LED in the VipersNest

I tend to agree, but it may end up being a blessing in disguise. Now he can run a start to finish LED grow and learn the light all through the cycle. Regardless of how it ended, there would be a great unknown about the light...the whole veg cycle and a bit of flower...better to do it all I say.

At any rate, once it get going good, this will be a great one to watch.

Yep, I agree, better to see how it performs all the way through, and since it's Pit, it'll be a great show.

live and learn....Im starting some others in veg in a week and will go from there. There isnt a problem with soil,PH or anything. plants were perfect for all of veg and 12 days of bloom.
I shocked them from being too close..Im human..sometimes

I would have positioned it about the same height. Who would think that plants used to a 1000w HPS would need acclimating to a 600w LED? Certainly not me.

Yeah, even psycho clowns are human sometimes ;)

I started mine from seed; they're 7wks now, grown completely under LEDs. My boyfriend says they are the best looking indoor plants he has ever seen.

ill show you mine if you show me yours? 600w led grow in day 1 of flower
day_1_of_flower_004_600x449.jpg

sorry pit. i want to see these plants that her boyfriend says are the best he has ever seen grown with leds. everybody has their own opinions on whats the best,

lol! That is true about boyfriends, when I was building the grow room, he told me, "You do not know what you're doing." I'm trying to get my pics on. I have one in the gallery.

A 600w LED and a 90w UFO are not the same thing when it comes to energy, and the problem starting right after moving them under the LED is too coincidental to be anything other than burn caused by the LED being too close.

I don't think I would have positioned it much higher than 20" myself, which is why I asked earlier in the thread if the manufacturer had suggested a distance.

We're all learning here, but I think this could have been avoided.

Sun , I could only go by what we did and it goes against what you guys are saying for light distance. We put the LED's 3" away from our test plants that came from HID to try to stop the stretching that had started and did that for the first 3 weeks with no problem! I'm not certain why everyone is afraid to have their LED lights so close to their plants...I thought that was suppose to be a benefit since lights effectiveness drops considerably the further away. I'm sure if we could our plants would be kissing the HPS bulbs!...LOL
But we could all be wrong...LOL:peacetwo:

live and learn....Im starting some others in veg in a week and will go from there. There isnt a problem with soil,PH or anything. plants were perfect for all of veg and 12 days of bloom.
I shocked them from being too close..Im human..sometimes

Must be some killer LED's to shock the plant after being used to a HID for all that time already...you should have shaded them before putting them under the sun like that...LOL

Must be some killer LED's to shock the plant after being used to a HID for all that time already...you should have shaded them before putting them under the sun like that...LOL

Im telling you guys 3w/3 chip led's ran with more power makes a huge difference in led light intensity. Im not comparing to hps, but these are not your 1w led panels so you cant really compare 1w to 3w led's without really using both.

The weird thing Ive been noticing with my led's is that I can actually control how fast they grow by adjusting the height of the panel. If I want short bushy plants I'll keep the light under 16 inches if I want the plant to grow taller Ill raise the light to 20/24+ inches during veg and i can literally see the difference over night.

Sun , I could only go by what we did and it goes against what you guys are saying for light distance. We put the LED's 3" away from our test plants that came from HID to try to stop the stretching that had started and did that for the first 3 weeks with no problem! I'm not certain why everyone is afraid to have their LED lights so close to their plants...I thought that was suppose to be a benefit since lights effectiveness drops considerably the further away. I'm sure if we could our plants would be kissing the HPS bulbs!...LOL
But we could all be wrong...LOL:peacetwo:

well, again, you're comparing 90w to 600w.

apples and oranges bro.

would you put a 1000w HID at the same distance as a 150?

Im telling you guys 3w/3 chip led's ran with more power makes a huge difference in led light intensity. Im not comparing to hps, but these are not your 1w led panels so you cant really compare 1w to 3w led's without really using both.

The weird thing Ive been noticing with my led's is that I can actually control how fast they grow by adjusting the height of the panel. If I want short bushy plants I'll keep the light under 16 inches if I want the plant to grow taller Ill raise the light to 20/24+ inches during veg and i can literally see the difference over night.

In my current journal, someone posted that plant height during veg can be controlled that way, but once the bloom stretch starts, genetics take over and the plant will more or less grow to it's genetic potential no matter what.

Has that been your experience, or do plants vegged short stay shorter through the stretch?

In my current journal, someone posted that plant height during veg can be controlled that way, but once the bloom stretch starts, genetics take over and the plant will more or less grow to it's genetic potential no matter what.

Has that been your experience, or do plants vegged short stay shorter through the stretch?

seems lights can kinda control that IMO. just like in my side x side the 180w still had shorter plants will less stretch. i always thought the same thing, but after seeing the 180w stretch less then the 126w kinda made me think twice.

well, again, you're comparing 90w to 600w.

apples and oranges bro.

would you put a 1000w HID at the same distance as a 150?

Actually we took the plants from 1000w hps and put them under 3 126 panels. Not sure why your talking about comparisons? They went from 12" from the light to 3" under LED. In this case I thought PIT had been flowering them under a 1000w for some time already and put them almost a foot under the panel.

Actually we took the plants from 1000w hps and put them under 3 126 panels. Not sure why your talking about comparisons? They went from 12" from the light to 3" under LED. In this case I thought PIT had been flowering them under a 1000w for some time already and put them almost a foot under the panel.

I'm sorry, I confused the following from orangeblood as being something you had posted.

"I've moved plants back and forth from LED and HID with only a 90 watt UFO and 250 watt hid with no issues other than water uptake does slow under the LED. I also only did it when plants were vegging, never flowering."

It's crazy that a light, especially an LED can nuke a garden like that.
Sure the difference between a 90 watt and 600 watt is vast but I'm still not sold that moving a plant from HID to LED is to blame.
The burn marks dont look like typical heat burns or dry root burns. Maybe it's a spectrum intensity issue. Like too much microwaves or uv, something like that, causing the plant to burn from the inside out. Even with the lamp being 600 watts I would think you could drop it down in the twelve to twenty inch range without issue.
I'm curious now as to what kind of readings the LED would have on a light meter from different distances so Pit could then guesstimate a good distance to provide enough punch to develop the large plants without fatal consequences.

if you were to do it again (lets say because of a catastrofic failure of all your HID's), what would you do different when moving established plants from HID to LED?
buy more HID's..the footprint of the LED is small....

Back
Top Bottom