MaggiesFarm - 1st Grow - Soil - Indoor/Outdoor - Nirvana Freebies - 2014

I think it was first too close to the light, which caused me to react and overwater. I'll take pics when I get home later.

I had some time and found some generic organic farming sites that said it was a great source of N, but it doesn't offer any immediate benefits. They suggest working it into the soil when preparing the garden for next planting season. Also said it makes a good mulch. The real negative could be getting some chemically treated hair that could do harm to the plants. Since this guy used to have blue hair, I don't think I'll be using it as a soil additive.

LMAO....now that's just too dam funny. Tell your buddy to pony up your money and leave the witches brew at home...unless of course it's tried and tested...LOL.

You did the best thing you could have done....asked someone else.

Oh, and the lights close to the plants. How close were they? Normally the leaves will curl up into themselves not dropping like they did.

Found a couple pics for you.

cannabis_leaf-deficiencies3112.jpg

And check out this link...

Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

It's funny because over watering and under watering look almost the same...bottom line...WATER...LOL.

Here are some pics from this afternoon. The 5-finger leaves are starting to show up. I'll measure them again on Saturday.

Renegade, I think the taller plant was about 10" from the light. The shorter one was not close enough to curl up like the bigger one did.

The seeds popped on May 9.

Here they are, looking much better after drying out a little bit.
CAM001193.jpg

Here's the obligatory overhead shot from the Fox Farms blimp.
CAM001202.jpg

FTB-01 is looking pretty chipper. One more node and I'm going to think about topping her. She's starting to catch up in height with her big sis.
CAM001211.jpg

FTB-02 has been leaning to the light. There are those 5-finger fan leaves. She may get topped this weekend. You can see the lingering effects of the proximity to the light on those bottom leaves.
CAM001222.jpg

FTB-02 is making her comeback with solid new growth.
CAM001232.jpg

When I do top these, can the pinched off tops be used as clones? I sure do appreciate all the help and suggestions about my plants. I think they are well on the road to recovery. I promise not to try and drown them again!

Stopped by to see what you have going here. I have some of those sized air-pots I started out with. They used so much water with plants that size. I would say might be on the under-watered side. Looking like they perked up a bit though in the new pics. When nirvana sends the free seeds they don't tell you what they are? That seems odd to me. I ordered my seeds from royal queen, I also got free seeds with my order. But they at least came in a seed pack with all of the info. Seems like they would want you to know what they are growing so you can praise them to your friends lol.

Good luck with the grow, I got my bean bag pulled up to see this grow :roorrip:

Stopped by to see what you have going here. I have some of those sized air-pots I started out with. They used so much water with plants that size. I would say might be on the under-watered side. Looking like they perked up a bit though in the new pics. When nirvana sends the free seeds they don't tell you what they are? That seems odd to me. I ordered my seeds from royal queen, I also got free seeds with my order. But they at least came in a seed pack with all of the info. Seems like they would want you to know what they are growing so you can praise them to your friends lol.

Hey TP, glad you dropped in. The one thing I do know is they weren't underwatered LOL. I thought they were at first, because of the Air Pots, when they were sitting too close to the light, so I decided to drown them Friday and Saturday.

Yeah I wish I knew what I'm growing here, just in case I really like it. It happens with cigars too, when somebody gives you an unbanded smoke.
:blunt:

When you do top your plants you may also root the cutting into a clone, this can work very easily.

Thanks again KJC. I think I'll give it a try since I've killed 3 seeds. Maybe I can get even with some clones.

Here are some pics from this afternoon. The 5-finger leaves are starting to show up. I'll measure them again on Saturday.

My man....looking much better now. The new grow is the confirmation.

Question... Your thinking on topping them? Why? Not a bad thing just curious to know what direction your going in. Your mind set.... SCROG??

Not a soil guy but was trolling another journal and saw someone mentioned a soil meter. For monitoring everything to include how much water is in the soil.

And it seems like all the soil guys water when the soil is drying out. No set time frame just when they think the plant needs it. A meter like above would make that a lot easier to do.

Nice point there Tim...between N and RQ. I started to order from RQ but cost is more than N so I went with N. I'm really not worried about not knowing what the freebies are...they are free after all...LOL. But I am at least considering ordering from RQ at least once to see what they send.

Oh, and the lights close to the plants. How close were they? Normally the leaves will curl up into themselves not dropping like they did.

And check out this link...

https://www.------------.com/marijuana-symptoms-pictures

It's funny because over watering and under watering look almost the same...bottom line...WATER...LOL.

The pics on the other site (google "/marijuana-symptoms-pictures" to find the complete URL) confirmed the diagnosis of the original problem with my plants as light burn. Thanks for that link because I'd never seen that one before!

My man....looking much better now. The new grow is the confirmation.

Question... Your thinking on topping them? Why? Not a bad thing just curious to know what direction your going in. Your mind set.... SCROG??

Not a soil guy but was trolling another journal and saw someone mentioned a soil meter. For monitoring everything to include how much water is in the soil.

And it seems like all the soil guys water when the soil is drying out. No set time frame just when they think the plant needs it. A meter like above would make that a lot easier to do.

I'm picking up a moisture meter Friday which should help keep me from overwatering again.

