My First Grow Journal - SWC - Tips & Advice Welcome

Re: My first grow journal (SWC), in need of helpful tips/advice.

So here's my update with pictures as promised, everything is going along well, the plants in coco are as always doing amazing(except for the smallest one, its growing surely but slowwwwww) as always, One of them grew a fucking inch in height today, was unexpected, the plants in hydro are recovering little by little, the roots are growing, brown spots on old roots still remain, new roots are all white, still running Dutch Master Gold Zone at advanced strength, (12 ml/5 gal). There is not much growth in height(unfortunately) BUT, I think they are starting to flower? xD. If I'm correct they will be midget plants haha, I took some pics guys please tell me, they are white long hairs sticking out of the top.

Temperatures have been steady, only thing is that water temp rose to 73 since I lowered the total amount of water, I'm hoping Dutch Master does its thing and protects the roots at those temps. I'll try to find a way to cool down the water a bit more. Humidity is also hard to raise, my 240 cfm exhaust fan is recycling the air in my contained 13-14 times/minute. Most moist air gets sucked the hell outta there in a second lol, while waiting for my humidifier my girlfriend found something similar to what I ordered in CVS Pharmacy for 20 bucks cheaper, I put it inside and it didnt really do much. Although the thing releases a decent amount of mist, it litterally gets sucked right out right infront of me lol. Today the one that I ordered came, it seems a bit stronger than the one from CVS although its the same size. I will see how the humidity does in about an hour.

Specs:
Air temp 77
water temp 73
humidity 30
ph 6.0
ec 0.6
ppm 330

Here are the pics:
IMG_027430.JPG
IMG_027528.JPG
IMG_027630.JPG
IMG_027730.JPG
IMG_027828.JPG
IMG_027930.JPG
IMG_028022.JPG
IMG_028126.JPG
IMG_028227.JPG
IMG_028331.JPG
IMG_028424.JPG
IMG_028526.JPG
IMG_028631.JPG
IMG_028728.JPG
IMG_028823.JPG
IMG_028924.JPG
IMG_029030.JPG
IMG_029122.JPG
IMG_029220.JPG
IMG_029318.JPG
IMG_029414.JPG
IMG_029521.JPG
IMG_029623.JPG

Hi guys Smoq here, sorry been laggin on any updates but been coming home extremely late to do any kind of posting, my life's been wake up, work, sleep. Today got off a bit early so had time to post a lil update on the ladies. Unfortunately, the plants in DWC have not grown a cm.....but their roots have. The roots r groving a lil more each day, but the plants are still staying the same exact height, no new growth. white hairs sticking out the top. The plants in coco are flourishing :)). They have also started to flower up, Im gona order my carbon filter in a few days for the plants are already starting to smell. I believe I gave one of them a slight nute burn, for one of the leafs tips tirned bright yellow and curled just a bit.
Question:
The stems of my plants are all pointing up and so are the leafs, but some of the tips are drooping just a bit(to the point that one would wonder is that really drooping? or the weigh of the leaf is weighing down the tips just a bit?).
Also, I have noticed some small brown spotting on some of the leafs on the other plant, Ill try to include them in the pics. Is that some sort of deficiency? All the photos taken are with my iphone and its flash, sorry guys but i don't have a camera like that :D.

Thanks guys rly appriciate any feedback.
IMG_029721.JPG
IMG_029822.JPG
IMG_029924.JPG
IMG_030124.JPG
IMG_030519.JPG
IMG_030622.JPG
IMG_030722.JPG
IMG_030827.JPG
IMG_030921.JPG
IMG_031023.JPG
IMG_031117.JPG
IMG_031216.JPG
IMG_031323.JPG
IMG_031419.JPG
IMG_031522.JPG
IMG_031617.JPG
IMG_031717.JPG
IMG_031824.JPG
IMG_032015.JPG
IMG_032126.JPG
IMG_032221.JPG
IMG_032322.JPG
IMG_032423.JPG
IMG_032626.JPG
IMG_032827.JPG
IMG_032925.JPG
IMG_033027.JPG
IMG_033123.JPG
IMG_033327.JPG
IMG_032322.JPG
IMG_032221.JPG
IMG_032423.JPG
IMG_032626.JPG
IMG_032827.JPG
IMG_033027.JPG
IMG_032925.JPG
IMG_033123.JPG
IMG_033327.JPG
IMG_033434.JPG
IMG_033536.JPG
IMG_033625.JPG
IMG_033720.JPG
IMG_033821.JPG
IMG_033921.JPG

