Jdubs 3 Part - T5 CFL Grow

Re: Jdubs BPN 3 part, T5 Cfl grow

So ive been readin around about drying and curing and would like to ask some opinions about a few things...

When harvesting cut whole plant or branches?
Cut off large fan leaves When harvesting or let dry then do whole trim at once?
And paper bag or not to paper bag?
I' know what I'm gunna do already, cut whole plants, trim big fans during harvest, then air dry 3-4days then into jars..

Hey, you asked about what to look for in your trichomes:
What are Trichomes? Trichome 101

I also thought you might like this information on drying/curing:

What is the best way to dry and preserve the cure for smooth, sweet buds?

How Can I Tell When My Buds Are Dry Enough To be Cured?

Use this as a guide as to what to look for. For the curing, our editor posted this, written by GreenMan and is fairly easy to follow.
How To Cure Your Marijuana Crop

Hey friend,

Just wait more, since you said they looked clear and youʻre still early on just wait it will be well worth it (believe me i know how hard that is, iʻve cut bottom branches and dried them out just to smoke since i couldnʻt wait)

As far as cutting, drying and curing i will share what i do that seems to work for me.

As plant gets close to harvest, week of, i cut and trim all the main big leaves that i can reasonably trim off while plant is still in pot, and stop watering (exact timing you have to choose by looking and knowing your plant)

after i cut whole plant at base, finish trim and put in a nice cool place with decent (not too much not too little) ventilation. Ideally dry until you feel bud becoming dry and stem either snaps or is stiff to bend (yet doesnʻt snap) put in a bag/glass jar for half a day or so then return to dry another day, and continue until bud moisture from within has come out enough not to rot bud when stored (again trial and error). Once bud is dry enough to store i store in a mason jar with the vacuum sealer attachment to vacuum seal mason jar and just store in a cool place, leave it a lone and smoke something else because when you let it cure just right the smoke is unbelievable rather than rushing this to smoke faster.

Just what i do, paper bag was funny brought back memories of going surfing with some fresh bud, brown paper bag and bud inside on the dashboard in the sun hoping it would dry fast enough to take a hit before paddling out. good luck with what ever you do, plants look great.:welldone::Namaste:

looking great man, real nice pics and i love the one of the sunset. It is looking good, i would let it go a bit longer for sure. have u checked ur trichromes to see about the color yet? looks like almost 50% hairs turned. i would keep a eye on it few times daily and check those nugs closely. looking great

Ya. ive been watchin them closely.. its just now week 6 I've determined, after careful study of the calender...lol... They're all clear as day still on every plant.. and there seems to be new hairs sprouting up every day...

hey brother, just want to add a bit about curing and stuff.
When i cure what i like to do is first thing while in the room is cut off a branch, then take off all big leaves into a box on floor or something to catch them. I even clip around some of the bigger leaves coming out of nugs if they dont have crystals, usually the tips only and very fast. dont spend too much time there, just mainly trying to get off the junk u dont want in ur oil or hash. Repeat till u fill a hanger. At my house i will have a few ppl trimming for sure so i will just bring it out and have it worked on, I ALWAYS TRIM WET. It is better IMO because the crystals are still wet and stuck more to the plant rather than later when the plant is dry when they will fall off easier. Also because the plant has more water the leaves curl less if u trim immediately. less chance of them curling up around nugs and u shaking/breaking them off trimming. I will repeat this till all is cut down. Next i leave them in a cool dark room for upwards of 7-10 days depending on how big checking daily for mold or batritus. Once most of the moisture is gone, pretty much a feint snap of twig, i start to cut them off the branches and into a paper bag where they stay for a few days to cure even more. I daily check the bags and fluff them slowly to ensure they are drying evenly. After that it is time to jar them up, make sure that u burp the jars atleast 2x daily for a hour at a time to let out rest of moisture. this allows rest of moisture to leave the nug and enter the stem and cure properly. This always works for me and works well cause there are always smaller nugs and larger ones so they work together to cure evenly. the smaller ones take moisture slowly from the larger ones and it works out really well. I hope this helps u out, i truly believe it will work magic for u and release that OHHH SOOOO GOOD SMELL AND TASTE. I let my herb cure for around a month to get the best taste and burn. Of course some gets smoked before that but around a month is when the true taste comes out and u really get to start to enjoy the fruits of ur labor. =):Namaste:

Morning everyone... I was going to post some pics today, but they seem like they haven't really done anything this last week... I have a grower buddy that said they stall for a week or so then take off again? I'll post pics on Sunday... Curing the one plant I cut down already.. rough estimite 7-13 g, that was my smallest one and it looks like it was 2-3 weeks early.. I'm going to try to go until the end of the month... So 2 more weeks... Then final harvest:peace:

Ah.. fuck it... Lol...
Gush
IMAG04834.jpg

Kryptonite
IMAG04823.jpg

IMAG04813.jpg

IMAG04804.jpg

Although hairs have turned brown, none are receding, and new ones POP up every day, trics clear, just starting to barely turn cloudy

Wheeeee lookin good, Can't wait till mine get there.
Well I can wait,have to wait,don't wanna wait but gonna wait.
I digress.........

I feel ya..lol, I'm getting impatient, but don't wanna f:Namaste: it up now..

I' know what I'm gunna do already, cut whole plants, trim big fans during harvest, then air dry 3-4days then into jars..

Right on, man! That's exactly the way to do it. Flowering takes at least 8 weeks. I've never heard of a crop coming in under that time (except for autoflowers which cheat by flowering immediately). In my last grow, I let the babies flower for 12 weeks!

As I'm sure you've been told a thousand times, look at the trichomes. If they completely clear, you should wait longer. Soon the trichomes will look cloudy and then turn amber. Depending on the type of high you're looking for (trippy high - harvest sooner rather than later) or laidback couchlock (harvest later rather than sooner).

Another sign to look for is the shape of the trichomes. If they are erect, they are still in the developing phase, if they are starting to sag and droop, they are getting near completion. I would pick up a small pocket microscope or jeweler's loupe. You need at least 10 X maginification. You should be able to get something good for under $20. I bought mine in a superstore pharmacy.

Here's the one I use (cost $6 I think):

Loop the Loupe

Loupe1.jpg

Carson Optics

Loupe2.jpg

The best way to decide when to harvest is the tried and true taste test. Cut off a small bud and dry it (more on this below) and smoke it. It's as simple as that.

I have read about several ways to dry a test bud. One is to gently dry it in the oven, another is to put it in an envelope on top of your valence (if you have one). Both of these suck, believe me. I've tried both several times. The former dries out the bud too much and I think ruins the potency. The latter just plain doesn't work.

What I do is get a paper bag, put the bud(s) inside and leave it on the floor beside the crop where the light is stongest. It will dry out in less than 24 hours. When I was short on product, I would put a bunch of nugs in a larger paper bag and do this. Works like a charm every time. By the way, my grow space is fairly warm and all the heat helps dry out the nugs in the bag. Depending on your setup, your mileage may vary.

P.S. As I was writing this message, I saw the pictures of your buds. Freakin' awesome, man!!!!

Looking Great there Keep up that good work and you'll surley enjoy the rewards......
Keepem Green

Morning everyone, :peace:, woke up today ... Decided to take some pics, everything seems to have finally begun its final lil push, they've all got new hairs sprouting up all over, and I believe I'm pushing week 7 currently... Shoulda wrote it down...lol, anyway here ya go
IMAG04903.jpg

Kryptonite
IMAG04912.jpg

Kryptonite
IMAG04923.jpg

Gush
IMAG04934.jpg

Started these babies last night,
2 Thai skunk, from g13 fem.
1 jack from ch9 fem.
1 chocolope from Amsterdam seed co
And 6 f2 seeds, my buddys strain, grandaddy purp x great white shark
IMAG04983.jpg

Already done Kami already done...lol.. tasted bad cuz of quick dry, but stony... Not the high I'm looking for, but stony...

Back
Top Bottom