LED lights for new grow room

wildwestsmoke

I have been trying to figure out the best solution for LED Grow lights. My space with be about 9.5 x 6.5 x 8. I am planning on have 6 plants and growing them with LST and topping in soil. (Maybe coco coir)

I have read a bunch about Mars 2 lights. But just confused as to how many watts i should use. I've read so many things that contradict each other.

Thank you,

Good morning Wildwest and welcome to :420:

Are you planning to try and fill the whole space with the 6 plants? That would be about 3'x3' space for each plant. For LEDs it is recommended to have between 25 and 50 watts per square foot.

For the space you are using here are some options:

Mars II 700 (times 6 pieces) = 31 w/sqft coverage of 3x3
Mars II 900 (times 6 pieces) = 39 w/sqft coverage of 3'6x3'6
Mars II 1200 ( 6 pieces) = 50 w/sqft coverage of 4'x4'

Reflector 144 ( 6 pieces) = 25 w/sqft coverage of approximately 6'x2'

These coverages are for best light mixing at 18 to 24" above the plant tops.

I use a Mars II 900 in and area of 3'6x3'6 and get about 35 w/sqft with good results

Hope this helps mate

(Reflector 144 ( 6 pieces) = 25 w/sqft coverage of approximately 6'x2') That is for the Reflector 144 with 3w LED's

The new Reflector 144 has 5w LED's and is 720w or about 350w pulled from the wall like the Mars II 700w.

I run 50w psf in my Flower tent. So a Reflector 144 5w LED would cover 7sf for me.

Hi widewestsmoke, 6pcs MarsII900w will cover your space 9.5'x6.5' well. The draw power of MarsII900w is 420~430w under 110v. You will get about 40w per square foot, which is enough.:thumb:

I have been trying to figure out the best solution for LED Grow lights. My space with be about 9.5 x 6.5 x 8. I am planning on have 6 plants and growing them with LST and topping in soil. (Maybe coco coir)

I have read a bunch about Mars 2 lights. But just confused as to how many watts i should use. I've read so many things that contradict each other.
im new to this led thing last year i bought four . red and blue lights they have about a hundred red and thirty- two blue posta be 135 watts was not impressed with growth under veg recently added three cobb type smd 100 watt chip outdoor flood lights on ebay about $ 40.00 per unit ,two cool white 6500k and one warm white 3500k in the middle to my 135 watt red and blues leds on each side total 570 watts working great now . one con is theres not cooling fan on the flood lights but i have ext. fans in my tent keeps them cool enough they seem to be quality built from china but they have distributer in san jose .Calif. recently i purchased replacement chips in red and blue only about five buck free shipping but im still waiting for those coming from china . they come in many different spectrums uv , green , white , amber up to 20,000 30,000 k i dont if that spectrum would work but im just experimenting now just lately ive seen these cob smd chips as high as 500 watts the price is right for the light you get at least for me my tent is 6ft by 6ft by 6ft by the way... ive had to use air conditioner most all summer but im in a hot shop ,hope n this winter the lights will keep me warm instead of heater it can get into the low thirties here well enough rambling for now ! keep us updated on your LED results please ! thanks ,smoke em if you got em ,and if you aint got em grow em!
Thank you,[/always remember theres more than one way to skin a cat !QUOTE]

Ask for the PAR charts (fluency rate) measurements.

For flowering you should have at least 500 micromoles/m2 across the entire grow space.
Most growers aim for 800 micromoles for flowering in a 12/12

This is the most accurate way to judge plant lighting for your plants needs.

Watts is not accurate because you could have 2 lights, identical wattage, but one is a spotlight type beam, one is a floodlight type. Based on wattage you would think the coverage would be the same, but they are not.

By using PAR readings/measurements, you can exactly find what coverage area is needed.

Ask for the PAR charts (fluency rate) measurements.

For flowering you should have at least 500 micromoles/m2 across the entire grow space.
Most growers aim for 800 micromoles for flowering in a 12/12

This is the most accurate way to judge plant lighting for your plants needs.

Watts is not accurate because you could have 2 lights, identical wattage, but one is a spotlight type beam, one is a floodlight type. Based on wattage you would think the coverage would be the same, but they are not.

By using PAR readings/measurements, you can exactly find what coverage area is needed.

Icemud, i have a question that requires your expertise on lighting. If possible can i message your or do you have a journal i can ask it in? Your current journal clearly states my question in particular shouldn't be asked there. Thank you in advance.

I just ran 6 plants in my 4×10×8 room using two G8LED 600w and it seemed to be plenty. Some side lighting would always help but my LED's claim to pent rate up to 60"

Icemud, i have a question that requires your expertise on lighting. If possible can i message your or do you have a journal i can ask it in? Your current journal clearly states my question in particular shouldn't be asked there. Thank you in advance.

You can PM me if you would like...

Back
Top Bottom