!!!

PotteryPotMan : My grows are so small that I use 1 gallon to nute them all each time I feed during veg (about 4-5 plants). I don't judge watering by continuing until it comes out of the bottom of the bags until the plants get about 2/3 as big as the container I use. Then I wait until the bags are lightweight when I go to pick them up to water or give nutes again (when you know they're pretty dry). And I wait until the leaves get a slight bit lighter green (but not nitrogen-deficient) to nute them again too. I may use a cup or two for each plant if they are the size of my hand with the fingers stretched out or smaller. When plants I grow get to the flowering stage then I usually have to start using 2 gallons each feeding for all of them. I put a small aquarium bubbler and 2 bubblestones in a small closet (so I don't have to smell bat $hit) with a gallon of reverse osmosis water, Cal-Mag, the organic nutes and about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon unsulfured molasses (for activating the microbes in the soil) and let it bubble for in between one and two days then give it to the plants.
I don't have anything to measure Ph in liquids but my soil seems to stay at 6.4 unless I nute them then it goes up to 6.8 sometimes but goes back down pretty quick. Because of cold roots my plants have not been taking up water or nutes as well, so I was down to about one watering a week until I put my heated seed starter mat under them and now it's going back to normal.
:goodluck:

Note : I fed all of the plants yesterday with Blue Planet Farmer's Pride Crazy Growth, and I'll do the Transition doses next week. It's still early, so none of them are showing signs of sex yet. I want as many seeds as I can get, so I'm going to put the best male in front of the fan when the time comes as opposed to harvesting pollen and selectively pollinating individual flowers. I'm hoping that the Connoisseur Genetics Grandaddy Purple plant I'm revegging will be big enough to take clones from by then so I can put it in here to be pollinated too. I'll post more pics soon.

Flowering - Day 11 :
001896.JPG

Two father plants to choose from so far.....
004808.JPG
005766.JPG

For now I'll assume a 50% male/female ratio, as the other two of the first planted four show no signs of sex and females tend to show later (from what I've read). The last two I planted aren't far behind.
Buddha Seeds Red Dwarf Auto
002925.JPG

World of Seeds Afghan Kush Ryder
003868.JPG

Looking good PC. :welldone: Any real noticeable difference in the males?

I'll take a closer look tonight HomeMedGrower, but at a casual glance there are no phenotypical differences. The only thing I've noticed so far is a slight difference in size and node spacing on the two plants. There seems to be a slight difference in flower appearance in the two; I'll inspect it and see but I think the one plant may be a day ahead in flower formation.

All six plants look the same with no physical variations at this point except height and size. One more looks like it will be male, but it's still hard to determine. Damn, hope I get a few Barbies and not all Kens..... :(

That Red Dwarf under the scope is almost all cloudy trichomes, so it will be getting the chop soon. I knew growing it under 12/12 that it was going to be small, but these autos are just space fillers to me. They'll smoke, and even though they're small they let me know what the strain is all about. I might like the Afghan Kush Ryder, you never know; it's been in the top ten selling seeds for a while now. Gonna be a few more weeks there, though.....

Skyrocket is all aboard. Can't wait to see how the GDP turns out.

Me too. This and Skywalker OG Kush (even though it's probably not directly from the real strain) are the two I've read a lot about and wanted to grow the most (besides Purple Erkel, which I can't get).
I checked again last night and it looks like 3 males so far. Being so small I'm not sure which one to use for the father, and I'm not well read on breeding so I better hit the books.

Me too. This and Skywalker OG Kush (even though it's probably not directly from the real strain) are the two I've read a lot about and wanted to grow the most (besides Purple Erkel, which I can't get).
I checked again last night and it looks like 3 males so far. Being so small I'm not sure which one to use for the father, and I'm not well read on breeding so I better hit the books.

That's why I wanted to get Ken's GDP in feminized but they all sold out from the attitude so I'm going to get dna's holy grail kush.

That's why I wanted to get Ken's GDP in feminized but they all sold out from the attitude so I'm going to get dna's holy grail kush.

I thought they were only regular seeds, I didn't know they had fem seeds. I want GDP's Ken's Kush it looks good.

Update : I culled one male so far because I decided on the one I'm keeping. It shot up in height overnight and has a healthy, even distribution of flowers. Three are looking more female as the days go by. I set that male in front of the fan, so the Sour OG is in a good position to be dusted when the male flowers open up. Then I :morenutes: all six remaining plants with Farmer's Pride Transition dose, Cal-Mag, RO water and molasses. I also took the Afghan Kush Ryder out because I don't want it to get pollinated. It's in with my Alaskan Thunderfuck/Super Lemon Haze/Neville's Haze grow now.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!
:420:

Back
Top Bottom