MVortex's Perpetual Thread For A 4x4 Tent & RDWC

Had a minute earlier this morning, and was able to cut two lengths of pipe.

Working on the supply line, from the direction of the reservoir, I cut the connection piece for the bulkhead to the elbow, and the length from that elbow to the next corner.

For reference, the return line comes into the long side of the bucket which is on the "north" side. The supply will pull out of the left/west side. So elbow #1 gets us headed north along the west side, and then elbow #2 will turn us towards the east to meet up with the pump, which will then send the water up into elbow #3, which will turn it into the tent, where it will go and meet up with elbow #4 to turn back left/west, and into elbow #5.

Elbows 2, 3, 4, and 5 will all be orbit pvc-lock fittings to make taking it apart for cleaning much easier. Elbows 2 & 3 also have one side connected to the pump, which will make for disconnecting the pump much easier if needed.

I'm thinking I may be able to get that sorted during the day today when I take a break here and there. One of the benefits of a home office, huh? :D

So back to it, that's only 3 spots to glue (both sides of elbow 1, plus the bulkhead connection), which isn't squat.

I haven't added the elbows on the supply lines inside the buckets yet. I'm still thinking on that. I've wanted/tried to keep the supply lines the same length to each bucket to try and help the flow stay as close to the same in each bucket as possible.

A straight piece of pipe isn't much of a deal if one is a few inches longer. It's the number of fittings that can make a big diff though. On one of the buckets (bottom left that connects to the res) the supply line could be better. It's not terrible, but not optimal for circulating the water.

I'm thinking of adding a second elbow to turn it towards the spot. Effectively into the bucket, into an elbow, then the final elbow downspout. If I do that, it may reduce the flow just a bit to that bucket (a tick more head height because of the 2nd elbow, where the other 3 buckets have just 1.) I think with also having two return lines coming in which will both for certain be flowing in since it's the res bucket, that having a slightly decreased flow (we're talking maybe a couple gph, so not significant) shouldn't really be a deal breaker.

It comes into the bottom right corner of the bucket now, and I'm going to turn it back towards the back right corner. I think the improved position of the supply entering the water there over the bottom right corner should improve the overall mix in that bucket, and make up for any minor differences in flow rate.

I may do something similar for the front right bucket too, but not completely sure yet. I may not do any of it at all, I dunno. Still thinking that part through.

Since it's in the bucket at that point, I'm tempted to skip the glue on the internal fittings. If a fitting drips, so what?

I don't think the pressure from the water would be able to push the fitting off, but I guess it could over time. (As I hear Morgan Freeman remind of "pressure and time"... :laughtwo:)

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Made some progress last night. Yay!

Effectively, all that is left to do is:

- set up drain (small pump and hose run to the drain)
- water leak, circulation, and operational test
- test ATO
- hook up air to the res and ATO res
- hook up the Blue Lab (once water is fully in the system)
- clean up/straighten up my chaos! :rofl:

Couple minor things I want/need to do, but aren't crucial to startup:

- swap out 3-way outlet in tent for power strip
- get circulation fans mounted and wires ran
- water level indicator on the top-off res
- add check valves to all air lines
- install ventilation for filtered exhaust
- better seal up the plumbing duct port, maybe a towel or something squished in there

- think about heating (overnight, I'm ok with 64-66, but need more during the day and the light really isn't going to heat much up.)

So, what did I get done last night, you ask?

95868246-CE49-4218-9DE6-B2EA514A6A4F.jpeg

3C84FC7D-A4AB-40A3-B1D6-AFC69A0278C4.jpeg

35E6C4ED-06AF-4EEF-A138-1D6C94AF6647.jpeg

All the plumbing is done, even have the clean-out caps (3) in place!

All the airlines are ran, and hooked to the pump. The air pump is sitting in the basket behind the ATO res, and I may move it to it's own spot on the peg board. Not 100% sure on that yet.

The air pump for the res and ATO res will be up on the board for sure, so it's higher than the ATO water level.

I'm thinking through an idea at the moment for locating my ratchet hangers. Follow me with this for a minute, and I'll try to explain it as best I can.

Right now, ran in a standard fashion, drawn all the way up I've still got about 6" of room at the top. By the time you account for each hook and the ratcheting piece, there you go.

To correct that, I am thinking of connecting the plain hook end to the light. Then running that over the top edge bar and down along the side.

So, where to hook it so it's safe and secure, but also long enough to get the light down close enough for small vegging plants so I can run it at a much lower setting?

I think I can take some line (I have some high strength mason line that is great for everything, lol) and make a loop of sorts. I can secure it to the bottom rail, and then hook the ratcheting end to that. That puts the ratchet part about 2ft or so off the floor, makes for easy access, and there ya go.

