MVortex's Perpetual Thread For A 4x4 Tent & RDWC

Autos will do really well in that set up for sure

I'm tempted to do em, just as a comparative grow since I have the same ones in promix.

But I dunno if I want to double up on what's already growin.

Yeah I’ll go with photos but wen u do run autos there going to look like phots in ur system

I know, right? Which is what's tempting.

Ain't flipped the coin yet, not the time.

The leak on the reservoir water level indicator seems to be ok now. Hasn't dripped a drop in 24 hours. So that's good.

Not sure if I have a drip on the pumps bulkhead in the res (feed line to the pump) or not. I ran the pump yesterday, and did notice a little moisture around the res bucket. However I was also fucking with the water level bulkhead and dumped a cup or two worth. So not sure if it was that or the res bulkhead. It could also be condensation, since the water is pretty cold, but the ambient humidity/temp in the main space (not grow space, the room itself) is 42% and 66F. Not sure that would get condensation going, and if so it should be in more than one specific area.

While the pump was off in the past 24 hours, there was not a drop dripped. I had paper towels straightened out and put one under each of the two ridges in the bucket bottom, and they were bone dry. I also had one under the water level indicator, and a thick rolled one by the pump bulkhead. Those were also bone dry.

Now the pump is back on, has been for about 2 hours now. It seemed ok when I last checked about an hour ago, but I will be checking it again after I post this up. Fingers crossed.

One thing I've noticed, and maybe it's just the way it is, but with the pump running, the water level in the res bucket drops by 1.5 to 2 inches, and the water level under the net pots increases about 1/2 an inch.

With 3" pipe, I wouldn't have thought that would be the case. It's not an overflow danger, just a slight difference in water level. I'm wondering if the "hump" pipe might have an air pocket inside it? I don't recall that being mentioned when researching this type of build, but maybe that's just how it is. I dunno, but I need to look into that with a quickness.

Provided everything goes well overnight, I'll be starting the germination process tomorrow. Still not decided, but probably going to do the photo run. Might put in Orange Sherbert instead of Blue Dream (which is already growing in the "lab" tent).

Looking like:

- GDP
- Candyland or Durban Poison
- Blue Dream or Orange Sherbert
- Strawberry Lemonade

Have to read through all those again, and match against what's already going. Effect-wise, I think there is probably a good bit of overlap.

For example:

- Six Shooter and Granddaddy Purple are probably similar, as both are heavy indica KO types.

- Blue Dream and Orange Sherbert are probably similar, and the evening/social/semi-chill.

- Mexican Airlines (growing in lab), Green Crack (growing in lab), Super Lemon Haze (growing in lab), Candyland, Strawberry Lemonade, and Durban Poison are similar. Not all the same, but similar overall type/effect. All daytime, motivational, get shit done strains.

Needless to say, need to narrow it with a quickness. Guess there is no time like the present, after a drip check.

Also, on tap for delivery tomorrow is a matching lid for the reservoir, two temp controlled outlets, and a 200w heater for the night shift to keep it from dropping under 65F. (I picked up the daytime heater locally yesterday.)

That should be the last "part run" overall, minor niceties aside.

Ain't flipped the coin yet, not the time.

The leak on the reservoir water level indicator seems to be ok now. Hasn't dripped a drop in 24 hours. So that's good.

Not sure if I have a drip on the pumps bulkhead in the res (feed line to the pump) or not. I ran the pump yesterday, and did notice a little moisture around the res bucket. However I was also fucking with the water level bulkhead and dumped a cup or two worth. So not sure if it was that or the res bulkhead. It could also be condensation, since the water is pretty cold, but the ambient humidity/temp in the main space (not grow space, the room itself) is 42% and 66F. Not sure that would get condensation going, and if so it should be in more than one specific area.

While the pump was off in the past 24 hours, there was not a drop dripped. I had paper towels straightened out and put one under each of the two ridges in the bucket bottom, and they were bone dry. I also had one under the water level indicator, and a thick rolled one by the pump bulkhead. Those were also bone dry.

Now the pump is back on, has been for about 2 hours now. It seemed ok when I last checked about an hour ago, but I will be checking it again after I post this up. Fingers crossed.

One thing I've noticed, and maybe it's just the way it is, but with the pump running, the water level in the res bucket drops by 1.5 to 2 inches, and the water level under the net pots increases about 1/2 an inch.

