Micromegas' Perpetual Autoflower Grow

micromegas

Howdy everybody,

IMG_35735.jpg

Intro to meself; I am a medical marijuana patient from Michigan, after almost a year of buying from dispensaries, I've decided to give growing my own a try. I have grown a couple outdoor plants with what I would consider decent success, but I basically just let mother nature do it's thing. I have never grown indoors before, and am certain that I have much to learn.

Considerations; I didn't have a space anywhere in my house to convert into a grow room, nor did I have the means to build a grow room that would be worth building. I live in northern michigan, and growing outdoors isnt much of an option for half of the year, so for now, I am using an old "Shed." This is important to note because it is small. The "grow room" has roughly 64 cubic feet under the lights, 4'x4'x4', for the plants to live.

IMG_35667.jpg

Me Goal; I would like to be able to supply my own organic medicine, so that I don't need to buy from dispensaries and care givers, while saving money of course. I also need to grow with very limited space.

Me Plan; I am allowed to have 12 plants. Considering my limited space, My plan is to grow autoflowers only, with horizontal trellis netting, limiting height growth to exactly 48 inches above the floor, not soil. My plan is to plant 2 seeds every other week. In other words, I'll have 6 sets of 2 plants of different ages. With an average harvest time of 10 weeks, a set of 2 plants, should be harvested before the 6th set is planted, for some strains, as early as the 4th or 5th set. This means, that, once the cycle has had time to complete itself, I should* have a constant harvest of 2 autoflower plants every other week, or a plant per week, which should be more than enough for me, I will hopefully even be able to make some edibles. This is of course, all theory, and will probably not go as planned. For example, I am bound to encounter a male, which will of course eliminate 25% of one months supply. I shall cross that bridge when I come to it.

Me Equipment: My "grow room" is a plywood shed in northern michigan with no insulation. The shed has a gable style roof that supports two small lights nicely. I say small because to fit two, they realistically must both be shorter than say 20 inches. I could have one massive light, up to 4 feet, but I feel more comfortable having two heights for my plants which will be of different stages.

IMG_35507.jpg

Lights-1)I have an 800watt LED that I just purchased. It's a King Plus, with 10w LEDs and it had really good reviews and is a relatively small unit for 800watts.
2) Right now that is paired with a 250 watt cfl, that I used to use on my bonsai trees. It will soon be replaced by a 400 watt hps, which I think would be a good combo with the LED for autoflower?

Cycle-I run 20 hrs on/ 4 hrs off.

Environment- 1)Temperature control. I have a small ceramic heater, which has a thermostat set to 79 degrees. The midwest tends to be rather humid, and the shed seems to maintain 30-35% humidity, without my help. The floor is lined with rubber, the plants are sitting on trays which are sitting on a heated mat.

IMG_35478.jpg

Nutrients&Container Size- Right now I have 6 inch ceramic pots. I may switch to larger cloth containers however, I don't want to encourage tall plants, I want to encourage bushy plants. Im using
1)Roots Organics-Buddha Grow
2)Roots Organics-Buddha Bloom
3)Roots Organics-Trinity Catalyst
4)Great White-Mycorrhizae
5)Organic Potting Soil-Fox Farm happy frog

Seeds-I have purchased a number of strains of autoflowers seeds. All of which are feminized*. The strains include:
1) Lemon Haze
2)AK47
3)Berry
4)Blue Dream
5)Bubblegum
6)Caramelicious
7)Mystery pack, which will be grown outdoors in the summer.
My plan is to grow 2 of each kind, rotating through. Is this a poor decision to mix so many strains in one grow room?

IMG_35579.jpg

Future Considerations; I realize that having up to 10 plants in 64 cubic feet is a bit ambitious. So I have a small closet which I am currently converting into a small sprouting/sexing room with my soon to be replaced 250 watt cfl. This will not only relieve my fears of a male insurgent, but also the fears of overcrowding the ladies. I could keep the 4 youngest plants, up to a month old, in the sprouting room, leaving only 6 plants in the shed. I will have pictures when I finish.

IMG_35698.jpg

Right now; I have 4 plants going, 2 are caramelicious and they are one week old, and I have a 2 week old lemon haze and a 2 week old ak47. These are in tiny containers, which was my first rookie mistake. OOps. I might transplant them when their roots are stronger, but I realize i've probably damaged yield regardless. I also realize this contradicts my "every other week" plan already, however since caramelicious supposedly finishes rather quickly(under 8 weeks), It should not interfere with the 12 plant limit, it is simply to get off to a quick start, as far as self sufficiency. Today I planted 2 auto berry seeds, which I germinated over night in the fridge. So in 2 weeks I will plant 2 more seeds, probably some blue dream.

Unfortunately, i'm not off to the best start, but I think i'm finally ready to delve into this stuff, and hopefully with your help, i'll come out ok in the end. Looking forward to looking forward.

-micromegas

safety note: the wires are secured to the roof, away from the ballasts, they are merely hanging next to the lights in the photos because I had just adjusted their height.

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom