Know why grandma loves outdoor?

Grandma Weedstein

These things are getting monstrous and I basically do nothing but water and fertilizer when I’m sober enough to remember.

Outdoor is a no brainer if you have the opportunity. Not talking shit, since the indoor guys have way more expertise, but outdoor it really is just a weed:

F654687C-4BFC-4F0E-9457-1EF03A256C99.jpeg
1FB9E4CD-857F-4AEF-BE43-3ABB46B49163.jpeg

Yeah weeds lol - looks good. Love your home made tunnel. Thats a GREAT idea! How tall is the center height?
High tunnel is 8 feet at the highest point. The middle plant was getting too tall so I super-cropped the apical cola. I think that since they’re in flower now, they won’t get way bigger — whatever stretch I encounter can probably be contained with super-cropping.

These ladies are primarily for seed, but I am trying to balance pollination with bud production for smoke. We’ll see how I do.

High tunnel is 8 feet at the highest point. The middle plant was getting too tall so I super-cropped the apical cola. I think that since they’re in flower now, they won’t get way bigger — whatever stretch I encounter can probably be contained with super-cropping.

These ladies are primarily for seed, but I am trying to balance pollination with bud production for smoke. We’ll see how I do.
How much available light does the tunnel fabric let through? The plants look great, and nicely out of view!

Hand pollinate?? Or is one a male? Yikes....

Can you give me a quick tuturial on how you made the tunnel.... I'm wanting to do this for the upcoming weather/fall to keep molds in check. I'm on a mountainside in upstate NY we get a fair share of PM - all the winers have to deal with it.

Supercrop is the way to go. Soon as you crack that main stem they stop growing up for the most part. I usually tie that back to itself with a wire. I had plants straiten back up over night.

Good job you plants look great.

Hand pollinate?? Or is one a male? Yikes....

Can you give me a quick tuturial on how you made the tunnel.... I'm wanting to do this for the upcoming weather/fall to keep molds in check. I'm on a mountainside in upstate NY we get a fair share of PM - all the winers have to deal with it.

Supercrop is the way to go. Soon as you crack that main stem they stop growing up for the most part. I usually tie that back to itself with a wire. I had plants straiten back up over night.

Good job you plants look great.
So basically I cemented 6 posts in the ground in a rectangular shape, then connected the long sides with boards. Then I took two panels of big livestock fencing, bent them to form a dome and attached them to those boards. Then I covered them with clear plastic sheeting. If you want to see videos on how people do it, google “livestock panel hoophouse.”

As for the breeding, I have a male elsewhere on my property that I gather pollen from. I’ve got a lot of space and a huge hedge all around my property so I don’t think I’m creating havoc on the neighborhood.

I thot grandma liked to be outside cuz grandpa was out there. Or some near naked hunk neighbour was wokin in the yard

What do i know?

Cheers

Love love love! Thanks for the tip on the hoop house. Just what I was looking for. Perfect.

We have a nice size farmette 30 acres we cut out areas in the woodland part and cleared out some enough for a nice patch. Be nice in the fall to have some cover.

Love love love! Thanks for the tip on the hoop house. Just what I was looking for. Perfect.

We have a nice size farmette 30 acres we cut out areas in the woodland part and cleared out some enough for a nice patch. Be nice in the fall to have some cover.
Absolutely! However, still be sure to keep an eye out for powdery mildew and bud rot. They should be less problematic when shielded from the rain but morning dew can contribute to these issues — probably more to powdery mildew than bud rot, but still a good idea to be inspecting thoroughly. Not that it’s a problem, since most of us are constantly inspecting them for the sheer joy of it!

These things are getting monstrous and I basically do nothing but water and fertilizer when I’m sober enough to remember.

Outdoor is a no brainer if you have the opportunity. Not talking shit, since the indoor guys have way more expertise, but outdoor it really is just a weed:
OK Grandma Weedstein...glad I found this. Will catch up a bit tomorrow.

PM is a thing here. We live in the finger lakes where its usually grey like 8 months a year. Wine country too. The vineyards have to grow specific grape cultivars that can handle cool and damp and PM is a problem.

I've got a few tools in the tool box for PM tho. IF I had a tunnel like you I'd be burning sulfur just close the ends for an evening problems solved.

PM is a thing here. We live in the finger lakes where its usually grey like 8 months a year. Wine country too. The vineyards have to grow specific grape cultivars that can handle cool and damp and PM is a problem.

I've got a few tools in the tool box for PM tho. IF I had a tunnel like you I'd be burning sulfur just close the ends for an evening problems solved.
Thanks, that’s good advice but Oregon seems to be pretty dry in late summer usually, even with humidity. Also, I am trying to select for PM resistance so if a variety is susceptible, I want to know so I can work on it or scrap it.

I've watched a ton of videos from homesteaders on youtube. Making high tunnels big and small like this. I want one and hope to have it done when the weather starts cooling off. Plan for winter and early spring is just for cold weather veggies and once it warms up, my veggies will have company,lol!

I've watched a ton of videos from homesteaders on youtube. Making high tunnels big and small like this. I want one and hope to have it done when the weather starts cooling off. Plan for winter and early spring is just for cold weather veggies and once it warms up, my veggies will have company,lol!
Let us know how it goes! Before I built mine, I let my plants stay outside until it got to about 28-29 F, then I got too worried and chopped. I feel like I may be able to keep them out until like 24-25 F based on what I’ve read about the warming effect of the hoophouse. Well, I may let a few colas stay out that long just for science.

Back
Top Bottom