With 3" pipe, I wouldn't have thought that would be the case. It's not an overflow danger, just a slight difference in water level. I'm wondering if the "hump" pipe might have an air pocket inside it? I don't recall that being mentioned when researching this type of build, but maybe that's just how it is. I dunno, but I need to look into that with a quickness.

Provided everything goes well overnight, I'll be starting the germination process tomorrow. Still not decided, but probably going to do the photo run. Might put in Orange Sherbert instead of Blue Dream (which is already growing in the "lab" tent).

Looking like:

- GDP
- Candyland or Durban Poison
- Blue Dream or Orange Sherbert
- Strawberry Lemonade

Have to read through all those again, and match against what's already going. Effect-wise, I think there is probably a good bit of overlap.

For example:

- Six Shooter and Granddaddy Purple are probably similar, as both are heavy indica KO types.

- Blue Dream and Orange Sherbert are probably similar, and the evening/social/semi-chill.

- Mexican Airlines (growing in lab), Green Crack (growing in lab), Super Lemon Haze (growing in lab), Candyland, Strawberry Lemonade, and Durban Poison are similar. Not all the same, but similar overall type/effect. All daytime, motivational, get shit done strains.

Needless to say, need to narrow it with a quickness. Guess there is no time like the present, after a drip check.

Also, on tap for delivery tomorrow is a matching lid for the reservoir, two temp controlled outlets, and a 200w heater for the night shift to keep it from dropping under 65F. (I picked up the daytime heater locally yesterday.)

That should be the last "part run" overall, minor niceties aside.
My reservoir is 1" lower when the pump is running. The hump must add enough resistance that the pump @ 400 GPH outdoes the flow in the 3" pipes.

Thanks @Dano999 for that!

Good to know I’m not looney (at least over that.)

Now I am about to be looney over the pump itself. It has a leak on the outflow side. Well I tried snugging, didn’t help. Backed it off a tick, thinking it could be a seal pinch, and the fecking orbit pvc-lock above it started dripping.

Not sure where to go with that now, so I turned the pump back off for now. Gotta think it over a bit before I make a small issue a larger one.

The front piece of my pump came off as I was re-positioning it. Water everywhere. While I was putting the hose clamp on the tubing I must have turned and loosened it. That was the reason I chose to put the pump inside the reservoir.

I hard plumbed mine. Used 1/2" MPT x 3/4" slip fitting.

Used the recommended o-ring, etc.

Just came up and at least it's not near as bad with the pump off. Still going to get some water on the floor overnight, but not a whole lot. It's concrete, it dries. Put down some towels just in case, and then wadded paper towel around that area.

Not 100% sure how I'm going to handle it. There are several options I guess.

Going to have to take out that one orbit elbow for sure. Will put a regular elbow and glue it, for starters. Of course that loses the ability to take it apart right there, so will have to add a flex coupling on the pump side of the elbow so I can connect/disconnect the pump.

I may do the same in a couple other spots. Or something like that. I dunno. Might go back to my original plan and use a tee as an elbow, and plug the unused side. Still gives the cleaning access, and then with a strategically placed coupling or two, I can get it apart when needed.

At least the store(s) are opening early tomorrow, but too bad they'll be freakin packed. :rolleyes:

Right now trying to think how I can do this without completely draining the system. A gallon or two leaks out, I'm alright with that.

I think if I cut and cap (temporarily) the line from the res to the pump, that should hold that side. Then if I cut the other side of the pump between the elbow and the pump outlet, I can catch the water on that side in a pitcher.

But hey, the water level indicator isn't leaking. :laugh:

The fix I have decided on is to keep the run into the pump basically as it is now.

From the pump into the tent, and up to right before it splits I'm going to say fuck it and use flex hose. I was going to take out the orbit elbows, use tees in their place, blah blah blah. Screw all that. I'll use a tube and replace it every couple of grows.

Anything else that leaks is meeting my can of flex seal/glue/tape. :rolleyes:

The fix I have decided on is to keep the run into the pump basically as it is now.

From the pump into the tent, and up to right before it splits I'm going to say fuck it and use flex hose. I was going to take out the orbit elbows, use tees in their place, blah blah blah. Screw all that. I'll use a tube and replace it every couple of grows.

Anything else that leaks is meeting my can of flex seal/glue/tape. :rolleyes:
Nice sensible solution mate. That hose is pretty cheap. Just make sure you actually replace it every few grows or risk having the problems I just went thru.

Well, let me tell you about one of the absolute dumbest ideas I've had in a while.

Going to the store for a "quick part run" on black fucking Friday. I mean, I figured "it's just Mendards, no biggie right? Maybe a tick more crowded, but the masses will be at the other types of stores."

