Leaf Transpiration

AgedMaster

Hi I am having a problem my plants are transpiring like mad I have had to remove over 100 leaves in 2 days. I have a auto that should have been done in about 9 weeks. its 9 weeks now and hasn't even started flowering properly there's a few wispy hairs and it has started to take over my tent. My humidity is 25% does anyone no how to stop the leaves getting wet. I was going to use my dehumidifier but my humidity is already a little low. Is it because its to dry in there Its the first time I have tried growing a tent full normally I let them grow tall this time I trained them should I put my extraction fan speed on full or will it cause wind burn I use a 400wHPS

Have you double checked your humidity with another unit?

I have seen wild fluctuations between different units, different brands, and low/dead batteries......

Just an idea.

Maybe you are getting the greenhouse effect with using the hps.

What's your daytime nighttime temps?

Any pictures....

Have you double checked your humidity with another unit?

I have seen wild fluctuations between different units, different brands, and low/dead batteries......

Just an idea.

Maybe you are getting the greenhouse effect with using the hps.
What's your daytime nighttime temps?

Any pictures....
Hi pal I have a probe meter do u no if its the probe that detects humidity or the unit. My temps are 26c lights on and 18c lights off my light is about 2 1/2ft away. I did have a intake but I took it out and a fan but it made no difference. I noticed when I first started growing if I have the door closed where plants are I would have water streaming down sides of tent. Here is a pic of them I did have everything level until the dodgy auto took over here's a pic from last week before I trimmed them and today I also opened centre up a little I have 4 plants in there my tent is a 4x4
IMG_20231215_211558 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20231222_042359 - Copy.jpg

I am having a problem my plants are transpiring like mad
Sounds like there is too much humidity trapped in the tent. If your humidity is 25% and the leaves are wet then most likely that whatever you are using to measure is not working right.
should I put my extraction fan speed on full or will it cause wind burn
There are several ways to set the extracting fan up correctly. One is that it draws warm & moist air from the top part of the tent and pushing it out of the tent and that air is replaced with drier air from outside the tent. Another way is to set the fan up so it draws air in and pushes the air through a charcoal filter and back into the tent.

I have a charcoal filter and the air is pushed back into the tent but it is set up so that the blowing air is not directed right at the plants. Plus, it takes a lot of air moving really fast to cause wind burn.

I noticed when I first started growing if I have the door closed where plants are I would have water streaming down sides of tent.
This says it all. You have too much moisture building up inside the tent. Whatever you are using that is telling you that your humidity is 25% is wrong. If you had water streaming down the sides of the tent then most likely your humidity was more like 80 to 90% and the temperatures too high.

I keep the top of the flowering tent door open a bit during the dark period and open it up all the way when the lights come on. That way the heat from the lights can flow outside the tent and help keep the grow room warm. I water the pots when the lights come on instead of just before the lights turn off and the door is closed except at the top. Since I started doing that my humidity levels are at 50 to 55% when the lights first come on. Then the levels settle at 42 to 45% within a few hours. Night time temperatures are about 70 to 72 F this time of year and day time temps are holding about 82 to 84 F.

Sounds like there is too much humidity trapped in the tent. If your humidity is 25% and the leaves are wet then most likely that whatever you are using to measure is not working right.

There are several ways to set the extracting fan up correctly. One is that it draws warm & moist air from the top part of the tent and pushing it out of the tent and that air is replaced with drier air from outside the tent. Another way is to set the fan up so it draws air in and pushes the air through a charcoal filter and back into the tent.

I have a charcoal filter and the air is pushed back into the tent but it is set up so that the blowing air is not directed right at the plants. Plus, it takes a lot of air moving really fast to cause wind burn.

This says it all. You have too much moisture building up inside the tent. Whatever you are using that is telling you that your humidity is 25% is wrong. If you had water streaming down the sides of the tent then most likely your humidity was more like 80 to 90% and the temperatures too high.