That should then allow for the light to be within an inch or two of the tent ceiling, leaving just enough room for air circulation and cooling. :)

Other minor "todo" list stuff:

1) Find a better oriented clip for the fans, or rig something up.

The clip itself is fine, but forces a horizontal mounting. I'd like to find another way so I can hook it to the corner pole, and not a horizontal bar. I think I may be able to use an L bracket, but will need to see first. If so, I'll need some bolts and wing nuts.

2) Consider alternative airline run.

Thinking about running it up and out the top electrical port on the back of the tent instead. No real reason other then one less cord/wire/hose running along the side to trip over.

3) Consider a drain valve for the nute mixing can.

Would have to make some type of support stand for it though. Using a submersible pump is probably the better option though.

Finally, strain selection!

I'm thinking I could mix up the run from my original plan if I wanted to, since I already have the following from FastBuds going in promix in the "lab"...

- Six Shooter
- Blue Dream
- Green Crack
- Mexican Airlines
- Lemon Drop (Canuk, not FB, and is an auto of Super Lemon Haze)

Originally, and mentioned at the start of thread, I was planning on:

- Granddaddy Purple (60-65 days flower)
- Blue Dream (9 weeks flower)
- Candyland (8-10wk flower)
- Strawberry Lemonade (60-70 days flower)

I also have available:

- Orange Sherbert (Barney's Farm, 60-70 days)
- Durban Poison (Dutch Passion, 8-9 weeks)

Another twist, I also have more of the auto's from FB too. Which wouldn't be a bad way to break-in the system, as well as do a comparative grow against the lab setup.

The only real cross over is blue dream, although effect-wise they are all real close.

- Six Shooter similar to GDP (nighttime KO punch, lol)
- Blue Dream to Blue Dream (evening)
- Blue Dream kind of similar to Candyland (evening)
- Green Crack/Mex Airlines similar to Strawberry Lemonade (daytime)

Orange Sherbert is an evening, and DP is a daytime, IIRC.

Will probably be sprouting seeds tomorrow or Friday...

Knocked out a couple smaller ticket items over a lunch break.

First, replaced the 3-way with a proper power strip.

EC832967-D34D-4F0A-87EF-83FFB8EA2090.jpeg

Next, made the change to the ratchet hangers.

BC703184-97D0-453F-B3EA-FC4BABE5D65A.jpeg

97D9F310-5E57-4A43-BCE4-F375E55B543C.jpeg

Ended up I had some chain laying around (new) going unused. So I took a good zip tie (rated for 150lb) and used that around the bottom pole on each side, one per chain. Zip tied one end of the chain to the pole, and then used a chain connector link on the other end (so the clip would fit.)

That puts the ratchet part below the canopy for the most part, and as the light needs raised, I could move the connection link lower down the chain if need be.

I tried it out and it puts the top of the light right at 2" from the top. Good enough for me.

Bout all I have time for today. Got a couple girls that need a little snip snip, if you know what I mean, but that's another thread. :D

Forgot one other little thing I took care of as well earlier; I added a zip tie on the cross bar to keep the rope for the light from creeping in and out to the edge where I want it to stay.

Trying to decide when to water test. I may drop seeds tomorrow, as well as water test.

If I drop seeds tomorrow, that gives me at least 2 days before anything sprouts, and probably a few more.

When I water test, I don't really want to have to drain it and refill if I don't have to so I'm not wasting water. But I also don't want to leave the water in there just circulating for nothing for a week.

All that said, maybe drop seeds tomorrow and then water test Friday. If the seeds pop, they'll be ok in the rooter under the dome for a day or two. That tap root will shoot out of that rooter pretty quick though.

One thing I could do, since the net pots have that riser in the middle, is just put the net pot in a seedling tray with a little water in the bottom. Then just pop the net pot in and go when it's ready to rock.

Hmmm....

Still not sure on which strains specifically to drop, either.

Made some progress last night. Yay!

Effectively, all that is left to do is:

- set up drain (small pump and hose run to the drain)
- water leak, circulation, and operational test
- test ATO
- hook up air to the res and ATO res
- hook up the Blue Lab (once water is fully in the system)
- clean up/straighten up my chaos! :rofl:

Couple minor things I want/need to do, but aren't crucial to startup:

- swap out 3-way outlet in tent for power strip
- get circulation fans mounted and wires ran
- water level indicator on the top-off res
- add check valves to all air lines
- install ventilation for filtered exhaust
- better seal up the plumbing duct port, maybe a towel or something squished in there

- think about heating (overnight, I'm ok with 64-66, but need more during the day and the light really isn't going to heat much up.)