Wrong. Oh, so stupidly wrong.

Checkout line was 2 hours long. I watched Dazed and Confused, and started in on 2010 while waiting.

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

On the lighter side of sports, I managed to get the connectors I needed, and can now go look at the pump situation and fix the issues.

Yep, 2 hours in line for less than $3 of parts. :rolleyes:

So I'm thinkin through about what to do with the line from the res to the pump.

I say this because as soon as I go to fix the outlet, well, that pump isn't stopping water from the inlet. I think I can plug the bulkhead internally, at least 99% which is close enough, by using a 3/4" mpt x 3/4" slip at the bulkhead, then running an elbow and extension tube to above the water line. It might drip a tick, but should hold just good enough that I can mess with that line for a few minutes.

The line runs from the res into an elbow and turns right. This puts it running parallel to the side the bulkhead is on. It then gets to the corner and hits an orbit elbow (the snap lock, push fit kind) and turns right again to go into the pump.

I wasn't going to mess with this line, other than a little seal on the bulkhead externally. However, I think I'm going to abandon the orbit fitting all together. If one started dripping that easily, then that leaves me little confidence in them for the long term.

What I would like to do is cut the line and use a solid elbow, then put a union between that elbow and the pump. This will provide the take down/apart access that the orbit fitting was providing. I have a flexible bottle brush, so an elbow or two isn't going to be terrible. I could also use a tee as an elbow, but whatever. I may not sweat it.

The plan for the outlet side remains the same. Swap out to a barbed fitting, and then run tubing through the duct and into the tent, joining up to the hard plumbing just before it splits to run into the buckets. While doing this it will also give me the opportunity to slightly adjust that hard plumbed pipe, by tweaking its connected unions, and angle it so that the tip where the tube joins in is just slightly angled up. We're talking that joint maybe being half an inch higher than the rest of the pipe. Enough to get the water to drain that direction when the pump is off. It might not fully clear the line, but it at least would help when I need to undo the tubing.

(Yes I'm stalling on cutting the pipe. Not looking forward to the forthcoming mess. Helloooooo wet vac! :laugh:)

Oh, the new res lid showed up. Just what the doctor ordered.

Well, some handled the procrastination for me. Now that the honey do’s are through ( :rolleyes: ) I’ve made the first cut in the fix. Not a drop came out, so good there.

Forgot the bulkhead was slip x slip, so didn’t need the threaded coupler. Piece of pipe into the bulkhead, into an elbow, long pipe above the water line. Will it hold? Not under pressure, it shouldn’t do more than drip.

Next cut will be on the outlet side of the pump, as close to that first elbow (that started leaking) as possible.The minimal amount of water that could be between there and the first cut will fit in a pitcher. So that’s good.

Third cut will be the moment of truth, and biggest potential for a small mess. That’s the inlet side between the reservoir and pump. Will be cutting between the first elbow from the res and the orbit fitting that turned the line towards the pump.

So far so good.

And the only water lost was from my hands putting the “plug” in the return line bulkhead.

How?

3CED220F-6628-426E-A753-DB738A8B511B.jpeg

Rigged up my wet vac to suck the water out of the plug, which sucked it out of the rest of the line. :D

Getting ready to fix the inlet side of the pump, and then boil some water to put the tubing in.

There is a catch to using the tubing as well, but a good one. Has to do with the pump outlet fitting...

All the gluing and related pieces completed and now curing. Only thing left to be back in business is connecting the tubing, which will happen shortly. Taking a break first, for a little dinner.

Will be using pipe clamps (the band things that screw together) on both ends as an extra precaution. Won't over tighten, but just snug em up.

Then a little sealant around the outside edge of that bulkhead as a precaution (it very well may have been from the pump issue, but we'll see) and we'll be set to try the water pump again.

Sitting idle, no leaks. So thankfully the return bulkheads and pieces are good. Also need to leak test the top off res, but thinking about making it bigger as it's only 12 gallons. I do have a 17gal available, which I think should fit on the stand I built. Wondering if it might be the wiser option?

Also thinking (or maybe overthinking) the suction through the res. Now, the 3" return comes in on the north side in the center, and the pump sucks out on the southwest corner.

Considering using a little pipe inside to let the pump draw water from the SW and SE corners to try and mix up the water a bit more. Will think on that a bit more. Nothing I can't add in a few days if desired since it's just pushing a little pipe and fittings together, no glue.

Back
Top Bottom