Looking for higher end LED lights

Some good info here , I thought id ask a question here other than make a new thread. TY OP
If you guys were to buy a COB light instead of making it which would you go for? I cannot build one as I am a disabled marine. Ive had my eye on icemuds grow with the Budmaster cob and with some research here I see guys talking about gogreen led, area 51, pacific something ect.. They all seem similar to me. I'm looking for my best bang for the buck. I'm looking to order something in the next day or two so I can add to my flower room asap. I appreciate any info and thank u OP .

Atulip,
Thank you for that info man. Well my flowering area is about 4x3 maybe 4x4 if I wanted to. Right now I have a 600 and two 150's.. They work fine but I'm really interested with the COB technology. For now id like to flower 4 plants in 2gal pots.. I have 6 going under the other leds I have , I want to do a side by side before I invest into a few more lights. I do like the wider leds like the 600, I had a mars and while it worked the coverage just was not doing it for me. I see most of the COB are square bodies unless you build some like people here have done (I envy you guys lol) . But damn I see icemud and other grow journals with these type of cob lights and they are crushing it with just two of the 4 COB lights. I know a lot goes with knowing how to grow and I do know how :). I like the fact that I can upgrade the chip in the future it seems to be a better buy than getting another led "board type". And damn are they expensive but again being able to fix them and upgrade them at home seems a better investment. So ya I want to flower 2x2 for now then have a grow pay for another.
Thanks for the info
The guy that sent me a PM I tried replying but I don't have enough post yet. Thank you tho bud!

Awesome info guys. I think the tasty t3 2100 series is what I'm looking for. Two of those would do me good. Are they a site sponsor? They are priced well but thought I'd ask.
Again thank you guys

No hate on cxa's. I have some on my lights, just no reason to keep making cxa fixtures when cxbs are about the same price and more efficient. The Johnson cxb8 doesn't look bad, but could be built out of an old hps hood for a $150 heatsink, $400 leds, and $150 in drivers. Can't see why it's so expensive. If he could make the same fixtures with cxb3070s instead of cxa3070s you'd see about an 11% increase in light output and a 6% decrease in power consumption.

Unless you are growing with or discussing LED manufacturers or suppliers who are 420 Sponsors, (see this link for a list), we must request that you do not refer to or link to any LED company by name.

Important to remember that :420: has rules relating to sponsors, so I cannot make recommendations for high quality leds.

I will give a brief guide on buying high end white light leds. Look for actual watts and lumen output. This should be easily provided, remember that lux is not the same as lumens. You can calculate efficiency with this, and we want to see 140+ lumens/watt. Par charts may be provided and give an idea of the spread, but are unnecessary. Check brands of leds used(Cree, bridgelux vero, citiled, etc).

Determine how much space you have and light you need. As low as 2000-3000 lumens per square foot to veg, and up to 6000-7000 for flowering. That's based on the 3000-4000k spectrum options.

For mono leds it's a bit more difficult, they're usually measured in electrical efficiency rather than luminous output so it makes determining the actual amount of light you're getting. Typically stay away from anyone offering you a 400w equiv for 200w. The best leds out there won't even do this unless you're running an hps with no reflector or something. Look closely at par charts. Having 1500par in the center is pointless when at the edge of a 3'x3' you have 50 par. The more even the spread the better. High end white light leds are usually a better option except in some cases(osram), and cheaper mono leds usually won't be more efficient than a good HPS setup.(but may help with heat and reduced costs(bulb replacements)

Research as much as you can if possible before buying a light. Don't just click a blinking ad at the top of the browser thinking it'll be best. Remember that a lot of areas of the internet are ad centric, so you may see a lot of sponsored content making it a bit more difficult to find honest information.

Bad link, that's pertaining led sponsors, not the rules regarding no mentioning of non sponsored led companies name. I originally read that link thinking I was safe to mention non sponsor companies, just not direct linking them or trying to promote them. This is the link you need for forum rules, where it's more clear(although buried in long paragraphs) on the posting restrictions.

Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting

And here's the link that goes a little further into the led rule.

Questions & Answers - LEDs

Or specifically.
Simply don't mention the brand name of your lights, post pictures of them or get into deep, technical logistics of them;

@CaneyeBus I missed your reply before. Yeah still skeptical but I believe I saw where someone tested the temps with an ir camera at 60℃ or so(3590 @ 50w) A bit on the high side, but for something so small it looks to work. I suspect regular aluminum heatsinks work better than we think they do with the "17 inch per heat watt" thing. Based heatsinkusa specs, the 5.375"x5" would be .7℃/watt, but surface measurements show it's only good for 14w of heat. If the pin style is .8℃/w or higher, a similarly sized heatsink USA with lower ℃/w should work just as well if not better.

So let me get this straight, we are not allowed to "mention" any other company in this industry unless they are sponsor here?

If, i did this, my apologies. I must have misunderstood the guidelines as well. I see those posts are gone now.

Edit- this wasn't the led thread where i thought I violated. Not sure how to delete this post. So Ijust made note

Hi Everyone

We're sorry for the deletions and edits we have had to make in this thread. We appreciate that you are simply advising and discussing DIY and commercial LEDs, and that no-one here is in sales. :thumb:

We do not enjoy editing posts, but the only way we can deal with the vast amount of LED spam we get on a daily basis is to treat everyone exactly alike. The job would be impossible if we allowed 'grey areas': they would be immediately exploited by spammers. Any edits we have made to your posts are not personal criticisms; to keep the whole site spam-free for you all, they are actions we simply have to take.

Atulip in his post above has well summarized our necessary policy in this area. For completion, here are the key paragraphs from our Forum Guidelines:

Due to numerous spam attempts from non-sponsored LED companies, we no longer allow grow journals or posts/threads that showcase non-sponsored led grow lights. Any grow journals that are found to be showcasing or promoting the lights of a non-Sponsored LED company will be deleted. Sadly a few bad seeds in the LED industry have used underhand and unethical marketing tactics by spamming our forums, taking over LED threads and promoting non-sponsored lights to sidestep advertising.

Unless you are growing with or discussing LED manufacturers or suppliers who are 420 Sponsors, (see this link for a list), we must request that you do not refer to or link to any LED company by name.

We have a responsibility to protect our members from illicit promotion by untrustworthy businesses. These companies create a plethora of drama that takes us forever to moderate. They pay people with free lights to come to forums and post journals so they can sell lights without paying to advertise. This is unacceptable to us, our members and our legitimate sponsors who pay for privileges that these other companies seek to receive for free.

Thank you all for your understanding. If you have any further questions, please drop any Moderator a PM and we'll answer you without having to clutter this thread further. :thanks:

Your 420 Magazine Moderators :circle-of-love:

:Namaste:

I'm currently in the market for a new LED light setup that is not china made (currently using Mars Hydro). What are some of the higher end brands I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance! :thanks:
Check out amare technologies these guys make bomb panels for commercial growers n they grow too so here my solar eclipse in action in my 4x4

795bc120005541b414d0cc560ae5bbec.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using 420

Cree Cobs are definitely what you want if you're looking for top end. They also emit a much more pleasant color(white light).

DIY isn't difficult. You can even convert your mars hydro to Cree Cobs. Check growmau5 on YouTube if you're interested in DIY.

For purchasable units, Pacific light concepts and tastyled are the best(and reasonably priced) Cree Cob fixtures I know of.

Budmaster cob uses citiled, not sure of the specs, honestly haven't read much on their efficiency, but the units are overpriced for the light you get, and unless they're 2x the efficiency of Cree(which is impossible), I can't see justifying the same price tag of similar Cree fixtures for half the watts.

Mars Hydro 300(60x5(eBay)) to Cree cxb3590. ~17,000 lumens for 120w. (There's also a couple cxa1512s on here since there was a little spare voltage.)

IMAG11245.jpg

2 of them in my 2'7"x2'7" tent.
IMG_20160202_075628.jpg

hello I'm noob sry but I'm very interested in this making my own grow light thing you got going on can you send me some photos of some flower they produce and also where can I find info on wich parts to buy to build the light I want to build

Nice to see some more light builders arround here. I went full DIY Nov 2016 starting the research and learing how it works.

Started to test my own veg spectrum with old tech 5w LED while my new tech COBs flower some nice buds.

You can learn how to build lights with Growmau5s videos, Fanleaf right here on 420 in the DIY Section, JimmyJames and alot more helpful guys are active in there. You can also check my sig.

Current Grow SeymoreNuggets Flowering Journal - Nebula & Atomical Haze - Soil - 2x3 - 420W DIY COB

My journey seeking the light. Found some
SeymoreNugget's DIY talk - Building lights - Sharing ideas

I build by own diy lights. If that isn't an option for you,

It is an option for me. Care to share what you are using for LEDs and drivers? I've been building my shop lighting for a couple years now, and I've kinda got it down to a science.. I'd like to build some grow lights also for my own medical use.

Cheers..

hi guys hope everyone is havin a good weekend,,, I need some cob advice I'm old school grower hid/hps lights...im not good at building electric units.i found somebody in my area that does build..36in linear aircraft aluminum frame 4xcree cxb3590-0000-000n0bdb65e 6500k 4x120mm heatsinks 1xhlg 240h-c1750 driver 250w dimmable ..he states each cob can produce 18000lumens each so 72000 total ...costs 625$....the reason for 6500k is I just starting to dip into cob led and I wanna see how it responds to mothers babys ...he states this is great for 4x2 area 1167 ppfd at 16in is the average spread 1850 in center...please guys any info would be greatly appreciated THANKS

Back
Top Bottom