So, what did I get done last night, you ask?

95868246-CE49-4218-9DE6-B2EA514A6A4F.jpeg

3C84FC7D-A4AB-40A3-B1D6-AFC69A0278C4.jpeg

35E6C4ED-06AF-4EEF-A138-1D6C94AF6647.jpeg

All the plumbing is done, even have the clean-out caps (3) in place!

All the airlines are ran, and hooked to the pump. The air pump is sitting in the basket behind the ATO res, and I may move it to it's own spot on the peg board. Not 100% sure on that yet.

The air pump for the res and ATO res will be up on the board for sure, so it's higher than the ATO water level.

I'm thinking through an idea at the moment for locating my ratchet hangers. Follow me with this for a minute, and I'll try to explain it as best I can.

Right now, ran in a standard fashion, drawn all the way up I've still got about 6" of room at the top. By the time you account for each hook and the ratcheting piece, there you go.

To correct that, I am thinking of connecting the plain hook end to the light. Then running that over the top edge bar and down along the side.

So, where to hook it so it's safe and secure, but also long enough to get the light down close enough for small vegging plants so I can run it at a much lower setting?

I think I can take some line (I have some high strength mason line that is great for everything, lol) and make a loop of sorts. I can secure it to the bottom rail, and then hook the ratcheting end to that. That puts the ratchet part about 2ft or so off the floor, makes for easy access, and there ya go.

That should then allow for the light to be within an inch or two of the tent ceiling, leaving just enough room for air circulation and cooling. :)

Other minor "todo" list stuff:

1) Find a better oriented clip for the fans, or rig something up.

The clip itself is fine, but forces a horizontal mounting. I'd like to find another way so I can hook it to the corner pole, and not a horizontal bar. I think I may be able to use an L bracket, but will need to see first. If so, I'll need some bolts and wing nuts.

2) Consider alternative airline run.

Thinking about running it up and out the top electrical port on the back of the tent instead. No real reason other then one less cord/wire/hose running along the side to trip over.

3) Consider a drain valve for the nute mixing can.

Would have to make some type of support stand for it though. Using a submersible pump is probably the better option though.

Finally, strain selection!

I'm thinking I could mix up the run from my original plan if I wanted to, since I already have the following from FastBuds going in promix in the "lab"...

- Six Shooter
- Blue Dream
- Green Crack
- Mexican Airlines
- Lemon Drop (Canuk, not FB, and is an auto of Super Lemon Haze)

Originally, and mentioned at the start of thread, I was planning on:

- Granddaddy Purple (60-65 days flower)
- Blue Dream (9 weeks flower)
- Candyland (8-10wk flower)
- Strawberry Lemonade (60-70 days flower)

I also have available:

- Orange Sherbert (Barney's Farm, 60-70 days)
- Durban Poison (Dutch Passion, 8-9 weeks)

Another twist, I also have more of the auto's from FB too. Which wouldn't be a bad way to break-in the system, as well as do a comparative grow against the lab setup.

The only real cross over is blue dream, although effect-wise they are all real close.

- Six Shooter similar to GDP (nighttime KO punch, lol)
- Blue Dream to Blue Dream (evening)
- Blue Dream kind of similar to Candyland (evening)
- Green Crack/Mex Airlines similar to Strawberry Lemonade (daytime)

Orange Sherbert is an evening, and DP is a daytime, IIRC.

Will probably be sprouting seeds tomorrow or Friday...

DROOL,!!
Are there side panels you can open on your tent to tend to the back buckets ? If not it's going to be a challenge? Looks great ! ❤️

DROOL,!!
Are there side panels you can open on your tent to tend to the back buckets ? If not it's going to be a challenge? Looks great ! ❤

Thanks!

I can fully open the front (obviously), as well as the right side completely if needed. That's 3 of 4 plants. That last one, in the back left corner, I can get to through a nice sized access point in the back. (It's a 4x4 gorilla, for reference.)

Can't open the left side fully since the plumbing is running through the duct port there, but can open it enough to reach the left side of the front plant without issue, and a little bit of the back left, but not much. Easier through the back on that one. Would be a nice feature if there was an additional zipper from the side, bottom duct ports to the front of the tent, so the side could be fully opened when the duct is in use. Not a real big deal though.

Love the bucket lids. I need to get some for my next grow.

They're sturdy as hell, and easy to get on and off. Snug, but not ridiculous.

The access panel with the wire/tube run ports is nice, but you'll want to tape over them once you're set. I thought they did kind of a light trap zig zag, but they don't. Not a huge issue, but you would think they would either provide some type of plug or something since they know better that you can't have light leaking to nute water.

