Alaskan Thunderfuck Fem - Soilless Grow

What strain is it? Sagamartha Seeds Alaskan Thunderfuck (a.k.a Matanuska Tundra; all feminised).

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid; unknown percentages.

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Seeds started today @ 10:00 A.M.

If in Veg... For how long? N/A.

If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A.

Indoor or outdoor? Indoor.

Soil or Hydro? Soilless.

What is in your mix? Sunshine Mix #8 w/ Root Magic mychorrizae.

What size pot? 3 gallon grow bags.

Size of light? Two 250 watt MH for veg; two 250 watt HPS for flowering; two 250 watt MH last 2 weeks of flowering (5 sq.' tent @ 100 watts/sq.').

Is it aircooled? 4" vent fan = 6" hardware fan (out); passive airflow (in).

Temp of Room/cab? around 80 degrees F.

RH of Room/cab? 30-35%

PH of media or res? 6.5

Any Pests ? No.

How often are you watering? 2-3 times/week.

Type and strength of nutes used? Fox Farms (full schedule); Exhale Homegrown CO2 bag, RO water w/ Cal-Mag in between feedings (veg) and molasses added (flower).

I'm germinating using the paper towel method w/ RO water on a heated seed mat. When the seeds open up, I'll plant tail downward in Miracle-Gro Seedling Starter Mix in a 4" peat pot.

:420:

Ooh, ooh, ooh..... AHH - AHH - AHH!!!!!

:peace:

Your setup sounds great, PotChimp! Looks like you've done your homework.

I was worried about the potting soil, since the regular MiracleGro is awful for marijuana. However, their potting soil has spaghnum peat moss which is good.

Post some pictures of your setup or the germination pots. Once you post some pictures, you'll get more traffic to your journal.

Your setup sounds great, PotChimp! Looks like you've done your homework.

I was worried about the potting soil, since the regular MiracleGro is awful for marijuana. However, their potting soil has spaghnum peat moss which is good.

Post some pictures of your setup or the germination pots. Once you post some pictures, you'll get more traffic to your journal.

Their starter mix is specially formulated for seeds and I've had good luck with it (it drains well). By the time the roots break through the peat pot they grow into the #8 mix, mychorrizae, and initial first feeding and take off pretty well.

I usually wait until all the seedlings are up from the soil to take pics; that should be in the next week. One popped open already, and I'm going to check the others this afternoon.

Welcome everybody and hope I don't disappoint! This is one of the legend strains to me (I'm not sure if it's the original, but I doubt it) so I'll give it my all.

Note : 100% on germination rate - 5 for 5 seeds opened. 4 have tails from 1/16" to 3/16" long and the last is opened with the tail just coming out (Kudos, two pats on the back and an "attaboy!" to Sagamartha Seeds!).

My method is to take the seed starter mix and put it in a gallon plastic food storage bag with enough RO water to moisten it a day before I think all the seeds will be opened up. I lightly pack this into 4" square peat pots when all the seeds open, then put them about 1/4" deep with the open end of the seed down. When they all have gravity figured out and pop up from the soil, I'll post pics.

Additional notes : I'm going to save my Root Magic for my next organic grow, and go with Great White Shark mychorrizae. I'm also adding a Super Lemon Haze to this grow, and I forgot to mention at the beginning of this thread that I am doing the "no mercy" 12/12 lighting schedule from beginning to end. I'll top the Super Lemon Haze at the 4th node and let the Alaskan Thunderfucks grow normally. I know I'll have to prune side branching on all these plants to fit them in this tent (5 sq.'). I'm not looking for yield per plant, but to grow a lot of plants and make up for yield that way. I don't know if 6 - 1 ounce plants is better than 2 - 3 ounce plants costwise, but I know the variety will be cool..... :tokin:

Alaskan Thunderfuck - Day 5 from seed :
001840.JPG

As soon as they get big enough I'll put them into 3 gallon grow bags and water them in with RO water, Cal-Mag, and Great White Shark mychorrizae. The SLH fem I planted to go with this grow hasn't opened up yet; I'm using the same peat pot, only a mixture of 1/2 Sunshine Mix #8 and 1/2 Miracle-Gro Seed Starter Mix when it opens up (no reason for mixing grow mediums, just experimenting).

Alaskan Thunderfuck - Week 1, day 1 :
001847.JPG

Super Lemon Haze, just shaking off the dirt.....
002871.JPG

I've been having really good luck with germ rates lately and I have a 6" inline fan on the way here to have better temp control with the MH bulbs in, so I'm hoping to have better luck from here on out.

I moved the lights up on these plants to about 18" above; the small pots dry out quick and I don't plan on putting them in grow bags until at least Monday (maybe later). I'm looking forward to the experience of running an Indica at 12/12 from seed to get an idea of growth rate and end size, so I know how many plants I can do per grow.
I watered the plants with RO water (no additives yet). I've had to water every day and I'll give them week 3 of Fox Farms w/Great White Shark mychorrizae when I put them into the 3 gallon bags. There hasn't been any change in appearance with the seedlings but maybe I'll post pics today or tomorrow anyway.

Alaskan Thunderfuck - 2 weeks, 5 days from seed :
002880.JPG

The two in back (top of the pic) got wilted from overdried pots a little, but the less wilted one should come out okay. I flick the seed shell off of the cotylendons with my finger sometimes after the seedling first comes up, but this time I tore one of the cotylendons in half when I did it. That's the more wilted plant and it may not make it. It has a shrunken brown space on the main stem I believe came from the overdried condition (I did this with the first SLH I tried). It also could have came from putting soil around the base of the main stem to improve stability and promote root growth on the upper main stem too soon and causing rot.
By the way, that's the SLH in the middle and it's off to a good start.

Temps - 77.9 degrees F
Rh - 31-34%
Ph - 6.4

Back
Top Bottom