LED in the VipersNest

Are you gonna start that light out really high up and bring it down? How bright is that thing, I can't imagine 600watts of pink light?

Ill put it a few ft awy and lower it as needed. Its about the brightest thing Ive ever seen. No joke

Sorry to hear about your mishap their PV.

I can't wait to watch and see what LED's can do..

well, again, you're comparing 90w to 600w.

apples and oranges bro.

would you put a 1000w HID at the same distance as a 150?

I agree with both sides and disagree with reasoning. I feel a 600w hps will burn a plant at the same fixed distance than a 600w LED light. Reasons I think that way are simple. With an 600w HPS -600 watts of light are being dispensed out of a single filament. That creates an immense isolated heat source.

An led as you know are individual same watt chips evenly placed across a bored ranging in size with a heat sink and fans. There for I think the heat is not only more consistent but dispersed way more efficiently allowing the light to be closer.

I think of it like snow shoes. In order to get across a 5ft snow bed, you would wear snow shoes to evenly disperse your weight allowing you to simply walk across oppose to wearing just shoes and have you weight concentrated all on your heals and foot bottoms. You would sink.

Just my opinion though. I mean I have three of his 120w units and I can leave my hand on the glass lens and it gets warm. I can not touch my 600w HPS unless it is water cooled with some thick tempered glass.

So in the same sense you could place (12) 50w hps bulbs closer to the entire canopy in a whole then you could place a single 600w HPS.
I could imagine a 600w LED being damn hot, lol, that would be nuts though...

I agree with both sides and disagree with reasoning. I feel a 600w hps will burn a plant at the same fixed distance than a 600w LED light. Reasons I think that way are simple. With an 600w HPS -600 watts of light are being dispensed out of a single filament. That creates an immense isolated heat source.

An led as you know are individual same watt chips evenly placed across a bored ranging in size with a heat sink and fans. There for I think the heat is not only more consistent but dispersed way more efficiently allowing the light to be closer.

I think of it like snow shoes. In order to get across a 5ft snow bed, you would wear snow shoes to evenly disperse your weight allowing you to simply walk across oppose to wearing just shoes and have you weight concentrated all on your heals and foot bottoms. You would sink.

Just my opinion though. I mean I have three of his 120w units and I can leave my hand on the glass lens and it gets warm. I can not touch my 600w HPS unless it is water cooled with some thick tempered glass.

So in the same sense you could place (12) 50w hps bulbs closer to the entire canopy in a whole then you could place a single 600w HPS.
I could imagine a 600w LED being damn hot, lol, that would be nuts though...

If it wasn't for that plastic panel you wouldn't be able to touch the LED's either.

If it wasn't for that plastic panel you wouldn't be able to touch the LED's either.

Hey actually I removed the glass lens on my 126w HGL light. LOL well broke it on accident but regardless it is out. Those 1 watt leds would not burn a newborn. I don't see how a 3w could be unbearable to the touch. Warmer? Certainly but I bet they would not burn your skin like touching a filament on a hps.

Now if there were no heat sinks and fans then they would heat up and burn out quickly but that is the benefit of LEDs. Their heat is dissipated through the back of the thermal pins on into the heat sink once the energy in used to illuminate the diode.

Hey actually I removed the glass lens on my 126w HGL light. LOL well broke it on accident but regardless it is out. Those 1 watt leds would not burn a newborn. I don't see how a 3w could be unbearable to the touch. Warmer? Certainly but I bet they would not burn your skin like touching a filament on a hps.

Now if there were no heat sinks and fans then they would heat up and burn out quickly but that is the benefit of LEDs. Their heat is dissipated through the back of the thermal pins on into the heat sink once the energy in used to illuminate the diode.

The only bulbs I know that are bearable to touch after working for a while are fluro's tubes and even then you don't want your plants on them for too long. Why are the panels there then? Even the sun loses some strength though glass know? Aren't the LED's losing strength through the glass?

The only bulbs I know that are bearable to touch after working for a while are fluro's tubes and even then you don't want your plants on them for too long. Why are the panels there then? Even the sun loses some strength though glass know? Aren't the LED's losing strength through the glass?

I thought the same thing and the plants seem to be doing even better since I took it out (broke it out).

buy more HID's..the footprint of the LED is small....

This is indeed the case...

The advertised footprint of the current 90 watt UFO knock-offs is as high as 5' by 5' or more, with the average being more like 3' by 3', for a total coverage area of 9 sqf. That is unrealistic in the extreme.

9 sqf with one 90 watt UFO? No. Not with the 1 watt LEDs they use, no way.

A coverage area of 4 sqf is ideal to help ensure that the scattered/reflected light is able to penetrate a little deeper down into the lower parts of the foliage.

While this equals a lot of LED wattage for a pretty small coverage area (look at GLH's "core saturation" dimensions for the most accurate and amazingly honest information I've seen to date about any LED panel) anything less just will not cut it - stretch is annoying and LED's reduced ability to penetrate foliage versus the traditional HPS/MH lamps is a consideration. IMO, adding a bunch of fluro tubes on the sides just defeats the whole purpose of using LED lighting to begin with... but that's just me :geek:

LED lighting is clearly on the absolute cutting edge - even a year ago I probably would not have given them another thought as the costs were just too high. Now, I'm sold. Tailoring lighting to match chloro A, B, and all the other basics is the right start but we still have a way to go before we can give our ladies the exact amount of each nm of the spectrum that they might like. Regardless, LED lights work, period - there really is no need to doubt them. Physics is physics and PAR is what they want... yummy yummy PAR.

Indoor gardening is such a fun challenge... :peacetwo:

~Dacob

I got a call from Mike yesterday and he was inquiring to the same. short answer yes Im doing something shortly...2-3 weeks....isolated grow.

I got a call from Mike yesterday and he was inquiring to the same. short answer yes Im doing something shortly...2-3 weeks....isolated grow.

for sure, wasn't sure what the game plan was, didn't know if you still had the light or not. i am glade ur still going to do a grow with the light, ive been waiting to see what ur skills can do with this led light. :goodluck:

for sure, wasn't sure what the game plan was, didn't know if you still had the light or not. i am glade ur still going to do a grow with the light, ive been waiting to see what ur skills can do with this led light. :goodluck:

hey irish look above and you'll see my foot in mouth disease all over the glass in the panel thing.

LED Update.
Hung in a 3x5 closet....freshley painted.
Am waiting on new beans right now and thats the only holdup. They will be cracked the day they arrive.. Im doing GHS Lemon Skunk under the LED. 4 femmed plants. Veg time....we shall see.
04025.JPG

03834.JPG

03733.JPG

03544.JPG

03347.JPG

Back
Top Bottom