My first grow attempt! Suggestions open

turbotech

hey guys finally found the perfect site that will help me guide through my first grow as I smoke on regular bases for many different reasons. i am here to learn and open for everyones opinion to make me a better grower. I had built my own grow box out of ply wood. the box measures 4ft long by 4ft wide by5 ft tall. making it 70 cubic ft I total.. I painted the inside of the box flat white. added a bathroom exhaust fan on top. planning to have 8 w cfl daylight cfl which have 1800 lumens a piece, I will also add 4 more around the sides..all this for veg as ill switch to softer cfls and add 2 150w hps bulbs along with the cfls... I plan to grow 4-6 plants. I am going to mount 2-3 small 6 inch fans on the sides....

my questions are:
is the box big enough for 6 plants..and of course indice for small growth
is the lights enough light
will the fan air circulation be a lot of problem since the box is in my room and my room stays at temp 68-76% and 30-50 humidity...
not too concerned with smell..
I jst wanna make sure I have enough spce for 6 plants and enough lights..
:thanks:im open to every suggestions and ideas as to upgrading my box..i am not a expert and I am jst learning little by little everyday.
20131203_181359.jpeg
20131203_181341.jpeg

So u say to go with daylight cfl for flowering too? Cuz im goin 18/6 then when I change to 12/12 im goin to add two hps bulbs in the center along with rhe cfls On the side.Prayin they come bushy and heavy lol

I will be germinating them withint the next 2-3 days thinking bout making a joirnal jst to get everyones help and input you kno. But ill see how it goes if u wanna jump in on the ride. Ill be posting up pics freqiently as soon as I get the hang of this lol

cool DIY fixture!!! ... in the end I would not run the CFL's with the HPS. Even though the plants would enjoy the additional light you may develop heat issues with the addition of the HPS. I would shut them off simply to save on energy costs. HPS will do a fine job all on its own.

Yes... do start a journal, I am poor at following but others are not and can help a lot

Good Luck

edit -- if you are going to put 6 plants start them 12/12 very soon into veg... couple-three weeks even.

thanks bro. i figured it was so easy to make this decent sized box so I figured why nt build it lol.. but u think ill b fine with 2 150W hps bulbs? and without the cfls? I thought the more light the better since cfls dnt produce too much heat I figured it would b in my advantage and the hps would help it even more. cuz I will add 2 or 3 6inch fans mounted around the sides to kepp air circulating arouond..

thanks for everyones opinion and looking forward into making a journal if I can get the enough help..which I kno I will..this site is pretty helpful and cool

BUCKSHOT: if I change to 12/12 in veg like u said will It mess as far with my yield and quality? cuz I was goijn to flip 12/12 by week5-6

Hello and welcome to :420: You have chosen the perfect website for learning how to grow. Cfls give off more heat than you think. My first grow was with cfl and in my small closet my temps were always on the higher end. Then there are hps. These baby's really put off heat. Especially with 2 150 watts. If you plan on sticking with your plan I would ddt more exhaust to your system. You have the right idea though, more light the better. Those little bathroom vents prolly won't keep up. Also I am going to assume that you have a way of closing the system up. Aka a door of some sort for the front. You will need to make sure that your box is light tight. Do you have any air intake??? This is just as important as exhaust. You can do a passive intake (just a whole that air can flow into) or with intake fans. Either way you do it you want to make sure that you put some type of screen over the hole to prevent little bugs getting into your space. Pantyhose is cheap and works great. Well I hope my 2 cents helps. Ps great diy setup. Reps coming your way my friend.

outragedpluto: yes I do have a door that goes to that that will keep everything ligt tight..if worst comes to worst I will add another bathroom exhaust somewhere around50cfm or 70 somewhere around that arrange if one isn't enough... for the intake I was thinking on making alil hole on the bottom side and put a small pc fan or two to keep constant cool air coming in with one of them dryer hoses that u can bend so light will sip through...I really dnt kno how much problems ima have as far as temp but I will add or do whatever until I can keep temp where it needs to be...considering I am trying to save energy costs so I figured cfls would b my best way...

BUCKSHOT: if I change to 12/12 in veg like u said will It mess as far with my yield and quality? cuz I was goijn to flip 12/12 by week5-6

maybe :cheesygrinsmiley:
These plants get big quick when they go 12/12 they will double or even triple in size by the time they stop growing and are only budding. Then you will only have decent bud where there is light... the canopy. You can fill the canopy with 1 or 10 plants you will still only get decent buds... on the canopy. If you give each plant some elbow room it will give you more bud. So the ideal thing would be for each plant to have enough room to fill in its given area without being crowded and have the canopy filled. You then have to guess the size you need to go 12/12 with to achieve your goal.

ill do alil more research and reading if I cnt find anything I may go with your advice..really not trying to guess if I dnt have to lol..jst wanna make this grow thru the whole nine yards stay on schedule with my plans so I can expect good results :)

Sounds like you have everything in order. I do want to give you something to think aaa out though for when you switch on your hps lights. I run a 400 watt (100 watts more than yours) hid light. And right now I'm running my metal halide light. The amount of heat given off by my light is enough to heat my tent to a toasty 85 and my bedroom ( which is big, 12feet x 20feet) to 75 degrees. And I even have a window fan pumping cold air from outside into my bedroom. And my light is a fully enclosed vented hood. I am even going to have some heat issues when I switch to hps because hps gives off a lot more heat than mh. Are your hps lights vented??? If so than that will help a lot.

I here is a link to a thread that can answer almost any question. And it's a good read lol.
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Also, you should look into scrog for later in your grow. Your box seems to be a great area to get some great scrog results. All it is is a grow that has a large screen between your plants and your lights that your plants can grow into.

in case I dnt get it ventilated and I jst happen to drop the bulbs in and let em hang from a chain attached to the socket, ill add a lil fan blowing into them if not ill pay high dollar for the ventilated one and install it... really haven't set my mind in that part as far as with the hps...if I hvaento get a ventilated one I will if not ill jst hang two with a chain from the top

i was actually looking into scrogging bro for sure..now that u brought it up to my attention since u said my space is ideal for that..ima look into that because tha really is something ive had in mind but i dnt kno one thing how to do it lol..

in case I dnt get it ventilated and I jst happen to drop the bulbs in and let em hang from a chain attached to the socket, ill add a lil fan blowing into them if not ill pay high dollar for the ventilated one and install it... really haven't set my mind in that part as far as with the hps...if I hvaento get a ventilated one I will if not ill jst hang two with a chain from the top

Even the cheaper winged air cooled hoods would work great.

Back
Top Bottom