Mixing light types

d42zero

Hi!

I have two plants going in a 1200x1200 (4'x4') tent with a 315w LEC... when I did my defoliation at the flip (3 days ago), I left all the bud sites and growth tips intact rather than trimming off all the bottom ones like I did last time. Here's what I've got right now:
20200310_173344.jpg

You can easily see in this photo that the canopy above is shading a lot of the lower growth... the upper area is much brighter than the lower area. In all the defoliation literature I've read they talk about removing lower growth so you only have bud sites along the top 2/3 or so of the plant, so that the lower ones don't grow larfy. I don't really mind if I get a bit of larfy stuff so I'm going to leave the lower sites and see what happens, if I get the same yield from the uppers plus a bit more popcorn stuff then that's ok :)

Anyways my question is - can you mix light types? I'm considering adding 100w or so worth of CFLs around the sides of the plants, maybe one 25w attached to each corner of the tent... I would put these about level with the top of the pots to give the lower sites a little more light. Considering I'm running one 315w light, an extra 100w could go a long way as it's about 30%. I'm aware CFL is less efficient than LEC, but even if it's HALF as efficient that's still an increase of 15% which isn't terrible!

Do you think this would be worth trying? Are there any reasons not to mix different types of lights?

Back
Top Bottom