Maybe Potassium or Calcium Deficiency, Pics - Please Help

TheDurty

I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my plant. The strain is Cali Green (I believe).

Based on a book I have and after looking at a few threads, I'm thinking it might be a calcium or potassium deficiency. Can someone please help me figure out what is going on. Sorry for the low quality pics, I have no digital camera so I'm using my laptop. The color on the tips of the plant are tan.

Photo_on_2010-03-14_at_13_21_2.jpg

The problem is mostly on the bottom set of leaves (although it has just started to show on the tips of some of the higher leaves). You can see here how they are droopy.

Photo_on_2010-03-14_at_13_21.jpg

Photo_on_2010-03-14_at_13_24.jpg

Photo_on_2010-03-14_at_13_25.jpg

This is a view from the top. The plant looks fairly healthy except for the lower set of leaves. (But if you look closely, you can see the tip of the top leaf (on the left) starting to brown.

I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my plant. The strain is Cali Green (I believe).

Based on a book I have and after looking at a few threads, I'm thinking it might be a calcium or potassium deficiency. Can someone please help me figure out what is going on. Sorry for the low quality pics, I have no digital camera so I'm using my laptop. The color on the tips of the plant are tan.

Photo_on_2010-03-14_at_13_21_2.jpg

The problem is mostly on the bottom set of leaves (although it has just started to show on the tips of some of the higher leaves). You can see here how they are droopy.

Photo_on_2010-03-14_at_13_21.jpg

Photo_on_2010-03-14_at_13_24.jpg

Photo_on_2010-03-14_at_13_25.jpg

This is a view from the top. The plant looks fairly healthy except for the lower set of leaves. (But if you look closely, you can see the tip of the top leaf (on the left) starting to brown.

flush it and no nutes yet .your tiny plant has plenty from the soil you have it in so far. in a week start giving her half strength nutes with some h2o2

I have not given them any nutes at all yet - only what is in the soil which is Roots Organics and I am giving them Distilled Water.

soils contain nutes also . was she put in a nuetral soil or out of a bag you bought at the store...some of those are really high in nutes, id check the soil and leach them, wait for the signs she gettin better ..

Ok, I will just flush them more thoroughly I guess. The top leaves still look very healthy and the plant is growing at a great pace. Does anyone think the nute burn is something to worry about, or, as the plant starts getting bigger, will begin to correct itself?

Organic soild tend to have more nitrogen in them than regular soils and that maybe the problem. There are soils specifically made for clones and seeds. You're better off to start with them and once they get a foot tall or so transfer them to the bigger 3 gallon pots and your soil.

I appreciate the help from everyone. I just planted a couple seeds to experiment with before I get my room fully going. So I'm glad I am making some of these mistakes with basically bag weed.

Just a couple questions: If the soil itself is rich in nutrients, will I really be able to flush it out enough so that the plant is able to survive? Will this plant be able to make it through this period of nute burn until it is big enough to use all of those nutrients, or will it just keep browning until dead?

yes she will make it the leaves that are bad will not get better , all you do is flush your grls ( leach ) and wait a couple days give 1/4 strngth nutes then after a couple days repeat the process youll get nutes to your plant and still relive the soil of acess salt buildups.

ok so i read u gave them no nutes...when planting into a hot soil a good rule of thumb is to pre flush the soil once or twice before you plant or transplant! the lighter the run off the better!!!

I appreciate the help from everyone. I just planted a couple seeds to experiment with before I get my room fully going. So I'm glad I am making some of these mistakes with basically bag weed.

Just a couple questions: If the soil itself is rich in nutrients, will I really be able to flush it out enough so that the plant is able to survive? Will this plant be able to make it through this period of nute burn until it is big enough to use all of those nutrients, or will it just keep browning until dead?

No, not really, not with organic soils. How can you flush out what is part of the soil itself?

Flush, to me is an overused buzzword and just seems to be the latest 'thing' to do, needed or not.

I do leach, which is basically a heavy watering to a decent run off (say~30%), occurs. This pretty much keeps any salts from building up and just about eliminates any need for a flush.

A lot of problems are created by just giving your plant little 'sips' of water, rather than a good heavy watering and allowing to dry out. Not only does it allow salts to build up, it creats dry spots in the medium and screws up root development and uptake.

The plant should eventually grow large enough to handle the nutrients in the soil and thrive and kudos to you for using bagseeds to learn on.:bravo:

Don't get all excited about the K.I.S.S thing.:peace::peace: The Keep It Simple Stupid is an old acronym and good to follow.

I use de-chlorinated tap water. Tap water itself has a lot of the micronutrients in it. If not, you can get something like the Earth Juice Micro Blast that will supply all you need. They are called Micro or Trace elements for a reason, extremely small amounts are needed. Distilled, or RO water have none.

Do an online check of your tap water, it may be just fine for your plants. I know mine is and all I do is use some de-chlorinating drops from the pet store. MJ even requires small amounts of chlorine, very small.

Good Growing!

DD

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I hadn't checked in on the thread in a little while - I can't seem to figure out how to be emailed when there are replies.

Anyway, both plants look good. I think what the issue might have been was the pH level of the water. I was not pHing it before I watered the plants and once I tested it I realized that I needed to raise the level. I don't know the exact pH level of the water before b/c I have a cheap general pH tester right now but it was between 5.5 and 6. Now it is between 6.5 and 7.

I also recently started giving them some nutes. The plants seem to be growing pretty well. There are some concerns I have, but I'm not sure if they are a big deal or not. 1 of the plants (it is a Snow strain I believe) has purple streaks kind of running up the stem. Also, on the Cali Green plant, some of the branches are pretty yellow (at least they look that way compared to the brand new growth on top).

I still don't have a camera but I might put some laptop pics up tomorrow to let everyone take a look.

I did do something incredibly stupid today and hope there won't be any lasting problems, but I dropped a large sun umbrella on to the tray w/ the plants and it knocked over and sort of bent some of the branches on the Snow plant. There are no breaks anywhere on the stem or branches, but some of the branches are now a little droopy. I guess this will heal itself, but do you guys have any recommendations for how to help her heal a little quicker? Should I turn off the lights for a few hours (I'm giving them 24 hours of light)?

Thanks for the help!

lol all you did was use a different word for the word 'flush'...errr derrr

Back
Top Bottom