Chronic weekend to you Smo :thumb:

Hey guys Smoq here, so I'm posting this quick update with some better pictures of the issue. The plants got me a lil worried couse I noticed some spotting on the leafs,(leafs that are about in the middle, not youngest leafs and not oldest leafs). Also better pics of what I think is nute burn? But im posting to ask you guys what you really think it is.

Current specs:
air temp 71
water temp 64
rh 54%
ec 0.7
ph dropped a little bit to 5.7, raised it to 6.0(plants in hydro, which have their roots growing more and more but the size of plants is staying the same.)
ph in runoff from coco coir is 6.4

yesterday I watered the plants with plain 6.0 ph water, today i watered them once more with ph'd water and cal-mag.after today im not gona water them for 2-3 days to see how they do.

Here are the pics.
This is the plant that has the spotting that I'm concerned about. Could it be because when I watered the plants the last few times some of the water got directly on the leafs?
IMG_036033.JPG
IMG_035926.JPG
IMG_035828.JPG
IMG_035722.JPG
IMG_035625.JPG
IMG_035518.JPG
IMG_034623.JPG
IMG_034416.JPG
IMG_034225.JPG
IMG_034026.JPG

And here is the plants that I think got nute burned, but please let me know if I'm wrong, the tips that are discolored are dry.
IMG_035326.JPG

I'd go with minor nute burn. Have you been feeding them anything? If you have I'd try backing off a bit and consider flushing. Autos are incredibly sensitive to nutes. I'm not a soil expert I'm sorry, but one thought is are you also pH-ing the water and making sure the pH of the soil is right? It's less precise than hydro but does still need to be in range (and it's a different pH range to hydro).

This is a great thread and worth reading: Cannabis Plant and Pest Problem Solver - Pictorial

The roots on your DWC plants are recovering nicely mate, good work.

Hey GK! Yeah nute burn is what I thought, Ive been watering them with 6.0 ph nutrient solution 1/4 strength canna aqua vega, and 3ml/1g calmag, same as the plants in hydro. Im using Canna Coco Coir, nothing else, its a soiless medium, and on its instructions it says to water the plants daily with both A and B fertilizers. I watered them in the beginning everyday, then switched to every other day because someone here mentioned that coco retains water pretty good so no need to water it so often, just to make sure im adding cal mag every time for thats what coco coir lacks. For the past two days i watered them with plain ph'd water(6.0) until there was a little runoff, I tested the runoff and on both plants it came out to be 6.4. I'm not gonna water them for maybe 2 days to see how they do, today I saw more growth, but also the effected areas which I took pictures of yesterday seem more yellowish(at least under the LED light). New growth does not seem affected yet. The roots in hydro grew some more lol, the plants still remain at about 1- 1/2 inches tall, they are 34 days old xD we will see how they end up. I'll also be changing out the water today.

GK I read that pictorial maybe 10 times by now, this one and another one posted on a different website which is very similar to that pictorial. The plant that got nute burned is pretty obvious that it got nute burned, but the other one I cant figure out, the CLOSEST thing that I can compare it to was to a PH Fluctuation problem, same marks on leaf as mine, BUT, I know for a fact that the ph has been 6.2-6.4 ever since I put them in there. So I'm totally lost :( I'm thinking it might be a case of nute burn or like I said maybe those leafs got wet while I watered the plant and thats what caused it).

Also I read up about the Canna nutes, I guess I'm using the wrong ones with coco coir, I'm supposed to be using Canna Coco A&B, instead im using Canna Aqua Vega A&B, so that may also be a problem, Ill have to stop by the hydro store after work to change that.

I have also ordered a copy of The Cannabis Grow Bible, gonna try and get as much info from there as possible.

I forgot you're using coco I'm sorry mate. I don't have enough experience with it but I think it's more like hydro in its pH range. If the runoff is coming off 6.4 it might be a little high, but I'm not sure. Certainly in hydro with a pH of 6.2-6.4 it would be locking out nutes. I'd get advice from Vick or another coco grower in relation to pH and what they do. Using Canna Coco nutes will probably make a big difference as they'll be specifically formulated for your medium.
The nute burn will be fine I'm sure with a flush. Autos are so sensitive to nutes, if you think you're giving them low strength nutes often you can go even lower. They're fussy things.

Yeah I'm trying to lower the ph just a bit, for the past 3 days they didnt get any water, today I watered them with ph'd water and calmag, so far new growth looks fine, but just a few very small spots in random places on the leafs. Tomorrow is christmas day im almost 100% sure the hydro shop is closed but ill still give it a try

Other than that the plants are still growing, im gona have to do my box extension very soon, couse the plants are reaching about 12 inches away from the LED.

The plants in hydrop r still breathing(somer how) roots are still growing, one of them got a bit bigger, raised its leafs up atleast. The others r still the same, but roots growing, bright white.

Hello 420 forum, I have not gotten around to buying the correct nutrients for coco just yet, but today is the day! I'm going to extend the box another 20 inches in height, I'll take pix before and after, the plants are getting taller every day and are already getting too close to the light, less than 12 inches away for sure. Everthing else seems good, the plants in hydro are growing but very slow, but still growing, looks better. The plants in coco are also thriving, one of the plants that had all those spotting on leafs still has hem and some new spotting apeared on newerr growth, but much less of it. It seems like every time I add nutrients the plant gets burned, this plant in particular. I am feeding them 1/6 strength nutes with 4ml/gallon calmag and dutch masterr for root health.

Will post pictures tonight after im done with the box, will raise the light higher too.
Thanks for those who visit and read and happy new year :)

Hello aLL! Sorry for the long update time but I just have not had much free time lately. The box extension project didnt happen until 2 days ago, but it happened and looks good, much easier to access everything in the box now, and much more room for the light to be raised. The other day the carbon filter came, and the way I installed it is I have the air being blown into it and out of the box, I will show on pics, the smell has gone away 100%. The plants are doing good(except for the nute burns :( ), some of the plants in hydro have begun growing a bit, although a bit irregularly, you will also see on pics lol. The plants in hydro have stopped growing, some of them began drooping, I thought I might have over watered them but after a few days of not giving them water the problem did not resolve itself, I then read about plants being root bound and its symptoms, seemed to fit the match. Went to a hydro store and got some 2 gal buckets(netted on the bottom a bit), I would get 3 gallon buckets but considering my current setup they wouldnt fit, 2 gallons fit just perfectly. While relanting the plants I took a pic of one of them, but thats how all of them looked, pretty root bound. I did not cut any parts off or anything because I dont know how to do that yet and dont wana damage the roots, I just replanted them as they are. 24 hours later all of them have resumed growth, all leaves went up, no more drooping, I have also went and bought some Canna Aqua Flora, since all of the plants are in flowering atm. I read around and it seems I can keep using Canna Aqua nutes for the plants in coco, their isnt much difference I just have to keep adding cal mag with it. Ill see how that goes, If it keeps giving the plants nute burns even if I'm using them at 1/4 strength ill go get ome canna coco nutes. All specs have been very steady for the past two weeks, air temp staying between 72-77, humidity varies, but im trying to keep it low for the flowering stage, when the humidifier was in there it started to build mold on one of the plants leafs, I took it out and the mold is slowly going away, I have a fan blowing on the plant. Still waiting for my cannabis grow bible, cant wait to read it.

And here are the pics:
IMG_038021.JPG
IMG_038121.JPG
IMG_038218.JPG
IMG_038319.JPG
IMG_038420.JPG
IMG_038519.JPG
IMG_038623.JPG
IMG_038722.JPG
IMG_038821.JPG
IMG_038923.JPG
IMG_039025.JPG
IMG_039122.JPG
IMG_039223.JPG
IMG_039326.JPG
IMG_039424.JPG
IMG_039526.JPG
IMG_039619.JPG
IMG_039719.JPG

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom