My First Indoor Grow Please Follow Along

Here some pictures from yesterday, This plant should be about 65 days from first sprouting.
IMG_20170814_183233988_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170814_183205591_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170814_183613670_HDR.jpg

So wednesday night I had to move the plants from the closet in my bedroom to an outdoor shed. I had prepared the shed ahead of time as i plan on growing in there once the warmer months come along. so plants were moved out there, the reason being that the smell of the cannabis was sometimes permeating throughout my house. it wasn't overbearing and could potentially be passed off as something else to visitors but for us we obviously knew it was the plants. Supposedly NL is a lower odour strain although i have not grown other plants indoors before to compare the odour of these two plants to.
As you can see in the photo below I have chopped a couple buds off of eldest plant and began to dry them in the shed. I would say this bud repress about 1/5-1/6 of the bud on the plant. It was removed on Thursday when I turned the lights on (which is around 8pm). The plant would have been at 66-67 days old at that point, which is 3 days earlier than the advertised 70 days by GHS. I have never had to dry and cure weed and honestly most every time I have had "homegrown" it has been definitely not near the quality of bud one would find in a dispensary. i am from the east coast USA originally and since the mid-2000s until moving to South America i had smoked almost exclusively bud that was mailed in from Cali. This bud looks great so hopefully i will be able to dry and cure properly to preserve and increase the buds smell, smokability and potency.
Any tips or advice will be greatly appreciate!.!.! also was thinking this bit of bud will give me a little bit of practice/experience for when I chop the elder plant and then afterwards for the younger plant. I think the younger plant will take longer in total days grown than the elder plant
IMG_20170817_203440641_HDR.jpg

If you have room in your fridge you can give DrZiggy's low and slow drying method a go. A lot of growers are trying it and many are completely changing over to that method now.

Here's a link to the details
though many folks are going into paper bags instead of jars with screened lids.

Otherwise, there's a great collection of drying/curing methods here you can read through while you wait for the rest of the harvest!

The old traditional method is just hang dry (in the dark) with light air movement (I dry mine in a cardboard box with vent holes cut in and a fan aimed at the lower holes) at around 70° and around 55% RH until the stems pop when you bend them (not snap but not just fold). Then you cut off the buds into jars and burp them to let out the moisture that is moving out from inside the buds. A hygrometer in the jar is a really good idea. When the jars get to 62% RH you stop burping them as often and begin the long-term cure, which can last from a few weeks to a few months depending on how desperate you are for something to smoke!

That's a really stripped down version so do read the links above when you have a chance. So much to learn!

Thanks, as previously mentioned I live in a rural part of South America so hygrometer is not possible. I am kind of desperate for smoke since i do not have any bud other than whats available from this grow, so i was thinking of drying with 2 different methods so as to have smoke available asap and the larger portion to do right by the plant and give it a more proper cure.

Here is the younger plant. It will most definitely take longer than the elder plant. its at 8weeks 1day in this photo and now way do i see this being done in two weeks. i think it will go about 12 weeks total.
IMG_20170818_215658837.jpg
IMG_20170818_215644327_HDR.jpg

Looks like another 3-4 weeks . if thats tinfoil on your walls use the dull side towards your plants. The shiny side could burn your plants due to hot spots caused by wrinkles in the foil.

What do you think about the elder plant? A couple more days....?

No its not tin foil, but i don't know exactly what it would be in english, its building paper (e.g. Tyvek or Tar Paper) that has an aluminized side to it for better thermal insulting, I think. Honestly I didn't put it up because I was going to use it as a grow room but simply because it was cheaper than other options to cover the insulation and framing. plus it creates a vapor barrier so the humid winter here (humidity plus low temps is no good) does not affect the grow area so much.

Ok cool, thst should work well. I would need to see the trichomes but when the pistils have pretty much turned dark and start to recede into the flower there very close to harvest.

Today is day 70 for the elder plant, this also coincides with the as advertised 10 weeks to harvest timeframe put forth by GHS. I have decided to begin the harvest of the elder plant by first giving it a prolonged dark period of a minimum of 24 hours and possibly more. I am not sure of exact amount of days but at the minimum the elder plant I will harvest has not received water or nutes for 12 days.
I have heard it mentioned before about LED lighting but now I see it in action, the buds that are on their side, because of the LST, have purple colouring on the side exposed to the LED light and are a light green color on the other side that does not receive direct light.

So Today, sometime after 24 hours of darkness, the elder plant was chopped and is being cleaned-up before hanging to dry. I thought I had a scale and would have loved to give you the "wet weight" but although I do have a scale for whatever reason it is not registering properly or weighing.
The younger plant now has like 180 of watts to mature the bud, hopefully its not too late in its flowering cycle where would not make a difference. My electricity bills have been quite expensive between winter heating and electricity for 21 hrs of lighting. Electricity comparatively to, atleast where I'm from in USA, is quite expensive here. I live in a good area for Solar Energy. Has anyone heard of stories, articles, on the internet about people using solar energy to power artificial lighting for horticulture. ideally cannabis obviously.
IMG_20170822_182159126.jpg
IMG_20170822_175240138.jpg
IMG_20170822_175133640_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170822_175114495_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170822_175056503_HDR.jpg

Yea, I'm satisfied with the first plant and the second plant is looking even better, it smells better swell. its a much deeper more complex more balanced smell. I am just finishing trimming up the up the bud and will hang it up . I couldn't finish last night, my 15 month daughter decided to stay up till 1am last night so wasn't able to continue trimming and now were all bit tired. Thankfully no rain today and nice and sunny. Thank you guys for following along up to this point. I appreciate it. I was also on a spanish speaking forum, specifically becuase there were people from within the same country, access to similar products and a couple guys with the same led light. unfortunately i didn't really get many following or responses so i stopped posting

You're in the right place Ron, use the search function here at 420. Im sure you can find a Spanish speaking thread. Looking forward to your next grow so keep us posted. ..

So Today, sometime after 24 hours of darkness, the elder plant was chopped and is being cleaned-up before hanging to dry. I thought I had a scale and would have loved to give you the "wet weight" but although I do have a scale for whatever reason it is not registering properly or weighing.
The younger plant now has like 180 of watts to mature the bud, hopefully its not too late in its flowering cycle where would not make a difference. My electricity bills have been quite expensive between winter heating and electricity for 21 hrs of lighting. Electricity comparatively to, atleast where I'm from in USA, is quite expensive here. I live in a good area for Solar Energy. Has anyone heard of stories, articles, on the internet about people using solar energy to power artificial lighting for horticulture. ideally cannabis obviously.
IMG_20170822_182159126.jpg
IMG_20170822_175240138.jpg
IMG_20170822_175133640_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170822_175114495_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170822_175056503_HDR.jpg
Nice man. Hope it's some great smoke for ya

Back
Top Bottom