These plants are like a practice grow for me. I'm thinking of doing an outdoor scrog with one or both if things are going well. I just hope they both turn out to be girls.

The pics on the other site (google "/marijuana-symptoms-pictures" to find the complete URL) confirmed the diagnosis of the original problem with my plants as light burn. Thanks for that link because I'd never seen that one before!

I'm picking up a moisture meter Friday which should help keep me from overwatering again.

These plants are like a practice grow for me. I'm thinking of doing an outdoor scrog with one or both if things are going well. I just hope they both turn out to be girls.

Moisture meter....that's it...LOL.

And they are not sex'd yet. Ok, so practice, practice, practice. That's what I did, learned and corrected along the way. I only buy fem seeds but we know N is not GIVING away fem's so you have that to deal with.

As for moving them outside....I believe you missed your chance to move outside. Again not a soil or outdoor guy but I believe the solstice is next week. So the days begin to get shorter.

Let's wait for an SME to chime in here. Not sure when the plants should be moved outside but I know for sure it's done well before the solstice...I think...LOL.

Ideally they would have been ready to move outside by mid May, but I got a late start. We'll be getting 13+ hrs of sunlight right up to the last week in August so I should be OK. We'll just have to see what happens. I have to survive another round of unfriendly in-laws for a couple days in mid July, then I'll start the Bubblelicious autos.

Ideally they would have been ready to move outside by mid May, but I got a late start. We'll be getting 13+ hrs of sunlight right up to the last week in August so I should be OK. We'll just have to see what happens. I have to survive another round of unfriendly in-laws for a couple days in mid July, then I'll start the Bubblelicious autos.

You got it dialed in man. I was just asking because I know most of you soil growers have already moved outside.

And please let me know when you start the Bubbelicious. I got them on standbye. If I move sooner I may start mine before you do.

Will do on the Bubblelicious!

I think I'll top both of my plants this weekend, try to get the clone tops established, veg them for a couple weeks and put them into flower to determine sex. I don't want to waste my time if both are males.

Weirdness...I got home yesterday afternoon and took a quick peek at the plants and it looked like FTB-02 (the bigger of the 2) had folded up on itself. I didn't see any breaks in the stem, but something was not right. Well, 4 hrs later I checked again after the lights had been on for an hour and it looked better. This morning before heading to work, it looked just fine. The new growth looks really good on both plants. More pics coming tomorrow.

Weirdness...I got home yesterday afternoon and took a quick peek at the plants and it looked like FTB-02 (the bigger of the 2) had folded up on itself. I didn't see any breaks in the stem, but something was not right. Well, 4 hrs later I checked again after the lights had been on for an hour and it looked better. This morning before heading to work, it looked just fine. The new growth looks really good on both plants. More pics coming tomorrow.

That is strange.

But even stranger is your light cycle?? Well not really strange so just asking out loud here. (I had to go back in my journal to confirm mine...LOL. Post #72 way back on page 5). I had mine on 24hr cycle for 3-4 weeks then switched to 18/6 for flowering. Eventually switched to 12/12 for bloom stage. My plan going forward for the next grow will be 24 for the first two weeks then 18/6 for flowering. All in door so not sure how that will translate to your plans.

I'm now running 18 on / 6 off for veg. I'm thinking about going to 16/8 for a couple days before putting them outside for good. I don't want to do too much (transplant outdoors, top, monkey with the light cycle) to them at once.

Hey Maggie, plants are looking like they are fighting back to tip top shape :thumb: Have you got your hands on any nutrients? Or were you planning on letting these girls flower out au natural in a fresh transplant? I'm not sure exactly where you are, but I would personally shoot on getting these girls out no later than mid-July to make sure they have a good week or two of outdoor sunshine to set themselves into their new soil.. also, if you have below 55f~ at night, think about bringing them prior the cold front hitting, and also look into "Hardening" your plants from the switch from indoor to out :Namaste: Can't wait to see these girls in full bud cycle

:party:

CA, I fed them a little bit of FF Grow Big last weekend when I was guess what the problem was. No feed since then and they got their first water of the week earlier this morning. The bigger plant looked very thirsty.

No worries here about low nighttime temps until late September here. They will probably get at least 8 weeks of sunshine before starting to flower. Should I transplant first or move them outdoors permanently first? Once they are transplanted and recover from anything stupid I might do, I want to top them.

CA, I fed them a little bit of FF Grow Big last weekend when I was guess what the problem was. No feed since then and they got their first water of the week earlier this morning. The bigger plant looked very thirsty.

No worries here about low nighttime temps until late September here. They will probably get at least 8 weeks of sunshine before starting to flower. Should I transplant first or move them outdoors permanently first? Once they are transplanted and recover from anything stupid I might do, I want to top them.

Imo I would say it is up to you, and how you want to work around issues/plans you have in the future. Bigger containers are a freaking pain to move especially by vehicle in the dead of night, been a fun few days over here.

If everything was going to plan and running smoothly, I would get the girls into their final pots you want to use asap to allow for the roots to get situated, more roots = more buds. Couple weeks go by, then your in-laws show up, deal with that and afterwards you could start moving them outdoors into their hardening phase. After a week or so they should be good to go. Again, all up to you :)

Back
Top Bottom