Malawi Gold

I agree with Conradino, just be patient and wait, you have come this far. Have you checked your trics? That really is a dependable way to tell the maturity of the plant. The amount of red hairs is not as dependable, some strains and phenomenon types have an abundance of red stamens early in the budding stage.

Is the plant still producing any new growth, ie. Hairs or leaves? Also, if you question your nutes, flush her and see what happens, it couldn't hurt.

I smoked another bud this morning and it seemed to have a little more of a kick to it.

There are more and more red trichomes every day. I would say 5-10% at the tops at this point and less at the lower buds.

I might be thinking about harvesting next weekend...

Hmmm. My notes don't say anything about flushing her. I might have forgot to, or just forgot to have written it down.

No new growth. Maybe just a few new hairs down low but not many.

I flushed just the other day but did not add any nutrients. I figured even if it is not ready to harvest next week that final flushing could start now because I will probably harvest around day 88 at the latest... This is day 70 of Flower by the way...

Yea, if you are not getting any new growth it is probably time to harvest. By day 88 you should have a good ratio of amber trichs to smokey trichs. Hopefully with a good cure it will bring out some more potency.

Kind of a dumb question perhaps, but is Ace Malawi Gold a different strain than Ace Malawi?
(Yes I know I could google that, but for some reason would rather ask here)

I guess it's exactly the same. When I grew mine it was from Seeds of Africa stock.

Thanks guys. I got curious and went looking just now. As you may know, one of Ace's breeders hangs out on another grow site and I often end up there when googling Ace strains.
This same question has already come up it seems, and Conradino is right- there are not two different Ace strains of Malawi. Sounds like some seedbanks advertise it as Malawi Gold- maybe just because it's a more familiar term for the same thing, or sounds fancier.
The 'gold' part of the term I guess relates to a curing process turning it golden. In the past I've read through a few threads on the traditional method of wrapping it in banana leaf and burying it underground for months. There is a great thread on that somewhere- not on this forum unfortunately.
I'm guessing it gives it that brownish look and mellow smoke that I used to see a lot with Thai herb- kind of a fermented effect.
I'm growing Ace Malawi as well, Lazyfish. Just finishing up my first run of three females from seed and will flower out the clones of all three next round. :thumb:

They cure it traditionally in banana leaves, and yes it definitely undergoes fermentation as flow of oxygen is reduced to minimum. It catches the golden hue as it cures becoming reddish or brownish later on.

Sent from my SM-T335 using 420

I haven't been able to upload pics much lately because of internet issues but here is one I do have- a peek into the curing jar from a few days ago just after it went in. It's very frosty and makes me happy to look at. So far I've only smoked a little of the finger hash, which was wonderful.
image36293.jpg

Back
Top Bottom