KJ's T5/CFL 1st Time Grow

... LET THERE BE LIGHT ...

FedEx came by, got the replacement ballast, and IT WORKS :D

Now I'm going to let it run a while and then I'll reconfigure the lights and have to figure out the amp usage. Probably need another timer.

I wish these timers fit better in the outlets so you could have more than one in a standard wall outlet, but I'll just run another outlet, probably going to need it anyways.

... LET THERE BE LIGHT ...

FedEx came by, got the replacement ballast, and IT WORKS :D

Now I'm going to let it run a while and then I'll reconfigure the lights and have to figure out the amp usage. Probably need another timer.

I wish these timers fit better in the outlets so you could have more than one in a standard wall outlet, but I'll just run another outlet, probably going to need it anyways.

Or use a gfi powerstrip...I'm happy you got your light bro!

Update: got the new HPS light setup and working. I haven't hooked up any vents to it, I might need some more clamps.

I moved the taller plants to the outside rows and the shorter ones to the middle so that I can get closer in.

I'm going to have to fab something up to get the old lights to work on the sides. I'm also looking to mount some 2x4's on the ceiling, if I keep drilling holes in the joists, I'm not going t have any joists left.

I wonder if anyone makes a movable mounting system, kinda like adjustable shelves where you can move them around without drilling holes each time.

116_2221.JPG
116_2223.JPG
116_2225.JPG
116_2233.JPG

And here's the clones, pretty much all of them look happy :D

116_2228.JPG
116_2229.JPG
116_2230.JPG
116_2231.JPG

Two things I noticed:
1. No floating light 'shelf' to sit my temp gauges on.
2. Easy access to the plants, I can really SEE them now that the lights are out of the way.

I'm about 18" from the closest plant, is that pretty much where I should be?

What Me thinks karl, is that you're a natural, the light height looks good, but you need to know the temp at the canopy. My little hygrometers have magnets on the back. When I do taller plants I put thumbtacks in the wall and my hygrometer sticks to them. Your rig is lookin great, a step forward in your grow for sure, and at just the right time. Congrats and + reps for you my freind. If I ran a thin metal strip down the wall, Id have an adjustable standard for mine. I got em at wallyworld. Your cuts look lovely!

Thanks!
I'm not concerned about the coverage as well as temps. I'd hate to screw up on temps at this point. As far as coverage goes, I think I'll get order another 600W system. The next concern is how far can I push the electrical system. I think I might be close to my limit right now.

I'm going to take a few more pics because I think I've actually got flowering and I want to confirm that it's female flowering.

Also, one other advantage with this light system is that when it's that far up, I can see when I need to raise the light. With the ultra close T5/T8s it's you have to get in there to see when you need to raise the lights.

Ok, so this looks like female flowering to me. I haven't inspected every plant, this is just a few of them, but from what I know [ not a lot] this would be proof of a female plant?

I'll do a full check later and look for ball sacks, I guess it's a non-stop process of checking for hermies, but at least I think this is a solid sign of female plants.

116_2239.JPG
116_2238.JPG
116_2237.JPG
116_2236.JPG
116_2235.JPG
116_2234.JPG

Ok, so this looks like female flowering to me. I haven't inspected every plant, this is just a few of them, but from what I know [ not a lot] this would be proof of a female plant?

I'll do a full check later and look for ball sacks, I guess it's a non-stop process of checking for hermies, but at least I think this is a solid sign of female plants.

116_2239.JPG
116_2238.JPG
116_2237.JPG
116_2236.JPG
116_2235.JPG
116_2234.JPG

Stinky girl....mmmmmmmm! If you're not interested in selective breeding or havin a few seeds, the hermies don't hurt, but if you're breeding you don't want a genetic hermie in your program, but if you flashed your plants, or stressed it into hermie....that's good brreding stock! A hermie is gonna put out the same little male lookin balls, only they come in singles.

So hermies still product usable bud of about the same quality?

A female plant will naturally hermie as a last ditch effort to reproduce.....sometimes, especially if it's grown longer, and more often when grown outside. The plant does it so late in its life cycle it's doubtful any viable seeds will result. The resulting " hermie " buds are absolutely as potent and no loss in volume....because it happens so late in the plants life cycle.

A female plant will naturally hermie as a last ditch effort to reproduce.....sometimes, especially if it's grown longer, and more often when grown outside. The plant does it so late in its life cycle it's doubtful any viable seeds will result. The resulting " hermie " buds are absolutely as potent and no loss in volume....because it happens so late in the plants life cycle.

wow, kinda strange. Glad you told me that, I might have freaked out at the end. I probably need to relax a bit, more cold beer, less worries...

Took a day off from the plants to buy myself a Beautiful Sexy Naked Lady!

Not exactly on topic, but who can resist a Beautiful Sexy Naked Lady?
116_2241.JPG

Just got back from buying this 'new to me' 06 Honda 919.

Ok, back on topic, buds are almost TWICE and thick as they were! I spot checked them all, and found no sign of hermie, and all are in flowering! One of them looks to have twice the bud it had from the last picture taking session.

[sorry if we are not allowed off-topic pics]

Thanks! I'll take some more plant pics soon!

I still have some paper work and what-not to do on the bike, new battery and fluids, but with gas prices [also seen in the pic], I'll be riding the bike more than the cars!

I wonder of the plants will get jealous of the bike, you know how women can get :yikes:

I didn't get much of a chance to inspect the plants before lights off, but I did notice more hairs and larger buds as well as no damage from the light being too close.

Ok, back to work! Water - no nutes, just CaliMagic. They are about chest height, Clones are looking good, about 6~7" for the tallest. They've been in soil for about 1 week now and I've added 2 more CFLs.

I have the 2 300W CFLs over the top of the primary grow and I'm using the 16 100W CFLs for the side. I haven't built the upright light holder yet, need a few brackets to make it fold-able.

I'm hoping the CaliMagic takes care of the leaf problems, although I haven't seen more, I haven't done a full check.
No sign of major problems, growth seems to be fully underway. In just about 2 days, the bud sites have started to thicken up and many more hairs along with no sign of hermie.

Here's the clones/teens, they are growing along just fine. One got a burn when the light fell at the start.

116_2254.JPG

Here's the general grow area, again, need the side lights setup, the front row isn't getting the light I would like. Probably should order the 2nd 600W HPS, given how long the other one took :D

116_2270.JPG
116_2262.JPG
116_2261.JPG

And some of the bud sites, clearly more hairs and thickening up.

116_2250.JPG
116_2251.JPG
116_2252.JPG
116_2258.JPG

The pics are under the HPS light, so it's a bit harder to see the true colors, but you should be able to get the idea, they are growing !

Back
Top Bottom