My first grow

johndough210

well i have posted before trying to grow indoors, but recently i have changed my strategy to growing outdoors. the seeds did much better outside than in, they are approx. 2 - 2 1/2" tall and it's only been a week since i put the seeds in the soil. for soil i'm using garden soil with a mound of peatmoss and perlite on top to start in. after that i covered the entire area (garden is approx. 2 1/2' x 5') with cocoa shells, as i heard they keep in moisture, plus cats dont like the smell either. i also bought some seabird guano (and was kind of mad that i paid $8.95 for a 2 lb bag of birdshit) and sprinkled it in too. plants seem to have liked it.

a couple of questions though: where i've planted there are a couple of oak trees nearby and pollen and leaves fall into the garden. i get the leaves out, but the pollen is harder. this won't hurt anything i hope? also, it seems there are a lot of what look like houseflies and pillbugs around the garden, are they going to hurt anything?

i'll get pics as soon as i get a hold of a camera.

laters.:bongrip:

I wouldn't worry about pollen. I'm glad to see the outdoor grow too!

ok an update, i went out to the garden and saw one of the seedlings laying on its side. i decided to uproot it, seeing as how it was a straggler. i tried to splint it but it wouldn't take, so i pulled it. and then there were 4. good thing is though of the 4 i have left 3 are very healthy looking. i gave them a nice misting due to it being about 90 degrees outside. very humid and overcast.

i'll keep you posted.:passitleft:

ok a little off topic but has anyone ever heard of big mac? i just got some and this shit is flat out amazing. i haven't seen much on the net about it. :joint:

What is it?

it's a type of hydro. a couple of hits off that shit and i was in another world!! one more update: the other straggler has fallen over, this time its leaves looking like something was nibbling at them. i have uprooted this one as well. i still have 3 left, all very healthy looking. :bongrip:

i checked out my plants tonight and they didn't look too hot, they seem to be drooping. after sticking my finger in the soil i found it was really moist. could this be causing my plants to droop? outside temp could also be a factor, its around 70 degrees at night. any suggestions?

somewhere around 95 degrees.

eyeless1 said:
those temps are pretty toasty in the day...maybe u should veg indoors for a bit until the sprouts are strong/big enough to handle that kind of heat...

P.S. how old are they?

yeah it's a bit hot out...the sprouts are less than 2 weeks old. i just recently transpanted them into 5 gal buckets and i'm not going to water them for a while due to them being flimsy. i've got to thinking about it and i think i gave it too much fert too early into the game and it made the leaves overgrow the root.

it'll be a miracle if they turn out female with all this stress.

ok so as i said i transplanted into some dryer soil and let it sit in direct sunlight and it stood up on its own! i took the straw i had it leaning against out so it would grow stronger on its own. temperature outside has weaned a little, the high is around 85 - 90 degrees during the day.

it just really fucking bums me out that i most likely killed my other seedlings by overwatering, but i'm not going to lose any sleep over some botched bag seeds. you learn from this.

also, when is it right to start giving my plants nutrients? as i said earlier in the journal i bought some seabird guano (they were out of bat guano), and was wondering when it was safe for the seedlings to start fertilizing? its pretty powerful shit, 10-0-0 (like 5% water soluble nitrogen) fert. i also have plant food thats 6-12-6.

Um, don't start watering until the plant is, roughly, a month old, maybe a little older... if you give it plant food and ferts, too early... u'll burn the plant

JuturnaSurvive said:
Um, don't start watering until the plant is, roughly, a month old, maybe a little older... if you give it plant food and ferts, too early... u'll burn the plant

gotcha

ok, so i brought my plant inside to grow under a 40 watt flouro tube, it's a philips daylight with a cool blue hue, box says its a 6500K spectrum. the reason i only have one going is because the magnetic ballast in the other slot is fucked. so i will use this until payday which is tomorrow.

but now i'm in a dilemma: should i shell out $20 - $30 for a new 4' shop light

and i'm about 2 weeks in (since i planted the seed) and it only has 2 leaves, with 2 more tiny ones growing out of the center, not including the seed leaves. is this normal? any help would be appreciated.

later :bongrip:

i've also started to experiment with building an aquafarm using these plans. check em out. this site is great for hydroponic info!

carp, the light was rated 65 watts but puts off as much light as a 500 watt metal halide. then all i gotta buy after that would be a small hps system. do bubblers work well? i have all the materials necessary to build one. except the reservoir.

i put another shop light with only one working ballast, so i have two messed up shop lights doing the work of one good one. my friend has also brought his 2 month old plant over to veg under the light, as it had been veggin (somehow) under a 15w flouro. Hopefully it'll get bigger and stronger with time.

smoke it if ya got it. :bongrip:

ok so i had to bring the plant indoors, my stepdads tripping out about having it in the garage, but i can see the reason for that. i now have the plant in my closet with a 100 watt rated CFL on it...i need to scratch my plans with both of these plants - give the other back to my friend and pray for the seedling and start again. the third times a charm right?

anyway, my hookup at work is going to sell me some bubblicious seeds. has anyone heard of this? i dont know if its bubble gum crossed with something or what, but we'll see what happens.

really contemplating buying that flourex though.

keep you posted :bongrip:

ok, so i am completely rethinking my whole grow. i am going to buy a 400 watt switchable MH-HPS light for about $160 with shipping and like i said i'm getting those bubblicious seeds soon too, so i am hoping for the best. i'm going to grow them in soil because (a) im a first time grower and (b) its much less work than hydro. plus it turns out good in the end, i've seen the finished product of these plants.

anyone have any thoughts? :bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom