My First Grow - Is This Normal?

Mark30g

IS THIS FEMALE???
What i'm growing: 3-4 inch Kusch:@Week 4 half.(It's Very Fluffy once dry) and 10 seedlings 1- 1 half inch:@week 1(Going to take my pick out of the best 4-5)

My first Grow, my set-up..Tent size 1 by 1 by 1.6 meters. I'm using a HPS 600w Dual Spec, Carbon Exhaust and fan. Also i got 2 oscillating fans 1 at the top of tent on low, the other 1@bottom fanning the canopy(soon to be lol) I'm using bag seed just to get to grips with it all, I'm glad as my inline fan broke 3days ago and since then my humidity levels have dropped. I have got a metal big pot with water and have recently hung up a wet towel and got the bottom of towel inside the metal pot of water. I just recieved my inline fan today (Super.fast delivery) i'm buzzin as everything is set-up, I have also re-potted my seedlings which are 1 week old and are showing there second set of leaves, TBH i'm TOTALLY fascinated with the way The Cannabis Plant is growing through it's cycle of life HOW AWESOME!!!!. I love wildlife/nature totally amazing. Also need to reduce the noise of my inline fan(or is this me being Paranoid PMSFL), Also i've noticed my big plant starting to smell more than usual, Could this be flowering of some sort as the first 2weeks were growing under V.poor conditions (windowsill job). Since being under the lamp it's just growing bushier but not taller and this must be good news?? I hope. More pic's to come and would appreciate all your comments and advice thanks v.much..:welcome: :thanks:

20111205_071527.jpg
c56721.jpg

Hope you can help me as i'm not sure if it's female, But it's really bushy

Looks like it got a slight/early signs of a nutrient defeciency or even burn... as it shows some symtoms on the older leafs.

I was wondering what type of nutrient feed you have for your plant ?

Ooh no, really. Which 1? the biggest1? it looks like light of my phone cam lol, But i'm using Formulex 1st feed at beginning of the week then 3-4 days later i've used Plant Magic root stimulant. I am waiting on a delivery P.Magic Bloom(well 3 of them,i won't use bloom until i no for definitively that the top picture is a female(but i'm sure it/she is just not 100% yet) i'm also waiting on the Oxy 1 Pot DWC system and also the Atami Wilma 4 pot drip feed and i am totally excited as i won't big yield and fast grows lol. Don't ask why i have bought the 2 for but(more money than sense i think) lol besides i was thinking of buying the P.Magic Old Timer to use as well. I wasn't going to put the biggest plant in any of the new hydro's as it/she has been under 600w HPS lamp 4 wks Thurs, but she was sprouted from seedling under poor conditions airing cupboard night window sill day lol and she gone real bushy since. Also have about 10 seedlings and there growing there 3rd + 4Th inter-nodes and was thinking of putting them in the hydro's, I am hoping they'll be here wed/Thurs but not sure which media to use all rock-wool or a lil bit rock-wool then the rest clay pebbles. Also what Nutrients are you having successful yields with and which would you recommend:ganjamon::ganjamon::ganjamon::ganjamon: as i no the P.Magic is for the soil and if that's true then i will need to get more wouldn't i?? And thanx for your help.
:ganjamon:

1st photo if you look careful the leafs show signs of discolouration all most pale brown, with some edges of leaf with a faint brown tint to them it could be poor lighting when photo was taken but some how i got a gut feeling...

Its more than likely a common defeciency or 2, the brown tinting to the leafs slightly makes me uneasy with a decision on which one it is ?

Lets look at nutrient burn, which occurs by mixing up to much nutrient per litre of water basically over dosing ya plants a tad. This can be cured by flushing soil/growing medium of harmful build up of salts from over feeding & correct level of nutrients then applyed.

Rule of the thumb when feeding young plants is 1/4 or 1/2 strength nutrients to prevent burn.

Nutrient defeciency which i suspect it may be.

As far as i can gather you have feed your plants with formulex which is a reasonable low NPK & trace micro/macro nutrients, now MJ is a hungry plant & i suspect that the formulex is not delivering as much nutrients as you hungry little plant needs to develop:morenutes:

When your other nutrients arrive & the plant has been feed it will correct it self in a few days time.

Alternatively it could be PH problem causing nutrient lock at the very worst, as you have not stated growing medium used presently, hard or soft water and whether the formulex is neutral balanced PH when added to water ? which may require a PH up or down to adjust ! just some minor points which need to be addressed...

Personnally i don't think what ever nutrient used/brand name creates big yields, yes it may help a little bit. But i find its creating the ideal enviroment for you plants to thrive in & some training techinque's:thumb:

As for choice of growing medium thats an individual choice, i once considored NFT & rock wool, wilma with coco/perlite & even hydroton clay pebbles, but i could not be bothered with the constant PH testing Ec measuring & flushing of nutrient tanks every 7 to 10 days...

I myself being involved with horticulture/gardening for nearly 2 decades, i know where i stand with a bit of old dirt :peace:

That picture was last week i'll put a recent 1 up of her, and thanks for the heads up.
Grow Media, B'cuz light mix and my Ph levels are always between 6.0 to 6.5, i hope she sorts her self out after a normal water fee. Also why is it one must feed a MMJ something like nuts, water, water, then nuts, where as hydroponics seems to have nutes all the time?:morenutes: is this right then?. Ill post some pics then it'll help decide on my next step which is either a normal water feed or a flush? And thanx again for your advice:adore: i really appreciate it:thanks:

Hello Mark30g a new pic of the plant would be very nice :thumb:

With hydro systems which require a water tank/reserva a constant nutrient feed is essential as plain ol water has very few minerals/nutrients, well it has some but not enough to support a healthy plant.

The plant then can take what ever macro/micro nutrients from the feed solution as & when required, hence the need to change/flush entire tank with a new nutrient mix every 7 to 10 days.
As plants will use more macro/micro nutrients more than others ! which will eventually lead to lock outs and defeciencys. ( just don't over feed em with hydro)

I think with soil, mainly due to being fortified with nutrients by certain brand names which can last/be present for several weeks, that with watering with a 1/4 to 1/2 strength feed will help prevent nutrient burn & aid in any nutrients in lack off.
I'm also lead to believe nutrients sit in the soil a tad longer due to high levels of organic matter leading to plain water being used every other feed cycle, this would also prevent any undue nutrient burn as it allows for the plant to use remaining nutrients up.

Lock Outs.

Normally assoiated with adverse PH levels according to which growing medium used, NPK macro/micro nutrients all have an optimal PH level which they can be absorbed by the plant. Going under or over these levels decrease absorbation rate leading to defeciencys.

Also of note, that most macro/micro nutrients need a certain balance of each other to make them work so to speak, having to high levels of certain macro nutrient can lead to lock out of another.

Example to much Ca - calcium can lead to Mg - magnesium lock out creating a defeciency.

I hope this helps a lil :peace:

curious as to what ur light cycle is? If u are still running 24hr or 18/6 u wont be able to tell definitely till u change the cycle to 12/12. That is always a draw back to planting bag seeds. u never can tell unless u see those precious first hairs popping. good luck to u and i will be crossing fingers for u and some beautiful baby girls. :thumb:

20111209_113058.jpg
20111209_113015.jpg
20111209_112832.jpg
20111208_1547551.jpg
20111206_135453.jpg
20111208_154755.jpg

New pic's:welcome: :thumb: Have transplanted 4wk veg(from seeds) into my hydro set-up, but i decided not to transplant the biggest1 as i only transplanted last week, I filled my res up 20 littre and used a 3rd strenth Nutes P.Magic root stim Formulex, oxygen silicon and my Ph levels are @ 5.4 - 5.5(i've just orded a trucheon wand/ppm/cf/ec reader) so fingers crossed. And thanx for the information really appreaciate it. I also went to my local hydro store and pick up Dutch Pro A+B hydro bloom but as i never put my big MJ in the hydro i decided not to use it but once she needs feeding i'll be using P.Magic root stim and bloom additive as there soil nutes. Hope i'm doing ok as this forum is the only way i can get advice. Less ppl that no the better lol. Thanx again for your helpful advice bro :goodjob: :thanks: and :peace:

curious as to what ur light cycle is? If u are still running 24hr or 18/6 u wont be able to tell definitely till u change the cycle to 12/12. That is always a draw back to planting bag seeds. u never can tell unless u see those precious first hairs popping. good luck to u and i will be crossing fingers for u and some beautiful baby girls. :thumb:

I have been running 12/12 for 2 wks now but my others from seed as well are 4 wks old( so they would ov only been 2wks when i turned, thinking bout it i should've waited for a week) And thanx for having faith bro appreaciate it. Just posted some pic's from 2day.:thanks: :peace:

Looking sweet Mark30g :welldone:

I see the girls have picked up & looking healthy now.

By the way, whats the name of those plastic bending things on the larger fan leafs ? been after some think like that for awhile now...

hey mark all good man, always trying to help out. Few things, first are u dealing with height or area restrictions cause i would def veg a bit more before blooming. Are u familiar with topping also, if not it is a very good way to make ur plants really bush out and grow big.first plant is my purple princess mom she is not topped, second is my afghan kush mom which is topped, notice the difference in the growth of lower limbs and the top of the PP.Really helps alot with growth and creating more tops for the plant and ur final total medicine. =)
WP_002680.jpg
WP_002686.jpg
Last thing when u break away big leafs it looks like u are cutting them off the plant! There is alot of extra growth there and that can easily promote rot or disease in the plant. There is still stem there and in my past experience there will be some nutes still hitting that part and it will slowly die away leaving the chance for disease. what i would suggest is taking ur pointer finger and gently lay it on the top of the leaf at the stalk and with thumb and middle finger support the stalk. gently but firmly pull down and it will snap away. at first u may be a bit nervous but i promise u will get sooo comfortable with it it will be second nature and u will be able to 2 hand do it with multiple branches. i find this to be the best way cause the plant will secrete water and plug its own whole and wont cause disease. Also i think it leaves the plant with less stress than cutting. Scissors also can have bacterias on them if not properly cleaned( 70-99% rubbing alcohol). Hope some of this helps out and check my current grow, today is day 1 of bloom so there are gonna be alot of pictures posted on my training methods and also methods i use to grow. take care and u are doing great my friend =):goodjob:

Hey Fuzzy thanx for the replies and them bendy things are called Bendz from ebay £7 odd. There really usefull aswell they have helped loads and the new shoots are sprouting lovely now. I've just received my DWC 5gallon and im really thinking to put her in there any suggestions m8? Also what would i use for grow media? either stick with soil and let her roots dangle! Or try and massage the light mix soil (the last lot the roots were stuck to the peat/the hair strands thingy lol) Thats why the 1 plant is alot smaller and her leaves wilted very bad and they didn't come back round. They started turning of colour and drying out so i cut them of but new growth is slow?. Adjusting to nutes maybe?:morenutes:? I should ov only used a half strength or even 1/4 but bear in mind i have been using Root stim since seedlings so i just need to keep track of things like a chart writing things down which i should be doing lmao. I'll be waiting for7-10 days and they'll be starting the Dutch Pro A+B and maybe the p.magic additive bloom boost, some new pic's. Also your bubble grow looking good bro. :goodjob: :thanks: for all your help and opinions well appreciated :high-five:
20111210_175533.jpg
20111210_175539.jpg
20111209_175145.jpg
20111209_175128.jpg
20111209_175156.jpg
20111209_1751281.jpg
20111210_175512.jpg
20111209_1751451.jpg
20111210_175517.jpg
20111210_175507.jpg
20111210_175521.jpg
20111210_175559.jpg

I've not grown with DWC myself yet, but i think you will find people start their plants in rock wool cubes may be even jiffy pellets allowing for good root growth before placing into net pot and packing clay pebbles/hydroton around cube.

If i got the gist of ya post, removing the soil from around roots has more than likely shocked the plant & if transfered to a different growing medium can be very tricky indeed, it may return to good health in due time ?

Alos it could be saved by placing back into soil & singing to your plant :;): after all you can always take cuttings for rock wool cubes for DWC.

If ya after a good mother plant its best to select from a good strong female plant which shows little signs of potential problems, ya get a feeling for strong plants over time & observation of them :thumb:

Its quite an ambitious 1st grow you have going on & a reasonable steep learning curve when trying to master different grow techinques, i wish you the best of luck meh ol china :peace:

Many thanks for popping by & visiting my own grow of bubbleicious :thanks: I'm discovering that MJ is some what temperimental in nature & prone to hissy fits from time to time... rofl

Hey DJ, well not really my height is 1.6 so y/n! and it's my width really tho 1by 1 meter2 so thas my problem(aswell as i wanna get a flat as not ideal lol, but i want some weed and if i do 2 grows maybe 3 a year i'd be happy, not)lol. Anyway as i say i i'm limited as to of noise from inline fan! so i thought i'd keep it on 6 till 6 which i'm debating to have it on from 7 till 7. But do NOT want to mess the oldest1 up so unfortunately i need to keep it at this maybe 14 but that would push it got to sort that noise but cash flow is low till afte xmas and i was think to buy the silencer to reduce the noise, But i have topped one of them and maybe again but would like your thoughts. Also my DWC has arrived and am not sure to put the bigg un in what you think? So you think if i don't cut them stem shorter i could have probs is it? thanx for the help :peace:

I use a Systemair 125 L1 (5'') fan for extraction 24/7 as my plants are stinky even in veg & find the noise level no worse than a hair dryer on full blast.

I've heard of people making custom made silencers e.g a card board box to fit around fan & expanding foam, never tryed it yet, but i'm half deaf in one ear... lol & the neigbours haven't complain yet of any noise pollution.

From ya description i think you have budbox at 1.6m in height i would imagine you have about/around 1 meter/3 to 4 feet of actual height for growth (estimated) with wilma, fan/filter & lights all in their.

• Indica strain of plants normally double in height/stretch once put into flower.
  • Sativa strain of plants may triple in height/stretch once put in flower.

I believe most people put their plants into flower around the 12 to 18 inch in height (aprox)

Topping & pinching can be both forms of stunting growth height on a tempory basis, L.S.T can prove effective also.

I would leave the larger plant in soil as DWC requires a different growing medium all together.
As for topping again... well that just delays growth whilst it regenerates again providing you leave enough branchs on the plant for bud sites & cuttings if required then theirs no real problem...

If this plant is intended for a mother a separate tent may be required in the near future & selective prunning should be applyed for maximum cuttings aviable.

Back
Top Bottom