Matt's 420 Grow Journel 2020

I think that part of the damage came from wanting to be uppotted, and the rest is coming from the rich soil and possibly watering too often. I would watch them for a few watering cycles and lets see if this problem progresses. Are you being sure to let the plants use all of the water in the container before you water again?

Which John innes soil are you using? There are 3 types they make, the number 1 is the best one for smaller plants, the number 2 is a bit hotter and better for more established plants and the number 3 is like throwing them to the depths of hell for a firey death.
Emilays watering advice will help you keep them happy.
I've overwatered my plants this week and they are pretty pissed with me but they will be fine after a dry period.

Which John innes soil are you using? There are 3 types they make, the number 1 is the best one for smaller plants, the number 2 is a bit hotter and better for more established plants and the number 3 is like throwing them to the depths of hell for a firey death.
Emilays watering advice will help you keep them happy.
I've overwatered my plants this week and they are pretty pissed with me but they will be fine after a dry period.
I’m using Westlands multi purpose compost with added John Innes and no 2 John innes 60%westland 20% john innes no 2 and rest perlite and I think I may be over watering them I will leave it longer through watering periods and see if this helps

I think that part of the damage came from wanting to be uppotted, and the rest is coming from the rich soil and possibly watering too often. I would watch them for a few watering cycles and lets see if this problem progresses. Are you being sure to let the plants use all of the water in the container before you water again?
I might be over watering them I will leave longer as I’ve been watering every 3 days will leave it to 5 days see if that makes a difference I think the soil may contain to many nutes and frets so it’s over feeding them

I might be over watering them I will leave longer as I’ve been watering every 3 days will leave it to 5 days see if that makes a difference I think the soil may contain to many nutes and frets so it’s over feeding them
instead of waiting a set amount of time, I want you to let the plants tell you when it is time to water. Have you tried the "lift the pot" method? When you move to this sort of system you will actually be able to "see" the roots, as they grow stronger on each wet/dry cycle you send them through, and this time between waterings will get shorter and shorter until the plants actually tell you that it is time to uppot.
Regarding the nutes in the soil... the microbes and the plants work together on that so that even though your plants are sitting in soil that could supply the needs of 3 grows, your plants will not be able to take all of that up on any single watering... But you do have to let those lower roots dry out between waterings, or they will shut down... and when they do the leaves up top show you damage like you see on your lower fans.
The lift method... look it up. It's not just me that talks about it.

I call it a droop. But before you can see that you have to have good lift, which you do not. The watering properly with a wet/dry cycle will give that to you. A droop starts happening with the lowest leaves about 12 hours before the container is going to run out of water. If you are in veg with a 6 hour dark window and you see that droop starting the day before, let them go their night period before you water again.... and know that the absolute perfect time to water is at the beginning of their daytime.
Anyway, that droop, where the leaves move from an upward angle to less than horizontal will slowly work its way up the stalk and by morning all but the very top should be drooping, if you were in that window. At the same time the droop starts, the plants will start putting out their smell... I call it a perfume pump. An alert gardener with a good nose can smell them signalling for water.
Keep in mind that a droop is not a wilt. Wilting is when the trunk actually bends. This is not good. This is such a severe lack of water that the plant can no longer maintain enough water pressure in the trunk to hold everything up. In veg, even getting to the wilt stage is not a super big crisis, the plants will bounce right back up if you catch them in time, and I guarantee you that the plant grew a lot of new roots while it was seeking out every last drop of water in that soil.
So once you get them in a proper cycle and see daily lifting up toward the light, (the cool kids call it praying) they will signal to you that they are going to need water soon. Right now, they can't do that... but give them some proper watering and they will.

I call it a droop. But before you can see that you have to have good lift, which you do not. The watering properly with a wet/dry cycle will give that to you. A droop starts happening with the lowest leaves about 12 hours before the container is going to run out of water. If you are in veg with a 6 hour dark window and you see that droop starting the day before, let them go their night period before you water again.... and know that the absolute perfect time to water is at the beginning of their daytime.
Anyway, that droop, where the leaves move from an upward angle to less than horizontal will slowly work its way up the stalk and by morning all but the very top should be drooping, if you were in that window. At the same time the droop starts, the plants will start putting out their smell... I call it a perfume pump. An alert gardener with a good nose can smell them signalling for water.
Keep in mind that a droop is not a wilt. Wilting is when the trunk actually bends. This is not good. This is such a severe lack of water that the plant can no longer maintain enough water pressure in the trunk to hold everything up. In veg, even getting to the wilt stage is not a super big crisis, the plants will bounce right back up if you catch them in time, and I guarantee you that the plant grew a lot of new roots while it was seeking out every last drop of water in that soil.
So once you get them in a proper cycle and see daily lifting up toward the light, (the cool kids call it praying) they will signal to you that they are going to need water soon. Right now, they can't do that... but give them some proper watering and they will.
Ok will give it a go

What Emilya said couldn’t be more spot on the truth, not only for new grower but even seasoned growers growing a new-to-them-strain.

I still use the “lift” method when my plants are young and generally till they are ready to be potted up to their final pots, after which they are on an automatic watering system. For strains I know well, they require very little tending, I can pretty much set-and-forget. But new strains I have to watch and let the plants tell me if I need to increase or decrease their watering schedule.

For many, “reading” your plants becomes a learned trait. For @Emilya, having watched some of her grows when I was here 5 yrs ago, and having read through some of her current MG grow, she has that talent naturally. Learn from what she has to say, she will not steer you wrong and will help you become a better grower.

Follow Emilays advice and you will be on the right track.
The best investment I made was a WiFi camera so I can keep an eye on the plants.
When it's gets close to watering time I check every few hours for the lower leaves showing they are ready for water.
My tent is hidden away so it's not practical to keep going to check the weight of the pots.
Mine are looking droopy today because I think I did a full watering too soon after transplanting to 7 gal pots.
Screenshot_20200216_143415.jpg

The best investment I made was a WiFi camera so I can keep an eye on the plants.
When it's gets close to watering time I check every few hours for the lower leaves showing they are ready for water.
My tent is hidden away so it's not practical to keep going to check the weight of the pots.
Mine are looking droopy today because I think I did a full watering too soon after transplanting to 7 gal pots.
I’m in the same situation mate my tent is a ball ache to get to so checking on them all the time isn’t good I’ve just bought a bigger tent today and made a new set up so they’ve got more room and better light and air circulation will upload some pics tonight as I’m at work now :rolleyes::( now I have room for all of my 3 plants so should be good to pot the last one up tomorrow

How much is this camera mate ??? And did you have a look at the soil what I used I used the ones that are ok no ??

I got a wansview WiFi camera it was about £30 from Amazon.
It's great as you can zoom in pan and tilt and also it gives you alarms if it detects motion or sound.

Your soil is probably a little bit hot but shouldn't be too bad.
The Westland should be fine for seedlings and younger plants.
You in future if you are buying the John innes I would go for the number 1.
The number 2 will be fine but you will have to be aware they won't need a lot of additional feed as the soil already holds a good amount.
Your plants look pretty good and if you follow Emilays watering advice and make sure they dry out before watering again I think they will be fine.

That sounds like a great camera for that price @Billpopy79 . I use WYZE cameras all around here at $19 USD direct from their website, but it doesnt have pan and tilt unless you buy their $29 model, but it is bulky compared to this little one I am using.
Mine is probably a little overkill really. It's still pretty compact, I can even talk to my plants through it, they sometimes get a few words of encouragement but they don't seem to really listen ;)

Mine is probably a little overkill really. It's still pretty compact, I can even talk to my plants through it, they sometimes get a few words of encouragement but they don't seem to really listen ;)
That's a great idea! I am going to set up Alexa to send them positive words of encouragement every hour.

As I promised my new set up I will be re potting that small photo you can see tomorrow (blueberry ghost og) before I knew my soil was too much I gave this one some nutes as a test monkey sort of thing and it’s only stunted her growth and frazzled her bottem few leafs as she’s the same age as my 2.4 week old photo that you can see on the left
36250300-5AAE-44A8-A3CB-EA954415D807.png
56A0BDE7-D76B-443C-963F-784BAF0B5302.png
93CF5A7B-46B6-46F8-89A6-6064DA04451E.png
BC758064-1634-457F-B8E8-0495C95C0576.png

Back
Top Bottom