I keep the top of the flowering tent door open a bit during the dark period and open it up all the way when the lights come on. That way the heat from the lights can flow outside the tent and help keep the grow room warm. I water the pots when the lights come on instead of just before the lights turn off and the door is closed except at the top. Since I started doing that my humidity levels are at 50 to 55% when the lights first come on. Then the levels settle at 42 to 45% within a few hours. Night time temperatures are about 70 to 72 F this time of year and day time temps are holding about 82 to 84 F.
X2

Some led lights come a little more inconspicuous than others. I like the @ViparSpectra light I was sent. It folds in half so box was half the size, everything was packed discreetly, and has been a rockstar of a light! Super affordable!

ViparSpectra KS3000 320W LED Grow Light

Hi pal I was meant to say when I had water streaming down walls it was in a 8x4 I had 8 plants and it was in another room it was when I first moved in 8 years ago I have also had new windows fitted since. I fixed that buy having a intake and outtake I opened my tent one day and my plants was soaked in flower I had to shake the hell out of them. This time it is only leaves that are rubbing on each other. I turned the extraction fan up and it seems better I kept getting a strong grass smell at lights out I didn't have it at all today I also read this

Do plants transpire more in heat?

The transpiration rate goes up as the temperature goes up, especially during the growing season. As the relative humidity of the air surrounding the plant increases, the transpiration rate decreases.

is this true do plants transpire more the drier the air is do u not think it could be to dry hot and packed in there

Do plants transpire more in heat?
Yes. The following quote is from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA):

"Does humidity increase or decrease transpiration?

The transpiration rate goes up as the temperature goes up, especially during the growing season. As the relative humidity of the air surrounding the plant increases, the transpiration rate decreases. It is easier for water to evaporate into dryer air than into more saturated air."

If you are seeing water drop on the leaves then it is a sign that the air in the tent has become loaded with water vapor and the humidity is too high so the water vapor condenses on the leaf.

And something else to keep in mind is that as the humidity continues to increase the plant will not be able to continue to transpire water. When that happens the plant will start to close the stomata and this slows down the plant being able to absorb water and any dissolved nutrients through the root system. This then causes a slow down in photosynthesis and that leads to a slow down in plant growth until humidity and temperatures return to more acceptable levels.

Hi all I have got another humidity checker and it is reading the same as my original one I couldn't get it in and around my plants but the original one was when I first checked humidity. I honestly think it is to dry and hot making my plants sweat/transpire more. I can make humidity higher slightly by closing the room door but my temps will rise what do u think should I close door or leave it I also have my extraction up full now I also had a fan in there but it was burning my plants in the corner and they was still getting wet
IMG_20231224_041825 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20231224_041813 - Copy.jpg

As the saying goes, "where there is a will there is a way".

Ask yourself this. If there are too many cameras and nosy people then how did you get the tent into your property?

Buy the LED light and bring it home in the box.
Hi pal I did carry in my new tent I just used a bin bag. I think the cameras only get used when there is a report I might get a new led next grow I will take a look at viper spectra as OGpapa recommends.

I have got another humidity checker and it is reading the same as my original one I couldn't get it in and around my plants but the original one was when I first checked humidity. I honestly think it is to dry and hot making my plants sweat/transpire more. I can make humidity higher slightly by closing the room door but my temps will rise what do u think should I close door or leave it I also have my extraction up full
I don't know what is going on based on the information but 25% is way to low and is part of the reason why you are finding water drops. That humidity is a bit lower than being in a desert in one of the western US states. Maybe give us some more information and someone else might have an idea.

It's 25% at the sensor. I cannot be 25% where drops are forming or the water in the air would not condense into drops.

Move the sensor into the canopy and check your readings.

Hacking off leaves might help but the bigger issue is air flow through the canopy. I learned the hard way - that plant in the picture is from my Spring grow. It was in 50±% RH throughout flower and had fans under the canopy but it wasn't enough. I got bud rot and binned the entire grow. That hurt.

IMG_0142.jpeg

It's 25% at the sensor. I cannot be 25% where drops are forming or the water in the air would not condense into drops.

Move the sensor into the canopy and check your readings.

Hacking off leaves might help but the bigger issue is air flow through the canopy. I learned the hard way - that plant in the picture is from my Spring grow. It was in 50±% RH throughout flower and had fans under the canopy but it wasn't enough. I got bud rot and binned the entire grow. That hurt.
Hi I have a speed controller my extraction fan was on half I have put it up full speed there's a nice breeze going through them now my auto at the back left has perked up since

Back
Top Bottom