Nothing a little white gorilla tape can't fix, but shouldn't need to, IMO.

Still solid lids, and wouldn't let that deter anyone though. :)

------------

Forkin ventilation...

My exhaust is going to be from the top right of the tent. Either right on top, or the top side. Not 100% sure yet. Either way, that means the intake should be in the bottom left. I would typically use ducting, snake a few turns in it, and boom. Passive intake with light trap. No problem.

However, there's plumbing in my duct port and the fan is on the right side (outside) of the tent. There is an intake vent there, but I'm not a fan of using those with photoperiods during flower. I could build a light trap, but really isn't the space for doing so with the res and top-off res/stand being there.

I'm going to check and see how well I can stuff and cinch up the duct with the plumbing and a 6" tube in there, but I'm not holding my breath. If there were another duct on top, instead of just the one in the back right of the ceiling, it would be better. Don't really want to come out the top left duct, and do a U turn to go across the top and back down, either.

Options...

a) Run duct through bottom right duct and across floor.
I don't really want that running across the floor, which is already crowded with just the buckets and a little plumbing.

b) Run duct from top left, straight down to floor.
Don't want it in the way of the canopy growth, but would technically work.

c) Try adding the ducting to the duct port with the plumbing.
Not sure if I can get it sealed up well enough.

d) Use the tent's passive intake on the left side.
Most likely option, but need to think of a light trap that is pretty thin since it's crowded there too. Probably cardboard and duck tape is the name of that game.

This thing holds 45 gal at a 1” under the net pot water level?

Care to venture how I am aware of this fact? And yes, it’s a fact.

B29990C8-5495-4A15-8331-C981BC294A26.jpeg

C48E31A6-9436-4EB6-A80D-EE3703BC6C97.jpeg

8A431358-5C3A-445D-AAB9-4C49C28A35EF.jpeg

we’ve got waterrrrr!!!!!!

Dicking with one minor drip at the moment, so far. It’s the water level indicator on the res. Had to add a couple pipe clamps, and been slowly tightening the bulkhead about 1/8 a turn every bit and waiting.

It drips about a drop every couple min, so it’s getting close to being good I think.

Dicking with one minor drip at the moment, so far. It’s the water level indicator on the res. Had to add a couple pipe clamps, and been slowly tightening the bulkhead about 1/8 a turn every bit and waiting.

It drips about a drop every couple min, so it’s getting close to being good I think.
:woohoo:

When I was putting up the netting this morning I noticed small puddles of water on the tent floor. At first I freaked out until I noticed there was a lot of condensation on the sides of the buckets and it was dripping on the floor due to the chiller.

very very nice setup, incredible attention to detail! i am going to copy a few little things for my next build.

And how did you measure your water ? Exactly 45 gallons is impressive!
What is your water supply ? Did I miss that part? I would have to install a ro system ekk.. I couldn't imagine carrying water bottles Hahahah
Looks great!

:woohoo:

When I was putting up the netting this morning I noticed small puddles of water on the tent floor. At first I freaked out until I noticed there was a lot of condensation on the sides of the buckets and it was dripping on the floor due to the chiller.

I can imagine the frustration, just to find out it's condensation. Not funny, but funny. :laugh:

very very nice setup, incredible attention to detail! i am going to copy a few little things for my next build.

Thank you! It's been a bitch of a fight to get water in a bucket. lol

I'm happy to share anything I can, so go for it!

And how did you measure your water ? Exactly 45 gallons is impressive!
What is your water supply ? Did I miss that part? I would have to install a ro system ekk.. I couldn't imagine carrying water bottles Hahahah
Looks great!

Thanks!

45 is where I stopped it. It might be a 1/8th of an inch off give or take on the water level, but the gallons are right. Used a water meter. :)

Water supply is tap. It's good enough. I'm not trippy gaga over RO and all that. I do run it though a basic filter, but I'm not overly worried about it.

Omg killer over here brother so ur running now

Thanks brother! We're lining up for the starting gates. Just gotta finally decide which of my seeds I'm gonna pop.

Granddaddy Purple (Ken GDP)
Blue Dream (Humboldt)
Candyland (Emerald Triangle)
Strawberry Lemonade (Barney's)
Orange Sherbert (Barney's)
Durban Poison (Dutch Passion)

Also have auto's, all from Fast Buds:

Six Shooter
Blue Dream
Green Crack
Mexican Airlines

Original plan was GDP, Candy, Blue Dream, and Strawberry Lemonade.

Was thinking about maybe slipping in the Orange or Durban.

Now if I could just get this damn drip to stop. Stupid barbs. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom