KJ's T5/CFL 1st Time Grow

You ride it yet karl?
No, I was involved in a head on accident 3 years ago, and just now getting the ins $$. Not huge $$ but enough to dump the old bike and get this one. Once the check is here, I can pay my friend for fronting 1/2 the $. Still got DMV and INS to deal with. The bike need at least a new battery and fluid change. It sat for years, so needs a good scan over.

I hope by next month to be fully on the road.

I rode my Nighthawk 700S more than my car, rode EVERYWHERE on that thing! Last season, it dropped a valve, I rebuilt the engine, it got an oil leak in the head where you can't have a leak without a crack.

So I actually haven't rode a bike in almost a year now.

This one has 100+ HP and 1/4 mile in the 10's ... the 700S was 1/4 mile in the very high 11's so there's a big power difference.

This is going to be my 1st REAL muscle bike, adjustable forks, short travel single rear shock, radial tire (700S has bias ply), EFI, chain vs shaft... it's going to be different. I'm going to take it slow for a while, I'm not a young man any more :D

No, I was involved in a head on accident 3 years ago, and just now getting the ins $$. Not huge $$ but enough to dump the old bike and get this one. Once the check is here, I can pay my friend for fronting 1/2 the $. Still got DMV and INS to deal with. The bike need at least a new battery and fluid change. It sat for years, so needs a good scan over.

I hope by next month to be fully on the road.

I rode my Nighthawk 700S more than my car, rode EVERYWHERE on that thing! Last season, it dropped a valve, I rebuilt the engine, it got an oil leak in the head where you can't have a leak without a crack.

So I actually haven't rode a bike in almost a year now.

This one has 100+ HP and 1/4 mile in the 10's ... the 700S was 1/4 mile in the very high 11's so there's a big power difference.

This is going to be my 1st REAL muscle bike, adjustable forks, short travel single rear shock, radial tire (700S has bias ply), EFI, chain vs shaft... it's going to be different. I'm going to take it slow for a while, I'm not a young man any more :D

Right on karl, I'm glad to hear you're not a beginner, they scare the shit out of me and I worry about em just knowin they have a bike..LOL...I have a young un that wants to ride when he gets out of the service, if I can't talk him out of it, I'll have to help him. Ya, we should slow down a bit when we get older.....but I still can't resist roastin the back tire on my road king...gotta give the boys somethin ta keep em excited...LOL

I was talking to an old friend that rides too, he commented that it was too much bike for him and that he has a bunch of fun on an old 500 honda. I replied that I'm probably never the fastest rider, I go at a speed that I can handle, which is aggressive but not stupid, but I have a BLAST doing it.

It's also a freedom thing, the fact that I can fill up for $20 or less and get somewhere close to 40mpg. That's freedom to go out and do things without going broke.

I used to ride up the hill for 2 or 3 hours, just to get a cheese burger! The cheese burger was the same as the ones in town... That to me is what freedom feels like!

I was talking to an old friend that rides too, he commented that it was too much bike for him and that he has a bunch of fun on an old 500 honda. I replied that I'm probably never the fastest rider, I go at a speed that I can handle, which is aggressive but not stupid, but I have a BLAST doing it.

It's also a freedom thing, the fact that I can fill up for $20 or less and get somewhere close to 40mpg. That's freedom to go out and do things without going broke.

I used to ride up the hill for 2 or 3 hours, just to get a cheese burger! The cheese burger was the same as the ones in town... That to me is what freedom feels like!

We rode those hondas til the cows came home, the first big bike I ever rode was a k model 750, I was in the 8th grade and man I was the shit! I didnt even get to push a harley til I was 22. Does your female ride karl? Mine won't be denied, and the back of my seat is hers! I rode 70s, 90s, 160 scramblers, 350s, 750s, not to count the dirt machines. Broke my leg into 300 peices on a cr125....LOL!

I got rid of 'my female', issues about truth, loyalty, and values. It's not so easy to find someone with the same kind of goals and can actually tell the truth. I think it's awesome when someone else finds that, but I see so many crushed people because of a bad relationship (including me) that it make a person 'gun shy' after a while. If you got bit by dogs 100 times in a row, you tend to think twice ... Not giving up mind you :D

I find the 'light and nimble' bikes most favorable, might give a cruiser a try some day, but I have a blast on the light standards :D

I love how this site brings people togther. (Sounds corny but true) lol
Yea, the internet/ forums, etc... have made kind of a modern version of the old shopping mall. My background is in business and there are several studies about people and what the do. It used to be that the 2nd most likely place to find someone was at a shopping mall. Shopping malls started becoming a 'hang out' place with food, entertainment, etc...

Now, people spend so much time online, the most common place for people is online. It's not quite the same as hanging out, but it does have a lot in common with it.

One upside to online, is that you don't have to look for a parking spot :D

Well, this might have backfired. You all know about the trouble I had getting the HPS light going. Well, after reading about light coverage vs sq ft / wattage ... I went back to Amazon to order a second 600W setup.

I was going to buy again from Low Baller (not really much of his fault for the problems, just some QA issues). The have them listed in NOT AVAILABLE! ... I don't know how long this'll last, but I might order from someone else, the price is almost the same, kinda want a matching set.

I'm seeing much better growth from the center plants and I really want to spread them out.

I also have an idea about the tubes, I'd like to be able to rotate them so I can come in at an angle instead of just straight down.

Kinda like putting two tubes past the outer rows and point them towards the center row so that there is more direct light on the sides. If the plants are set up right, this could workout really good.

O---------------------O <-Lights pointing in towards the center

------X-----X-----X <-Plants staggered so the sides get direct light.
---X-----X-----X
------X-----X-----X

I haven't seen anyone doing this, but it looks like it could work well. Rotate the plants every so often, and should have good outcome.

Update: I just got the 'replacement' cool tube today, opened it and it's the larger version like the one I'm using now. I sent and email saying I found the problem with the cheap cool tube along with a pic, they sent replied they know of the problem and I should discard the tube... I wonder if that means that I can keep one of the tube, say I was confused and send back the bad one? :D

Ok, so back to the grow. Here's some pics of a plant that was on the other side of the grow away from any lights, so it's NOT from physical light burn. You can kinda see the damage (pics aren't great) but a few show the leaf is having trouble. I found this after I moved a few plants around to give the taller outside plants some better light.

Again, NO CFLs anywhere near this plant, and it was actually pretty far from the HPS, most all the plants where closer.

116_2281.JPG
116_2282.JPG

If you look close, you'll see that this one looks just like the early stages of the other really bad one from the other plant a few days back. And once again, nowhere close to a CFL, no lights but HPS and CFL up top and front side. Someone has to have seen something like this before.

116_2284.JPG

This one shows the brown spots on the leaf, color doesn't show true with this light, but no pattern showing, just random spots.

116_2285.JPG
116_2287.JPG

This is the plant overall, and you can kinda tell it's not really bad at all, just a 1/2 dozen leaves that are having issues. They did seem to be on one side, maybe this has something to do with not getting enough direct light.

116_2291.JPG

Here's one of the better forming buds, it's a taller plant that happened to be closer to the light, this is what makes me want to get a 2nd HPS going soon.

116_2292.JPG

BTW, the bud pic if from a different plant.

When looking at the troubleshooting pics, I see the Zinc Def might be the closest. Maybe there's a place where you can find more unusual problems documented.

Last water was PH'd and CaliMagic 80% strength, no nutes. Is there a chance this is nute burn? Watering has be till I get some run off on most, but not all. I can see moisture marks when I move the plants, so I don't think under watering is an issue.

Just check the calendar, I'm 8 weeks in on some and will be fully 8 weeks in a few days.

The flowering stage started 2 weeks ago.

I was just thinking about all those clones. Soon those clones are going to need a larger pot, and not only do I not have 25 1 gallon pots, I don't think that clone closet will support 25 1 gallon pots!

The real problem isn't the space, it's the light cycle. I'll probably be in flowering for something close to 6 more weeks, the clones will be near ready for flowering by that time and if they are anything like the size of these flowering plants, that's going to be HUGE! I've got 11 plants in flower, 25 in veg/teen/clone/whatever... That means when I get those to size, I'll have about 2.5X the space need that I had just a 2 weeks ago!

I really don't see how that'll work in that room! Not to mention the flowering plants will probably be another 2' before harvest!

Dohhhhhhh! Dam, I really wanted to put down new flooring in the other rooms and wanted the grow to be contained in this room.

Ok, so I got the shed. Setup already with elec, 6" of insulation and a 4X6 area. The problem is that I have no water supply IN the shed, so now, I'm going to have to transfer 5 to 7 gallons or more of water every few days. Not to mention the A/C is going to be needed pretty soon too, the inside room is well vented, the shed is really closed up.

Might be time to get started on a full green house. I was thinking about one behind the shed, something in the 12X10 range, with all glass on the top.

Nobody! come on, someone has a link somewhere that can help with these leaves.

Ok, so Mr Dumb Luck was on my side again...

The clones are growing pretty fast, it's clear I have to do something quick. I walked by my 1st growing shelf system, the Gorilla adjustable shelves. Grabbed the tape measure and they are 34" wide, the clone closet is 36" wide!

All I have to do is put the shelves in the closet and cut a plywood shelf to fit on top of the shelf (cut holes for the uprights if needed). Then I'll have an adjustable shelf system inside the clone closet. 1/2 the plants on the top, 1/2 the plants on the top. Then I can get cheap grow bags that's fit about 12 per shelf. Maybe 12 1 gallon bags will fit. It's about 26x36 = 936 sq inches, that's 78 sq inches per plant. Or about 8"x 8" each. Should work for the footprint part, the height will end up about 2' once you count the lights.

One other note:

I mentioned about the light system not being for sale anymore on Amazon. Probably should have ordered sooner. I was thinking I could call Apollo and ask them to sell me 1 600W ballast setup with bulbs near the price I paid for the prior one. I already have the cool tube shipped to me.

The cool tubes sell for around $50+ The timers run about $12. The ballasts are about $120~150 The bulbs are in the $25/30 range. So it was really a pretty good deal for $160 for a complete system.

So I'll probably give them a call direct, heck maybe they'll even give me a discount. I do still have both the bad ballasts.

On ballast has a blow fuse, I might be able to replace that fuse, test it, if it works, ask them for a discount on it!

Back
Top Bottom